Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Milnes
I've only just noticed that Tom Milnes played for the Seconds last week, in their penultimate official game of the season against Notts.  He's been playing for Sussex Seconds for most of the year, since his release from Derby.  Do people think this was just a one off (or two off - the Seconds' last match is Northants on 22/8) game for us again - perhaps he just got a match as he had come back home from Hove (Sussex Seconds have already finished their season).  Or will he making a 'comeback' in the Squad next season (at least having game time for the Seconds) ?  He is still only 25 !
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
Probably a combination of factors involved.
1) with injuries and T20 games an additional seamer was needed.
2) it gave us a chance to have another look at how he is playing
3) he's been doing well for Berkswell in the Birmingham league, so those performances were worth the club taking another look.
The club have also used Brin Phagora and Ben Brookes for some games this season.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Tom is in the squad for the Abu Dhabi pre-season tour. I was talking to one of the guys at Berkswell, who said that Tom has been offered the chance to earn a Summer Contract with the County, if he does well pre-season and in early Seconds games.  Apparently, 'Pop' feels he could help bring his bowling back to the level he was at in his first stint with us - but more importantly, JT & Frosty think his batting could really crack on and if it develops, he could fill the 'bowler who can bat a bit void' left by Barker.  Tom has already got a decent Championship batting average anyway (over 20) and Berkswell have always thought of him as an all rounder.

Am I right in thinking that 'Pop' was his bowling Coach with us first time around - and was his Coach at Derby ?
(19-03-2019, 12:16 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: Tom is in the squad for the Abu Dhabi pre-season tour. I was talking to one of the guys at Berkswell, who said that Tom has been offered the chance to earn a Summer Contract with the County, if he does well pre-season and in early Seconds games.  Apparently, 'Pop' feels he could help bring his bowling back to the level he was at in his first stint with us - but more importantly, JT & Frosty think his batting could really crack on and if it develops, he could fill the 'bowler who can bat a bit void' left by Barker.  Tom has already got a decent Championship batting average anyway (over 20) and Berkswell have always thought of him as an all rounder.

Am I right in thinking that 'Pop' was his bowling Coach with us first time around - and was his Coach at Derby ?

Yep, Welch was Bowling Coach at Edgbaston, 2010 to 2014; Milnes was with us 2011 to 2015.  Pop moved to Derby in 2014 - and was quick to snap Tom up on loan, midway through the 2015 season.  When Tom was released by us at the end of the 2015 season, Derby signed him.  Pop coached Tom there, until midway through the 2016 season, when he left for Leicester.  So they have worked together for a considerable time. 

Tom did well with us (until Welch moved) and had a good first season at Derby (when Pop was there) - it all went to pot after Welch left ! Tom had a poor 2017 season and was released at the end of it.  I would have thought if Pop has always had an effect on Tom's bowling before, he might feel he can do it again - and could bring him back to a good enough level for First team cricket with us.

I have always thought Tom could also make a decent batsman (I'm sure I saw him get a 50 for us - but can't remember when), as did Welch himself in 2013, describing him as an, "all rounder":-

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/lo...rk-6024803
Tom seems to be getting plenty of game time pre-season - and taking wickets in Abu Dhabi. I wonder if that Summer Contract talk is a reality?
(22-03-2019, 12:07 PM)The Lickey Banker Wrote: Tom seems to be getting plenty of game time pre-season - and taking wickets in Abu Dhabi. I wonder if that Summer Contract talk is a reality?

Tom is in the team for the Leeds/Bradford MCCU game.  With that and all the other pre-season selections, I'd say he must be getting a summer contract at least - if not a more permanent one.  If so, I hope he makes it this time - he has always had the potential - and he does seem to bloom under 'Pop's wing' .
Tom got 7 & 34 NO against the Students and took 3 for 52 in the match.  He could well get a contract - but perhaps might need a couple more performances to justify it ?
Tom is in the squad for the Kent game.  That means he has been considered for every match this year.  Obviously they must be weighing up a contract offer.
I remember Tom being in the CC clincher at Worcester in 2012 and he bowled 2 overs and made 7* in our only innings - He is the only player from that game who is still playing for us, how times change.
(10-04-2019, 03:38 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Tom is in the squad for the Kent game.  That means he has been considered for every match this year.  Obviously they must be weighing up a contract offer.

Tom is in the team against Kent (batting No. 8). I think he must be getting a contract of some sort now.
(11-04-2019, 11:09 AM)The Lickey Banker Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 03:38 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Tom is in the squad for the Kent game.  That means he has been considered for every match this year.  Obviously they must be weighing up a contract offer.

Tom is in the team against Kent (batting No. 8). I think he must be getting a contract of some sort now.

I think if fair to say that Tom's efforts in the Kent match don't bode well for a contract offer yet !  No doubt he will get more chances - but they probably won't be in the forthcoming First team 50 over matches and he will have to perform in the Seconds, to justify that contract ?