Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Northants
Argh!! An amazing effort, but we should have won it after needing 2 from 2 balls. Bell silences his critics!
Proud to be a Bear
One or two with egg on faces tonight regarding Belly. Can anyone explain why we keep fielding first - surely it is better to bat before the sun goes down and avoid the big chase
LE - aka John
(20-07-2018, 10:13 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Argh!! An amazing effort, but we should have won it after needing 2 from 2 balls. Bell silences his critics!

One of the best games I’ve seen. Amazing atmosphere. A tie - probably the fairest result in the end. Bell fantastic.
One of the best games I've ever seen - and I've been following cricket (and the Bears) since 1965.  I'd never thought I'd ever say that about a T20 game.  Wonderful cricket, amazing atmosphere - and a fair result.  If only this had been on terrrestial television, it would do wonders for our long neglected national summer game !
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
I've got to echo what others have said, it was a brilliant night at edgbaston. Bell's knock was incredible, and was nearly the difference between the two teams.

Seems like it was a day for tight scorelines with Lancashire winning by 1 run.
An amazing game with Ian Bell's best limited overs innings to equal the century which he scored in difficult batting conditions in the 2010 floodlit one day final win against Somerset at Lords. Also excellent bowling spells from Boyd Rankin and Jeetan Patel (51 off their 8 pvers, about 180 off the other 12 overs!) but so much short bowling from Olly Stone which made it easy for the Northants batsmen to hit sixes over the short boundary side. Never thought that we could keep up with a required rate of more than 12 an over from early in the innings but Ian Bell's timing and shot selection was international class. A shame that Adam Hose was run out looking for a second run when Alex Wakely dropped Bell off a skier off a free hit and not sensible batting when requiring two runs off two balls for Colin De Grandhomme to go for a big straight six when two singles or a hard run two would have been sufficient.
If my maths are correct, 680 runs conceded in 60 overs.
No amount of batting heroics is going to make up for that.
(21-07-2018, 09:37 AM)IanBear Wrote: An amazing game with Ian Bell's best limited overs innings to equal the century which he scored in difficult batting conditions in the 2010 floodlit one day final win against Somerset at Lords. Also excellent bowling spells from Boyd Rankin and Jeetan Patel (51 off their 8 pvers, about 180 off the other 12 overs!) but so much short bowling from Olly Stone which made it easy for the Northants batsmen to hit sixes over the short boundary side. Never thought that we could keep up with a required rate of more than 12 an over from early in the innings but Ian Bell's timing and shot selection was international class. A shame that Adam Hose was run out looking for a second run when Alex Wakely dropped Bell off a skier off a free hit and not sensible batting when requiring two runs off two balls for Colin De Grandhomme to go for a big straight six when two singles or a hard run two would have been sufficient.

Form is temporary class, style and ability are permanent ....... Ian Bell has all three in abundance and he, plus Trotty. are key to the development of the young talent we have, who should watch them with awe and learn.
What an amazing evening... Thoroughly enjoyable.
(21-07-2018, 03:28 PM)Warleybear Wrote: What an amazing evening... Thoroughly enjoyable.

Those (like me) who weren't able to make it to Edgbaston last night certainly missed out.
And those who have set their faces permanently against T20 cricket are, I believe, also missing out on a lot of skill and cricketing entertainment.  I obviously didn't see Ian Bell's innings; but I suspect that it would be hard for anyone to argue that this wasn't "real" cricket.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I think not many are against T20 but that the administrators are pushing the red ball game to the margins. Having said that I suppose Finals day has been moved to the end of September so that the test players can take part after the Ashes
LE - aka John
Great entertainment last night, alltough got to be said some absolute filth bowled at times. I am one those who has to eat some humble pie about Bell, great innings.
(21-07-2018, 03:42 PM)Terry Wrote:
(21-07-2018, 03:28 PM)Warleybear Wrote: What an amazing evening... Thoroughly enjoyable.

Those (like me) who weren't able to make it to Edgbaston last night certainly missed out.
And those who have set their faces permanently against T20 cricket are, I believe, also missing out on a lot of skill and cricketing entertainment.  I obviously didn't see Ian Bell's innings; but I suspect that it would be hard for anyone to argue that this wasn't "real" cricket.

I hear you Terry but I'm not ready to agree. I too find it inconceivable that an Ian Bell hundred wouldn't be worth watching even if he was playing on a beach against a scratch team of eleven year olds. I've even said nice things on here about the way Kohli and Root batted in the last World T20. But then I've also watched Colin de Grandhomme bowl and oh my it will take a while to forget it.

My problem with T20 is not that there is never any quality, just that there isn't enough of it to justify my time in going to watch it. The balance between power and skill is all wrong. I'll keep dipping into the odd game on the telly - maybe it will get better in time.
(21-07-2018, 07:52 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:
(21-07-2018, 03:42 PM)Terry Wrote:

I hear you Terry but I'm not ready to agree. I too find it inconceivable that an Ian Bell hundred wouldn't be worth watching even if he was playing on a beach against a scratch team of eleven year olds. I've even said nice things on here about the way Kohli and Root batted in the last World T20. But then I've also watched Colin de Grandhomme bowl and oh my it will take a while to forget it.

My problem with T20 is not that there is never any quality, just that there isn't enough of it to justify my time in going to watch it. The balance between power and skill is all wrong. I'll keep dipping into the odd game on the telly - maybe it will get better in time.

I accept your point of view too.
Plenty of excitement, though - another tie today between Hampshire and Essex.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Warleybear
Terry.... Totally agree.... I could give you a big hug :-)