Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Kent
Typical Dobell - a brilliant tribute that says it all about how we all feel about the career of one of the best loved players ever to have played for Warwickshire and England.
LE - aka John
I hope the club give Trotty an honorary life membership. Seems the least they can do after such long and loyal service.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 2 users Like Exiled Bear's post:
Leicester Exile, paulbear
Good luck to Wright, Barker and Rankin also, would love to see Boyd get some serious Test scalps. Also congrats to Tim Ambrose on most dismissals in either division.
(26-09-2018, 09:57 PM)Terry Wrote: An appropriate farewell article from George:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8204/...n-two-2018

A wonderful tribute. Is there a better cricket journalist around at the moment? I don’t think so - and it made me cry, not ashamed to say.
(26-09-2018, 11:26 PM)stingray Wrote:
(26-09-2018, 09:57 PM)Terry Wrote: An appropriate farewell article from George:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8204/...n-two-2018

A wonderful tribute. Is there a better cricket journalist around at the moment? I don’t think so - and it made me cry, not ashamed to say.

There are a few cricket writers whose work makes me cry - but not in the way George can do!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Leicester Exile
Brilliant piece, as ever, from George
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Fantastic final day@the oval, if anyone @the ecb was watching I for one would like to know what's to dislike about this wonderful game that keeps delivering
How do you beat Surrey this year? The only way is Essex, see what I did there?
Awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LE - aka John
I was going to report narsty simon but in the drop down menu there wasn't a title that read 'For a ******* **** attempt at humour'.
[-] The following 2 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, Lilly
Apologies guys still on a high from yesterday
So am I but yesterday was both a high and a low as I hate it when the season ends as it means any gap where cricket was in the sports media will probably be taken up by meaningless football headlines. Also seeing 4 players go to pastures new (Ooh! get me) was hard. Didn't catch sight of Boyd Rankin, hope a few people gave him a fond farewell like all the others. Hopefully new players will grasp their chances and forge good careers.
We were disappointed that Jim didn't even mention him with the other leavers and retirees, let's not forget he was part of the 2012championship winning team
Rankin was phenomenal between 2011-2014.
Perhaps Boyd just left when it was obvious that he wouldn't get a game. Even though Olly HD didn't let anyone down in the CC games he played, you would wonder why Rankin was never considered for any of those. Also think we missed a trick in the T20 in not playing him as the one thing we did not seem to have was early wickets in the powerplay which meant we were going for 200+ on so many occasions. Even if he'd gone for a few runs, an early wicket or 2 is better than the 60-0 (6) that we seemed to see too often. Hope he takes a bucketful at Test level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
randombear
Rankin was, throughout his time with Warwickshire, unavailable for more days than he was available to play, due to time spent with Ireland &, mainly, injuries.
Eventually a point is reached where the player has little value to the side and it's better to move on and give opportunities to others who will be available more often and, hopefully, give the club more days play for the money.

Every sports team needs to refresh the squad regularly, otherwise you have the situation Warwickshire had last year with a squad of over 30's who were in decline and inexperienced back up's as they hadn't been given a real opportunity to show their ability at first team level.

It is always disappointing when players leave the club, but for many a new challenge will give their career a boost.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Agreed he did have injuries which were frustrating for everyone but there were plenty of times when he could have been picked but management chose to pick other players often when it made little sense. What we as a club failed to do too often was phase players in so that we had young players who looked the part playing with experienced players. It worked when Hain first came into the side. From his point of view he did well almost straight away so was able to stay in the side but often we had someone in for one game and then off they went.
I agree with you on our failings in giving young players a chance, especially when the older players prefered where not making positive contributions to the side.
This year, Henry Brookes, Oli Stone, Will Rhodes and Dom Sibley were given a long run in the side, which allowed them to become used to the demands at first team level and to become valuable members of the side. Others will, hopefully, be given chances next season. Ideally Matt Lamb is given the chance to show his ability in all forms of the game, & Ed Pollack continues his development as a match winning white ball batsman.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
I liked the look of Lamb when I saw him. The leaving/retirement of Chopra/Westwood gave us no choice but to look for other openers and sometimes when your 'Hand is forced' it creates situation where you have no choice but to get heads together and start putting an idea into action. The fact the Rhodes/Sibley partnership looks like it could be a good one might be a really good case of intelligent recruiting "Because we had no other choice". In terms of getting in players from other counties, the atmosphere/environment at Edgbaston I think can often bring out the best in players - Chopra, Rankin, Clarke and Wright were much better players once they came over to us. That's why I cannot understand how certain players have turned down a chance to come here instead of looking at how other recruitments have got on whilst moving to Edgbaston.
I'm sure there are a number of factors, some players may not want the pressure of having to compete for a place, some will have had financially better offers, some may have decided that they don't want to move to Birmingham,
Sadly not every professional sportsman is willing to make the effort and commitment needed to be truly successful.

If you really want to be successful, surely you'd want to be playing for a side with great facilities, that has a great support staff and good coaches, and be surrounded by players who also want the team to succeed?
There are GOOD Mugabe's