Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leicester at Grace Road
Building a big lead now.... 150 would probably do... but keep on going and get those batting points.... plenty of time to win this.
Maximum batting points and we've declared! Excellent stuff.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Warleybear
Of course we can argue just how weak the opposition is in division two and what should be done about it, but you can always benchmark against yourselves, somehow. Getting that fifth batting point when Sussex and Kent got none between them I thought was a great achievement given our batting woes. Great sign of intent to get it then immediately put them into bat.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tayls79's post:
narsty simon
3wickets for Barker who has since limped off, good job it wasn't Woakes the ecb would have deducted us points for that!!
Great effort by Durham against Sussex today. Could be a big day.
Yes.... They have done well and to be fair aren't on my watch list.

The triumverate of Leics, Derby's, Northants would also be joined by Gloucs and Glamorgan as sides who seem to be more interested / capable of white ball cricket. I will put up some analysis of the championship and the positive way forward at the end of the season.

Anyway.... Excellent to see the bears going for the jugular.... A sign of a good team.
Good win.... cant ask for any more.
Put a sock in it Warley we all know on here about your opinions on these clubs, you have only mentioned it about a million times over the years. Time you came up with something fresh to say. With Durham about to beat Sussex, avoid defeat next week against Sussex we are promoted.
(12-09-2018, 03:48 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Put a sock in it Warley we all know on here about your opinions on these clubs, you have only mentioned it about a million times over the years. Time you came up with something fresh to say. With Durham about to beat Sussex, avoid defeat next week against Sussex we are promoted.

Well said, it was only a few weeks ago that Leicestershire were being tipped as contenders for one of the promotion places themselves, they have been very unlucky with injuries to 3/4 seamers. As with many counties they do their best with limited resources, good luck to them.
Well done Bears a professional performance, we looked very strong at times, it would be nice to remain unbeaten against our two main rivals for promotion and hopefully win at least one of the games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
rednalbear
(12-09-2018, 03:48 PM)rednalbear Wrote: Put a sock in it Warley we all know on here about your opinions on these clubs, you have only mentioned it about a million times over the years. Time you came up with something fresh to say. With Durham about to beat Sussex, avoid defeat next week against Sussex we are promoted.

847249 times actually - don't exaggerate Wink
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
rednalbear

Well said, it was only a few weeks ago that Leicestershire were being tipped as contenders for one of the promotion places themselves, they have been very unlucky with injuries to 3/4 seamers. As with many counties they do their best with limited resources, good luck to them.
Well done Bears a professional performance, we looked very strong at times, it would be nice to remain unbeaten against our two main rivals for promotion and hopefully win at least one of the games.

(12-09-2018, 05:15 PM)Rayb Wrote:

Im afraid its a sad state of affairs when you can not comment on the state of the championship.... especially on this rare occasion when we get to see the second tier for real. Ive watched championship cricket since 1977 and I honestly believe that for the sake of the championship, England and those five clubs mentioned above the championship needs structural reform. Of course Leicestershire were never going to be promoted... they were always going to run out of steam with excuses flowing and of course their limited resources (that will never improve?). The fact that they and Derbys have held the wooden spoon on over 70 percent of the time this century, a problem that wont go away. Their best hopes are with white ball cricket. I'd even possibly suggest adding some other completley new T20 sides in other areas of the country. The standard of the second division has proven to be poor this year. I honestly believe that the championship should either be a dozen teams with red ball cricket played across the whole season.... the remaining sides focusing on white ball cricket.... which is what they seem to be doing anyway.

So yes, I will put a sock in it..... but dont be mistaken.... I'm not the only one thinking that the standard of division two is poor. County cricket can not survive as some polite hobby.

Anyway.... As for the Bears, as I said earlier.... A good win.... We couldn't ask for anymore. Hopefully we can quickly make it back into the first division.
No one is arguing about the quality of 2nd div compared to 1st Div. In football 3rd and 4th tier and possibly even 2nd tier is similarly poor quality compared to the Premier League but no-one is saying they should scrap their leagues and just concentrate on the cup competitions.
LE - aka John
I would rationalise red ball cricket and play it from April to September.... Not all the current 18 counties would be part of the new red ball championship.... If they wanted to continue with red ball cricket, then I would put them in with the minor counties. Perhaps as a third and fourth division.... But promotion to the higher tier would not be by automatic promotion..... It would be based over five years performance (points awarded on a year by year basis based on league position). I would have a white ball competition toughout the season..... Something like the old Sunday league. Along with all the counties (including those that drop out of tier 1 red ball cricket), it may even involve new teams from new areas. I would also have a T20 and forty or fifty over cup competition. Cricket would also be played at weekends and bank holidays.
Heard the MD at Worcester on the radio earlier suggest he is less inclined to support the idea for conferences (as some Div 2 counties and Yorkshire/Lancs have begun to advocate) but would rather the 8-10 split Division 1 and 2 was reversed so 10 teams in Division 1 and 8 teams in Div 2 perhaps as early as the 2020 season. Could mean 4 promotion places up for grabs next season.
(12-09-2018, 08:43 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I would rationalise red ball cricket and play it from April to September.... Not all the current 18 counties would be part of the new red ball championship.... If they wanted to continue with red ball cricket, then I would put them in with the minor counties. Perhaps as a third and fourth division.... But promotion to the higher tier would not be by automatic promotion..... It would be based over five years performance (points awarded on a year by year basis based on league position). I would have a white ball competition toughout the season..... Something like the old Sunday league. Along with all the counties (including those that drop out of tier 1 red ball cricket), it may even involve new teams from new areas. I would also have a T20 and forty or fifty over cup competition. Cricket would also be played at weekends and bank holidays.

If these ideas were in place now Warks would be condemned to 5 years of Div 2 cricket. The flaw in your idea is for any team up at the top of Div 2 would not be able to retain any player with ambitions. The result would be no team would climb out of div 2
LE - aka John

There is a lot of tosh posted on here but that is the best one I've ever read, members of other counties can see these comments and no doubt find Warley's comments deeply offensive he is a disgrace to WCCC and should be ashamed of himself, the triumvirate etc keep losing their best players to the bigger clubs, a sign of the times and not their fault and as for his 'I've followed county cricket since1977' I have to chuckle he rarely goes and when he does it's always when the wicket is on the Drayton Manor side - where does he sit? In the Hollies  front row? No, halfway? No, right @the back! We tried that once saw one ball and moved, you're not in the game, that post is for you Maurice
If you look at the signings being made at the moment by the Test Hosting Counties (of which we are), we mainly seem to be picking up players from the smaller counties. We need them to be playing the red ball matches in order for them to develop the young players we keep taking. It's a damning inditement of the set ups of the big clubs that they are so dependant on the little ones to produce players!
[-] The following 3 users Like adickinson's post:
Leicester Exile, rednalbear, Warleybear
Warleybear, is narsty simon stalking you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Warleybear