Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Players leaving?
Does anyone know which players are leaving the club and / or are out of contract? The only one I know who is definitely leaving is Boyd Rankin.
(14-09-2018, 11:23 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: Does anyone know which players are leaving the club and / or are out of contract? The only one I know who is definitely leaving is Boyd Rankin.

....and Chris Wright, of course.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Barker is out of contract. Umeed and Singh have not played in the last 4/5 games for the 2's.
Blimey if Barker left as well, and Olly Stone is with England or crocked, we'll look a bit light - especially in Div 1.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
I understand that Andy Umeed has the offer of a two year Scotland contract. other players with simila contracts have continued to play for English counties.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
The side from 2010 to the present has gradually subsided and hardly any are left. during that time we won a championship, 2 Lords cup finals and a T20 final plus runners up in 2 championships, 2 Lords cup finals and a T20. By the end of the season, Chopra, Westwood, Troughton, Trott, Johnson, Evans, Clarke, Javid, Wright, Rankin, Porterfield, Carter will have left for one reason or another and it is really sad but inevitable. I apologise for any omissions. When the best of our side was really cooking, no one could touch us.
Not necessarily all bad though. A lot of those players were slumping towards retirement and I think a lot of us were lamenting how the 2012 Champo team were coming to the end of their careers at the same time not even 18 months ago. I’d wave them all off happily if I was confident we had a batch of decent academy players coming through. However, I’m not certain that’s totally the case.

Having said that, on the assumption we do get promoted, I’m not seeing the reason why Barker would want to leave. In division one he can get all he wants at Edgbaston. Would stick in the throat a bit if he went to Surrey or Notts for a bit extra cash.

(16-09-2018, 12:22 PM)paulbear Wrote: The side from 2010 to the present has gradually subsided and hardly any are left. during that time we won a championship, 2 Lords cup finals and a T20 final plus runners up in 2 championships, 2 Lords cup finals and a T20. By the end of the season, Chopra, Westwood, Troughton, Trott, Johnson, Evans, Clarke, Javid, Wright, Rankin, Porterfield, Carter will have left for one reason or another and it is really sad but inevitable. I apologise for any omissions. When the best of our side was really cooking, no one could touch us.
(14-09-2018, 02:11 PM)bear4life Wrote: Barker is out of contract. Umeed and Singh have not played in the last 4/5 games for the 2's.

Last year Singh was being talked of as a real prospect and I saw him show quite a bit of potential in a couple of games. He does seem to be behind Thomson now as second spinner. Another one who hasn't kicked on possibly?
Or hasn't been given a fair chance to kick on this season, although Poysden did out bowl him big time, in the seconds this year. A Strange decision to only give him one game in the CC this year, given the summer we have had, and very little one day cricket as well. We don't know how much longer Patel will be with us, so in my opinnion don't agree with letting Poysden go. If Singh is leaving as well, again seems strange only in hie early 20's. Surely he needs time to come good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rednalbear's post:
paulbear
I agree as I think do most about Poysden and Singh and as you say once Patel has gone, is the cupboard going to be totally bare and are we then going to look stupid by having to go elsewhere for spin bowlers. Tayls79, my point was mainly me getting all nostalgic and weepy for past glories as it was such a good period like the 1989-97 period after having watched some disasters (1980 JPL apart) from 1973-1988 if anyone can remember that far back when despite having had some really good and in some cases great players we struggled to win much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Tayls79
I get you. I think our points are complimentary.

(17-09-2018, 06:17 PM)paulbear Wrote: I agree as I think do most about Poysden and Singh and as you say once Patel has gone, is the cupboard going to be totally bare and are we then going to look stupid by having to go elsewhere for spin bowlers. Tayls79, my point was mainly me getting all nostalgic and weepy for past glories as it was such a good period like the 1989-97 period after having watched some disasters (1980 JPL apart) from 1973-1988 if anyone can remember that far back when despite having had some really good and in some cases great players we struggled to win much.
Yes, Tayls79 you are right. Nostalgia eh! It ain't what it used to be.
Interesting to note that Andy Umeed is playing for Derbyshire 2s and in fact scored 100 for them! Suspect this implies his future is away from Edgbaston - I would have thought that Durham or Glamorgan with their batting woes might be interested too. Wish him well for the future.
(19-09-2018, 10:39 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Interesting to note that Andy Umeed is playing for Derbyshire 2s and in fact scored 100 for them! Suspect this implies his future is away from Edgbaston - I would have thought that Durham or Glamorgan with their batting woes might be interested too. Wish him well for the future.

I had noticed that he had not played in recent 2ndXI matches even though he has had a good season in the Birmingham League batting at number 4 for West Bromwich Dartmouth. So suspected that he would not be with Warwickshire next season, with Sibley and Rhodes the settled opening partnership and Liam Banks, Ed Pollock and Rob Yates opening in the 2ndXI. I thought that Andy was a good captain of the 2ndXI for the 18 months he performed the role but the management decided to make Ed Pollock captain this season. I will always remember Andy's outstanding century in the day/night Championship match under lights against Lancashire last season, which was a remarkable innings in concentration and important in ensuring that the Bears obtained a draw, when our other batsmen all failed. However he was not able to make the most of his opportunity in the later weeks of last season.