Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Kent
It would explain why we've been trying to hoover up available seamers and it is a worry. Barker, Stone and Brookes would be a serious Division 1 attack. Norwell, Miles and OHD aren't going to worry anybody.
(25-09-2018, 06:00 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: A bit worrying from George Dobell's report that apparently Barker is likely to leave. Also, was it common knowledge that Sunny Singh is being released? And who is Rob Yates?
I don't think it has been publicly announced that Sunny Singh is being released, though he hasn't played since July. It is disappointing in that he is the first player from the Chance to Shine scheme to make it to first-class level. I suspect that Alex Thomson has got ahead of him in the spin pecking order.
Rob Yates isn't being signed from elsewhere as George's report maybe implies. He is a product of the Bears' player pathway. He is a former Warwick School pupil, who plays for Moseley. He has scored a double century against Somerset 2nd team.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I would be as disappointed to see Sunny Singh released as Terry was to see Josh Poysden go. I watched him deputise for Jeets when the latter was away with New Zealand last year and thought he was very impressive for someone just starting in first class cricket. 17 wickets at 26.5 including two five-fers from a young spinner would have many counties salivating. I hope we are backing the right horse with Thomson. Jeets won't last forever.
Looks like there will be no fairy tale ending to Trotty's career as Kent are unlikely to get a big lead for the Bears to chase.
LE - aka John
(25-09-2018, 07:56 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Looks like there will be no fairy tale ending to Trotty's career as Kent are unlikely to get a big lead for the Bears to chase.

Give him the ball when they are seven down. He can finish his career with a hat-trick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
Leicester Exile
Sadly very true LE.... But nice idea GB :-)
According to an article by George on Cricinfo Barker is heading to Hampshire. Very disappointing. Apparently we did offer a two year deal.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Tayls79
I agree that the loss of Barker, if it is confirmed, will be very disappointing.
I recall that the Club expressed some time ago the desire to improve relations and links with ethnic minority communities, especially (but not only) the Asian community.  It seems a shame, therefore,that in recent times, we have parted company with Varun Chopra, Ateeq Javid, Sunny Singh and now Keith Barker; and Andy Umeed seems out in the cold, playing for Derbyshire seconds.
I'm not suggesting that there has been any discrimination, just that it is an unfortunate pattern.  Jeetan apart, it will be a very white looking team next year.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
parkfield bear, Tayls79
Total shock to see Trott get out and there was an audible groan around the ground. Cannot believe Barker could be going also. I have heard the rumours like everybody else but seems it could be true. How can he go to Hampshire, don't you have to be a Kolpak or an ex-Test player who has jacked it all in for a bag load of dosh. Disappointing to see all these players going because we couldn't offer them an extra year here and there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Tayls79
The news on Barker is a bit mystifying as well as disappointing and I guess it must come down to the fact we’re a bit strapped for cash. It doesn’t make sense for him to go to Hants on cricketing terms. They focus, clearly, on limited overs which Barker doesn’t play a lot of. So he’s there for CC cricket only.   I think, a little biased, that his best chance of a Div one pennant is with us. It also seems a bit of an admission that Chris Wood, their home reared left armer isn’t going to cut it at the four day game.

I’d have thought that the variety Barker gives us and the ability to kick up a bit of rough for Jeetan in addition to his wickets and runs would be worth any amount of cash and it’s clear that Norwell and Miles are a fair bit cheaper than him and Wright. Perhaps someone on this forum with more knowledge of the matter would be able to explain the financial impact of the payment we have to make to Birmingham CC soon?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tayls79's post:
paulbear
Yes, the whole financial aspect of the club would make a good yearbook in itself - Are we going to regret that big concrete structure that dominates the ground. The shadow that it casts is as financial as it is physical. Amazing just how few people actually sit in it on match days.
Referring to the above.... the problem is that at the time it was mandatory to hold test cricket.... The previous stand was in a poor state. One of the problems is that not many people attend four day cricket (well not many who either pay for full price membership or on the gate). The other interesting thing from Tayls post above is how many clubs do actually focus on the championship... The number seems to be declining? Then to be fair my balance over the last decade has swung from red to white ball cricket.... So much so that after three decades I gave up my membership and only attend red ball matches occasionally (and to be honest a day at a championship match does seem expensive). It is time that T20 season ticket holders were given some degree of membership rights as the number of FULL paying members drops probably as low as 5,000.

Anyway, I digress, our prospects of winning the division two title now look very good. The team having done as much as they were asked of.
(26-09-2018, 01:13 AM)paulbear Wrote: Yes, the whole financial aspect of the club would make a good yearbook in itself - Are we going to regret that big concrete structure that dominates the ground. The shadow that it casts is as financial as it is physical. Amazing just how few people actually sit in it on match days.

Not this argument again. Without the new pavilion the club would be in massive trouble -no international cricket, no finals day etc, etc. I sometimes wonder if these people who drag this old chestnut up actually remember what the old pavilion was like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Malc's post:
narsty simon
Yes I do and it was a mess but the one we have now is cold and the design of it means that people who sit in there are trussed up like Antarctic explorers trying to keep warm. A new one was needed but one where you get some sun and one that is a bit more pleasing on the eye. So 'These people' who bring up this 'Old chestnut' have a legitimate argument and looking at the few who were there during the first 2 days of this game, a lot of people would agree with me. I look at other pavilions on Test grounds and the design just makes them look like a pavilion should do - and they are full of people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
parkfield bear
The argument is not about should we have kept the old pavilion (heaven forbid) but that the replacement should have been more spectator friendly. I am so glad I kept the City membership and didn't take up the option to switch. Even Steve Rouse moaned about it when it was built because there is an area of grass that never sees the sun! Mind you I suppose Steve used to moan about everything!!!!
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
paulbear
Barker with two in an over! Need to keep him...
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Agreed - we MUST keep KB but the question must be asked - why on earth would he want to go to Hants?
LE - aka John
I would love for Kent to set us 10 runs to win and we just send Trotty out for them. Would be perfect...unless he got out
That was short lived!

WE WON DIVISION TWO

Well done to all concerned
There it is. A thumping win to set the seal on a succesful season in which our primary objective was achieved. Top effort.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.