Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S.P.O.T.Y.
OK not strictly a Bears thing but who would be your sports personality of the year?

Andy Murray? - up to 4 in world and winner of two masters events and got to the final of the US open.

Lewis Hamilton? - youngest ever winner of Formula 1.
as andy murray hasnt won a proper trophy, it shouldnt be him
l dont classify driving as a sport, so shouldnt be hamilton

surely it will be one of the olympians - either the girl swimmer or one of the cyclists
I agree 100% SS,

It surely must be an Olympian.The top performers being Rebecca Adlington & Chris Hoy.That's not forgetting Joe Calzaghe as he is also a proven winner.
As much as I would love to see the Bears win team of the year,I think "Team GB" should get it as they performed outstandingly.

ALWAYS A BEAR :001_rolleyes:
ALWAYS A BEAR
Sorry SS, I have to disagree with you, motorsport is an atheletic activity, especially at the level Lewis Hamilton is performing.

The demands on the body to compete at that level are as hard as they are on the top performers in any other sport and top level drivers have very impressive fitness levels.

I would vote for Lewis, his achievements over the last two seasons, he has scored more points than anyone and becoming his sports youngest ever world champion, made him into a sportsman that everyone knows. he has got people who previously had no interest in motor racing watching Grand Prix, and he has become best known sportsmen in the world.

Also, unlike certain other sportsmen, you never hear anything of Lewis agting in a negative manner.
It' Nord alto torvo di s.
spiega con la maggior parte yorkshiremen sono bastardi miseri

Lewis Hamilton for me with Murray second. I agree with Tall Bear above. Also, Lewis puts his life on the line when driving a F1 car. He has succeeded this season and won the championship and for that reason he deserves the S.P.O.T.Y.. But I do think Hoy will win it(as many people with have the same views as SS and RB) with Lewis second and Murray 3rd.
Supporter of 2012 County Relegation candidates

my problem with formula one (ignoring that i find it quite boring) is all the technical stuff that goes into it, meaning it is not really a test of best driver, but who has the best team of technicians (and probably most money)

mabe lewis should win best team of the year instead
Chris Hoy.

End of story.

Fortunately I'll be taking my well-earned golfing break in Florida when this is on so I'll miss all the forced jollity and "edgy" humour that seems to ahve taken over this programme in recent years.
Mmmm...Personally - i'd go for an olympian.
I don't doubt the importance of Hamilton's achievement but i think the competitors who went to China had worked hard to get there without the millions and luxury that goes with F1.
Lewis will win as the public will remember his victory more than a gold medal winner back in August.
IF it really was based on 'personality', then Hamilton is way of the mark on that score!! :001_tt2:
I'm a horrid bint.....apparently!
Given that the word "personality" is in the title I do not see how Andy Murray could be in with any sort of a chance !!
Leicester Exile Wrote:Given that the word "personality" is in the title I do not see how Andy Murray could be in with any sort of a chance !!

If it was based on "personality" Id give it to Cappello who seems to have sorted out our footballers by the sheer force of his (and have Jonathan Ross as host :001_cool:).

Think the show's gone from virtually unmissable to nearly unwatchable, given that the BBC has so little sport.

Hamilton probably should win it** with the entire Olympic group as team of the year.

**though have a lot of time for Sweaty's view on motor racing as a sport. Having cars to help is a bit like a swimmer having an artificial fin. :001_tt2:
Supporter of the 2014 County Champions
Chris Hoy for me too.
I find watching motor-racing the ultimate in boredom but I'm not sure that I buy the artificial fin analogy. You can swim without a fin but you can't motor-race without, well, a motor.
I guess if we exclude motor racers from being sportsmen, the same has to go for cycling because it may well depend on who has the best bike. We could also exclude Usain Bolt because maybe he just had the best running shoes (or daps as we call them down here in Bristol). And as for that Sachin Tendulkar, well, if only I had a bat like his, I could be a world-beater.
I have just looked back through the past winners and one cyclist won it Tom Simpson who trajedly died in 1967 on the slopes of Mont Ventoux during a stage of the tour de france. Moter racing drivers have won it 6 times with both Mansell and Daemon Hill winning it twice. So history dictates that Lewis Hamllton will win the sports personailty of the year. Chris Hoy has done fanstatic, but when you consider pervious great cyclists like Chris Boardman and Grahaem Obree have not even figured then I dont think the sport is high profile enough for him to win. I think Murray will figure but will just loose out to Hamilton.
At least our SPOTY is open about being restricted to - and celebrating - British sportsmen and women, with a separate international award. If you want to see how parochial Americans are, look at the list of Sports Illustrated's SPOTY which is supposedly open to all nations. In the last 20 years, they have all been American apart from a Norwegian speed skater and a Dominican who plays in the American baseball leagues:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sportsman_of_the_Year
Or maybe it's a sign of our parochialism that we haven't hailed Brett Favre, Dwyane Wade and Tom Brady as the great stars that they undoubtedly are.
Terry Wrote:I find watching motor-racing the ultimate in boredom but I'm not sure that I buy the artificial fin analogy. You can swim without a fin but you can't motor-race without, well, a motor.
I guess if we exclude motor racers from being sportsmen, the same has to go for cycling because it may well depend on who has the best bike. We could also exclude Usain Bolt because maybe he just had the best running shoes (or daps as we call them down here in Bristol). And as for that Sachin Tendulkar, well, if only I had a bat like his, I could be a world-beater.

The drivers could run round the circuit making "vroom, vroom noises" and pretending to steer.

I must say I watched the last few laps when Hamilton won the title. When he overtook on the last lap that was one of the great moments in ("maybe-it-is, maybe-it-isnt-a") sport.
Kim - that would be as silly as making cricket club mascots dress up in ridiculous outfits and then get them to run an obstacle course to find the winner.........wait a minute, maybe we've found our SPOTY. Was it Lanky, the Lancashire mascot? He gets my vote!
Talking of personailities, I saw Chris Martin interviewed before the test V Aussies that finished today. He said that the New Zealand lower order must improve and give more support to the proper batters.

He promptly got a pair and lasted 4 balls in the match.
27 overs
110 runs
2 wickets
4.70 rpo

He wont be back with us.

Will he?
How about 13 times world champion Phil ''THE POWER'' Taylor for SPOTY?
If only, The Power winning SPOTY would be legendary.

Otherwise i'd love it to be Lewis Hamilton.
Chris, don't ask why Windy. No please don't. No.

Music: http://trip-tv.blogspot.com/
Me: http://mixing-and-matching.blogspot.com/