Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Azeem Rafiq
On trial - playing for the Seconds in the Trophy match v Worcester today.  Another spinner given a go - a 28 year old Off Spin bowler (71 x 1st class wickets, at an average of 39.49) and decent lower order batsman (a 21.65 average - with a ton and 4 x 50's), released by Yorkshire at the end of last season.
Decent one day cricketer when I've seen him play
(18-04-2019, 04:56 PM)ajones1328 Wrote: Decent one day cricketer when I've seen him play

He averages 29.65 with the ball (43 wickets, at an economy rate of 5.65) and 18.00 with bat (1 x 50) in the 50 over game - not bad.  He also has a very good T20 record - and played in nearly all the York T20 matches last season. .

In the Seconds 50 over Trophy game against Worcester today, he took 2 for 31 off 9 overs - also not too shoddy.
He seems to be a player who lost his way with Yorkshire - there can't be too many players that Yorkshire have released twice, first in 2014 and then again last year.
He captained England at under-17 level and also captained the Yorkshire T20 side in 2012.
It would be interesting to see what he could achieve at Edgbaston.  But it would be a bit of a blow to Alex Thomson who could drop down to third choice off-spinner.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(18-04-2019, 08:35 PM)Terry Wrote: He seems to be a player who lost his way with Yorkshire - there can't be too many players that Yorkshire have released twice, first in 2014 and then again last year.
He captained England at under-17 level and also captained the Yorkshire T20 side in 2012.
It would be interesting to see what he could achieve at Edgbaston.  But it would be a bit of a blow to Alex Thomson who could drop down to third choice off-spinner.

I'd forgotten that. I think his T20 experience would be what would attract him to us - and a decent all round White ball record. 

If we do sign him (big IF), I don't see him as coming in above Alex, simply being another spinner to choose from - especially in limited overs matches.  With Josh and Sunny going, we still would have only 3 spinners in the squad - admittedly all Off spinners.