Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contracts
(18-10-2019, 03:24 PM)Terry Wrote: Available but a bit of a gamble for whoever takes him on:
https://www.cricket365.com/countries/eng...eb-hameed/

I mentioned Hameed as a possible incomer, when discussing Terry's assessment of the 2019 season.  I said then, that he HAD such potential, but has seriously lost his way.  I agree with LE, that a decent batting coach COULD bring that talent out again.  If we're still willing to make use of Gary Palmers 'ad hoc' services, perhaps he could be the man to 'bring the old Hameed' back ?  It might be worth a gamble.  If Ash was still here, I wonder whether he might have been prepared to take a punt, given his knowldge of HH ?
You can take the boy out of Atherstone, but you can never take Atherstone ........... !
I seem to recall that there was a suggestion that Hameed's problem was one of over-coaching. He had a good first class technique and temperament but somebody decided he needed to learn how to slog. Result: one confused and ineffective batsman.
I don't know the truth or details of this but I might think it worthwhile to investigate whether just letting Hameed do his own thing and encouraging him to enjoy the game might get him going again.
I recall reading somewhere around the time he left Lancs that he was being largely coached by his Dad who isn't a pro coach. Whatever has happened it can certainly be said of Hameed is that there is a player in there.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(18-10-2019, 06:02 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(18-10-2019, 03:24 PM)Terry Wrote: Available but a bit of a gamble for whoever takes him on:
https://www.cricket365.com/countries/eng...eb-hameed/

I mentioned Hameed as a possible incomer, when discussing Terry's assessment of the 2019 season.  I said then, that he HAD such potential, but has seriously lost his way.  I agree with LE, that a decent batting coach COULD bring that talent out again.  If we're still willing to make use of Gary Palmers 'ad hoc' services, perhaps he could be the man to 'bring the old Hameed' back ?  It might be worth a gamble.  If Ash was still here, I wonder whether he might have been prepared to take a punt, given his knowldge of HH ?

I agree with all you say about Hameed, BR.  Perhaps Farbrace might also be keen - of course, he was England Assistant Coach in 2016 when Hameed played his 3 Test matches and did so well.  With the talk about whether a Coach could get him back to his best, I agree, Gary Palmer might be the one.  His success is based on a very unorthodox method - which few Coaches use.  It worked with Sibley and Pollock, perhaps that different approach could help Hameed.  He was a natural opener, I think he might be worth a gamble.  Of course, there may be a few other Counties willing to take that gamble.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
By this stage of the off season, most counties would have signed any 'free agent's" they were going to add to their squads, the fact there's no, reported, interest in Hamid from any counties, does suggest that he's not considered by the county coaches to be a viable signing at this stage.
His performances with Lancashire over the past three seasons have been dreadful, and with the 'baggage' attached, it's understandable why he's not, yet, found a new county.

Has he done anything to help his own situation, eg arranging to play in Australian grade cricket over the winter?

The question 17 counties are asking themselves is, is he better than the players we currently have available? 7 if yes, do his salary demands offer good value?
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
(14-10-2019, 10:16 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(11-10-2019, 10:09 AM)Terry Wrote: From George Dobell's review of Warwickshire's season in this month's edition of The Cricketer:
"He [Paul Farbrace] has committed to providing further opportunities for home-grown players and has no plans for further acquisitions."

I have just read George's article and (you're right Terry), Farbrace did seem to emphasise the point that we have 'no plans for further acquisitions'.  That emphasis raises two questions in my mind:-

1)  He used the phrase 'no plans' - ie we've got no plans at the moment - but could well have later in the close season and
2)  He said 'further acquistions' - which doesn't necessarily mean that we won't give contracts to players who played for us this season.  In other words, the likes of Chris Green, Jake Lintott, James Wainman etc could well be seen as non-acquisitions.  Similarly, the definition might be stretched to include players released by other Counties - and that might throw up the possibility of signing youngish players like Ryan Pringle, Hasseb Hameed, Ollie Rayner, Paul Van Meekeren, Abi Sakande and Karl Carver - all people who were seen as rising stars in the past (and still have a decent record in County cricket), but have (sometimes significantly, as in Hameed's case) 'lost their way'.  

Now I might be clutching at straws here, but like so many on here, I do seriously doubt that we have a good enough squad to do well next year - even with the possible return of the myriad injured players this season and a serious return to form of others......!

I really do hope we look seriously at strengthening and certainly giving a longish contract to the likes of Chris Green (IF he does qualify as a non-overseas player) and Jake Lintott (who was very impressive in the Seconds games I saw him play) - and possibly James Wainman (who never really had much chance to show his abilities this summer), who does give a left arm seam option. 

Of the other players BR has mentioned, I have already said it MIGHT be an idea to take a gamble on Hameed, as an opening 'understudy' to DS (though I note GM's doubts).  As to the others, I can only see Karl Carver as a possibility - assuming we don't go with Lintott (who might not want to come, given his job at Queens College and his cricket in the South West) - we do desperately need a left arm spinner and Carver did show much talent in his early years at Headingley.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"