Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire vs. Derbyshire at Barnt Green
A very pleasant few hours at the lovely Barnt Green ground. Somewhere I haven't been before but I certainly will be going again.

We won the toss and batted and after losing Dan Mousley (on his birthday) early on, Liam Banks and Ian Bell added 81 for the second wicket before Banks was bowled for a decent 52 which included some nice shots. Matt Lamb soon perished and Belly was out for 40 before lunch. He looked a bit short of where you'd want him to be, but he spent a decent amount of time at the crease and unfurled one classic cover drive.

After lunch Michael Burgess (another birthday boy) and Alex Thomson added 109. Burgess played some crunching shots in his 60 and looks like he'll be an asset for the T20. Thomson played really well after a sticky start and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game down at Essex. He was 75 not out when I left at Tea and just missed out on a century, being out for 99.

Ed Pollock went quickly, playing across the line to an off-spinner but Alex Mellor, playing as a batsman, added 58 with Thomson before being out on the stroke of tea.

After I left Ethan Brookes rattled up a quick 60 to help us to 367 and then took a wicket as Derbyshire finished on 17-1.

Thomson was the most impressive performer although after the efforts of our batsmen at Southampton (Sam Hain & Rob Yates excepted), Banks, Burgess and Belly (if he feels he's ready) could come into contention for trip to Chelmsford next weekend.
(08-07-2019, 07:51 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: A very pleasant few hours at the lovely Barnt Green ground. Somewhere I haven't been before but I certainly will be going again.

We won the toss and batted and after losing Dan Mousley (on his birthday) early on, Liam Banks and Ian Bell added 81 for the second wicket before Banks was bowled for a decent 52 which included some nice shots. Matt Lamb soon perished and Belly was out for 40 before lunch. He looked a bit short of where you'd want him to be, but he spent a decent amount of time at the crease and unfurled one classic cover drive.

After lunch Michael Burgess (another birthday boy) and Alex Thomson added 109. Burgess played some crunching shots in his 60 and looks like he'll be an asset for the T20. Thomson played really well after a sticky start and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game down at Essex. He was 75 not out when I left at Tea and just missed out on a century, being out for 99.

Ed Pollock went quickly, playing across the line to an off-spinner but Alex Mellor, playing as a batsman, added 58 with Thomson before being out on the stroke of tea.

After I left Ethan Brookes rattled up a quick 60 to help us to 367 and then took a wicket as Derbyshire finished on 17-1.

Thomson was the most impressive performer although after the efforts of our batsmen at Southampton (Sam Hain & Rob Yates excepted), Banks, Burgess and Belly (if he feels he's ready) could come into contention for  trip to Chelmsford next weekend.

Thanks for the report RB.  This game is the first Bears match at BG, I've missed in years (we're on holiday in Cumbria).  Sounds like I'm missing a treat.  I look forward to a couple more reports.

I see Bald Reynard has said we have another trialist playing.  George Furrer, a 20 year old left arm seamer from New South Wales.  He's made an impact this morning with a couple of wickets.  No sign of another game for Jake Lintott at the moment - he is playing for Wiltshire now though - and in devastating form by the sound of it (2 x 5 wickets and a 50) ?
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
Live scores link https://warwickshireccc.com/fixtures/sec...july-2019/
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
A great win for the lads!  We won by 227 runs, bowling Derby out for 99.  Ethan Brookes took 6 for 18 off 9.3 overs, Alex Thomson took 2 for 18 and 1 apiece for Matt Lamb & George Furrer.

As reported earlier, we made 260 for 5 in our Second innings, with Ed Pollock getting 121 off 103 balls.  Other scores:-
Banks - 30
Mousley - 42
ML - 10 NO
Burgess - 41
AT - 8
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
Great to see Ed Pollock getting a red ball hundred on his home ground, & on his birthday. Also very good to see Ethan B getting success with the ball.

While the club has had a tough few seasons with the rebuilding of the squad, with the young players we have developing there could well be a very successful future.
While Robert may be dead, Robert was not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!