Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derbyshire - (Final, final) 3 day Friendly !
I've just found out that we have arranged one more 3 day Seconds Friendly against Derby - starting soon (17/9) at Portland Road.  The weathers lovely, I've got a 'pass out', I'm off there now !  I'll try and send a report later.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
I got to Portland Road as the 5th Derby wicket fell - with only 25 runs on the board !  It's Lunch now, Derby on 105 for 5 - a good recovery.

Bowlers:-
Miles - 3 for 26
Brookes - 2 for 17
Furrer - 0 for 23
Panayi - 0 for 28 (off 4 overs)
Roshan Balaji - 0 for 9

Our team:-
Pollock (Captain)
Mousley
Hose
Thomson
Mellor
Ethan Brookes
Hamza Shaikh (Knowle & Dorridge batsman)
Roshan Balaji (Academy)
Miles
Panayi

Furrer (only bowling)
Nic Keast (19 year old Lincolnshire MC all rounder - only batting)
We bowled Derby out for 184. Bowlers:-

Miles: 17-3-46-6
Brookes: 15-4-44-3
Furrer: 10-1-31-0
Panayi: 9.5-1-50-1
Roshan Balaji: 2-0-9-0

AT LAST, Miles seems to have sorted himself out.  He bowled with pace, on a good line and length.  I've been criticising him most of the season, but he did enough today to suggest he might still have a future with us and get back into the First team.  He just needs to continue the form in the 2nd innings of this, the last Seconds game, to perhaps get an outing in next weeks Championship game.

Of the rest, Ethan B looked good and George Furrer did well and was a bit unlucky not to get any wickets.  George Panayi though has really lost his way as the season has progressed and I fear he may be released.
Roshan plays his club cricket for the current Warwickshire league champions, Walmley.
On Sunday he scored a match winning 73 not out during Walmley 7 wicket victory in the second round of play off games to qualify for the Birmingham League.

He is 16 and in his 3rd season of regular first team cricket for Walmley.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
parkfield bear
Sorry, I didn't have chance to post an end of day update yesterday (out enjoying myself last night !). We finished on 225 for 4, after 42 overs (6 an over !):-

Pollock - 1
Mousley - 8
Hose - 121 (a wonderful innings - more on that later)
Thomson - 61 (very good support for Hose - play finished with him getting out)
Mellor - 10 NO

Hose clearly set out to prove something !  121 from 103 balls (with 16 x 4's and 5 x 6's) - he was imperious.  I can't remember him giving a chance - and he was out going for another big hit.  I don't know if his contract is up at the end of this season (?), but if it is, my guess is he just wanted to demonstrate that he deserves a renewal.  Even if the contract is not up, I would think he wanted to prove that he can play red ball cricket, as well as white ball !

I intend being back at Portland Road later today.
We finished our innings on 450 all out.  Today's scores:-

Mellor - 77 (see below)
Ethan Brookes - 0
Hamza Shaikh - 30
Roshan Balaji - 15
Nic Keast - 55 NO (see below)
Miles - 8
Panayi - 29

Alex Mellor batted valiantly - possibly in search of an extended contract.  With Tim extending his and the arrival of Burgess, I guess Alex might be under threat.  I think the jury is still out on whether he warrants being retained.  His keeping is OK and his batting CAN be good (but is a bit hit or miss).  I suppose the deciding factor could be his age - he will be nearly 29 at the start of next season and that is old for a keeping understudy - though his left handed batting might support a case for him to stay.  

Nic Keast looks a real prospect.  His 55 came up in just 84 balls. At 19, he has had a great season with Lincolnshire - and is a genuine all rounder, batting in the middle order and bowling a decent off spin.  On THIS one performance, he does warrant a few more games, to see if a contract might be a good thing for us.
A very late finish - it was pretty dark by the time the game ended !  Both sides agreed to go on as long as possible this evening, to avoid going on to the 3rd day and the extra expense that involved.  But it was SO worth it - we won by an Innings and 32 runs.  That was largely down to a magnificent (no other word for it) off spin bowling stint at the end by Alex Thomson.  Bowling figures:-

Miles: 8-1-30-0
Ethan Brookes: 9-5-23-2
Panayi: 7-0-29-0
Furrer: 6-0-25-1
Thomson: 8-4-16-5

Miles was a shadow of his 1st innings self - and throws up the question marks about his continued presence at Edgbaston again.  He wasn't bad, just not very good and started the innings in his old wayward way - though did get his mojo back a bit in his second stint.

Etahn Brookes and George Furrer were as capable as ever and both have the potential to go a long way for us.

George Panayi is posing a dilemna.  Is it worth sticking with him ?  He has ability, but just doesn't seem to have the nous to cope with pressure.  At the end of the season, he just seemed to have lost the skill of knowing how to take wickets.  I fear he may be saying goodbye to us soon.

Alex Thomson is another giving Mangement a dilemna.  He was wonderful in this match - in our Innings with the bat and in Derby's 2nd innings with the ball - if Jeets had played as well today, we'd be lauding his experience and skill.  BUT AT has never done it consistently - and rarely for the First team.  I genuinely don't know what I'd do if his contract is up (?) now.  I hope someone in power knows how to make that decision !  If I was pressed, I'd say sign a left arm spinner and/or leggie and give Alex one more season as reserve off spinner to prove himself.

That's it for the Seconds.  I hope Management have taken notice of the performances over the season - and can make difficult decisions on a logical basis and not on a 'mates basis', as has sometimes happened in the past ?!
(18-09-2019, 07:59 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: A very late finish - it was pretty dark by the time the game ended !  Both sides agreed to go on as long as possible this evening, to avoid going on to the 3rd day and the extra expense that involved.  But it was SO worth it - we won by an Innings and 32 runs.  That was largely down to a magnificent (no other word for it) off spin bowling stint at the end by Alex Thomson.  Bowling figures:-

Miles: 8-1-30-0
Ethan Brookes: 9-5-23-2
Panayi: 7-0-29-0
Furrer: 6-0-25-1
Thomson: 8-4-16-5

Miles was a shadow of his 1st innings self - and throws up the question marks about his continued presence at Edgbaston again.  He wasn't bad, just not very good and started the innings in his old wayward way - though did get his mojo back a bit in his second stint.

Etahn Brookes and George Furrer were as capable as ever and both have the potential to go a long way for us.

George Panayi is posing a dilemna.  Is it worth sticking with him ?  He has ability, but just doesn't seem to have the nous to cope with pressure.  At the end of the season, he just seemed to have lost the skill of knowing how to take wickets.  I fear he may be saying goodbye to us soon.

Alex Thomson is another giving Mangement a dilemna.  He was wonderful in this match - in our Innings with the bat and in Derby's 2nd innings with the ball - if Jeets had played as well today, we'd be lauding his experience and skill.  BUT AT has never done it consistently - and rarely for the First team.  I genuinely don't know what I'd do if his contract is up (?) now.  I hope someone in power knows how to make that decision !  If I was pressed, I'd say sign a left arm spinner and/or leggie and give Alex one more season as reserve off spinner to prove himself.

That's it for the Seconds.  I hope Management have taken notice of the performances over the season - and can make difficult decisions on a logical basis and not on a 'mates basis', as has sometimes happened in the past ?!

Confirmed :Mellor and Payani released @the end of the season