Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V Gloucestershire Aug 19-22
(20-08-2018, 10:55 PM)paulbear Wrote: I have to agree, there are sides in this division who never look as though they will get out of it. I watched both days of this game and thought Glouc were terrible. I thought Derbyshire competed for 60% of the time and just ran out of steam. Northants looked like a team of sloggers who couldn't wait for T20 to start and I saw all 4 days of the Glamorgan game and despite the fact that we needed close to 300 to win, I never got the feeling we would ever lose. All this despite the fact that our batting still looks shakey and vulnerable. Kent and Sussex are the only other sides who look good and I am baffled that Leicestershire are so high up the table. Perhaps some sides do just look to T20 as a means to success as they know the CC is not going to bring people through the gates so a T20 campaign can get people watching and bring in revenue. Some of the recruitments by certain counties look as though they are made for the shorter game.

Paul bear... It's the elephant in the room. Excellent post, and one put more elequently that I have posted.
Has anyone else noticed second placed Kent have the least batting points in the division but like Warwickshire are the only counties with maximum bowling points, no coincidence as both teams are blessed with the best bowling coaches in the country
I am excited about our long term bowling if Mr Stone can have a good run in the side and keep himself fit for a few years because he is young and at his best, very fast. With him, Brookes and Sidebottom, we have a good amount of pace with a few of the young seamers hopefully coming through. Not sure what the spin dept holds unless Jeetan wants to play until he's 40. I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as there was another spinner coming through. Wishful thinking!
Agree with more or less every word of this.

I’ve seen three days of Warks CC this season and will add a fourth by the seasons end. One day against Glamorgan was vastly different to the two against Middix. Our bowlers picked Glamorgan apart easily, while Middlesex, their recent troubles apart, are clearly a much more ambitious and talented bunch. 

It doesn’t make it any easier to solve the future of domestic cricket in the UK, though. ECB seem to be pushing ahead with Franchises for white ball cricket in face of fierce opposition and despite the fact all counties can market a decent T20 product, at least occasionally. Red ball cricket seems to in effect be operating at a level of franchises already, yet there are no suggestions we’ll move that way officially.

The ECB and the counties aren’t even in the bookshop let alone on the same page. And I have no idea how that can be solved.

To topic, however, seems like a good win and as someone said, you can only beat what’s there. I’ll be closely watching Middix and Sussex tomorrow. The only two other teams who are realistic first division candidates. It’ll be an interesting run in.

(20-08-2018, 10:55 PM)paulbear Wrote: I have to agree, there are sides in this division who never look as though they will get out of it. I watched both days of this game and thought Glouc were terrible. I thought Derbyshire competed for 60% of the time and just ran out of steam. Northants looked like a team of sloggers who couldn't wait for T20 to start and I saw all 4 days of the Glamorgan game and despite the fact that we needed close to 300 to win, I never got the feeling we would ever lose. All this despite the fact that our batting still looks shakey and vulnerable. Kent and Sussex are the only other sides who look good and I am baffled that Leicestershire are so high up the table. Perhaps some sides do just look to T20 as a means to success as they know the CC is not going to bring people through the gates so a T20 campaign can get people watching and bring in revenue. Some of the recruitments by certain counties look as though they are made for the shorter game.
(21-08-2018, 09:25 PM)paulbear Wrote: I am excited about our long term bowling if Mr Stone can have a good run in the side and keep himself fit for a few years because he is young and at his best, very fast. With him, Brookes and Sidebottom, we have a good amount of pace with a few of the young seamers hopefully coming through. Not sure what the spin dept holds unless Jeetan  wants to play until he's 40. I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as there was another spinner coming through. Wishful thinking!
The club seem quite keen to develop the off spin of AlexThompson
We used to have a fellow called Poysden who could spin it a bit. And there was another left armer called Singh who twice took five wickets in an innings and has 17 first class wickets at 26. Pity we couldn't do anything with them.
Well we know about Josh and I am sorry to see him go nut not sure about where Singh or Thompson are as far as first team selection goes. Jeetan will not go on forever and so at some stage we need to play one of them. Perhaps towards the end of the season if the pitches are dry and a bit loose, we might play 2 spinners.