Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Vikings
I would pick up on the points that other have said about the contribution from the over seas players, luckily I decided against battling the Leeds rush hour traffic and watched the game on sky. Having seen most of the games live and last nights on the TV, I see no encouragement from Elliot. I get the fact that some captains prefer to do all the talk in the dressing room, but he just stands there with his arms crossed watching the bowlers getting spanked all around the ground, Woakes was talking to Stone all the time, Jeets does the same and Bell was good at this, Elliot does not appear to care!

We waste most of the power plays by not using our 'big hitters' such as CDG, how better to demoralise the opposition bowlers than Pollock and CDG hitting them all over, and if either of them get out then nothing really lost as we have the quality to come in and try to build an innings.

The bowling department has absolutely learned nothing from our previous three games, we need a second spinner.

I know we are only half way through the group stage but qualification seems unlikely, so lets take a punt on youth and try to entertain!
[-] The following 1 user Likes sheffield blue's post:
Leicester Exile
(28-07-2018, 01:08 PM)sheffield blue Wrote: I would pick up on the points that other have said about the contribution from the over seas players, luckily I decided against battling the Leeds rush hour traffic and watched the game on sky. Having seen most of the games live and last nights on the TV, I see no encouragement from Elliot. I get the fact that some captains prefer to do all the talk in the dressing room, but he just stands there with his arms crossed watching the bowlers getting spanked all around the ground, Woakes was talking to Stone all the time, Jeets does the same and Bell was good at this, Elliot does not appear to care!

We waste most of the power plays by not using our 'big hitters' such as CDG, how better to demoralise the opposition bowlers than Pollock and CDG hitting them all over, and if either of them get out then nothing really lost as we have the quality to come in and try to build an innings.

The bowling department has absolutely learned nothing from our previous three games, we need a second spinner.

I know we are only half way through the group stage but qualification seems unlikely, so lets take a punt on youth and try to entertain!

And from the comments made and the facts in the scorecard - drop Elliot and make Jeets captain
LE - aka John
(28-07-2018, 01:08 PM)sheffield blue Wrote: I would pick up on the points that other have said about the contribution from the over seas players, luckily I decided against battling the Leeds rush hour traffic and watched the game on sky. Having seen most of the games live and last nights on the TV, I see no encouragement from Elliot. I get the fact that some captains prefer to do all the talk in the dressing room, but he just stands there with his arms crossed watching the bowlers getting spanked all around the ground, Woakes was talking to Stone all the time, Jeets does the same and Bell was good at this, Elliot does not appear to care!

According to the BBC online stats Elliot has 5 innings for 16 runs. And goes at 10 an over with the ball.
The management presumably believe that these stats are outweighed by his influence, on and off the field, as captain.
But in the meantime we are getting routinely hammered by some good, and some ordinary, sides.
Time for him to stand down and be replaced by a second spinner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes exiledinkent's post:
Leicester Exile
We have six bowlers going for an average of more than 10 runs per over, and the bowler with the best economy is Patel, who has 8.14. Says it all really.
Proud to be a Bear
I know I go on a bit about the failure to pick Josh Poysden - but here I go again.
It's partly that I think he has proved to be a really good bowler in T20; but also, that having a leg spinner seems essential for success in that format.
Just to test my theory out, I looked at the top four teams in each group of the Blast tables so far.  Of these, only Gloucestershire don't seem to have a leg spinner.
Bearing in mind that the Bears have six players going at between 10 and 13 runs an over, the figures for the leg-spinners are:
Parkinson (Lancs) 7 wickets at 28.85, 7.26 runs per over
D'Oliveira (Worcs) 3 wickets at 40.66, 7.62 runs per over
Imran Tahir (Durham) 11 wickets at 17.00, 6.67 runs per over
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire) 3 wickets at 27.33, 8.20 runs per over
Denly (Kent) 9 wickets at 16.00, 9.00 runs per over
Waller (Somerset) 6 wickets at 21.50, 6.45 runs per over
Rashid Khan (Sussex) 6 wickets at 21.50, 7.16 runs per over

Now I accept that Josh is probably not as good (yet) as Imran Tahir or Rashid Khan.  But he must surely be at least as good as Max Waller, Brett D'Oliveira or part-time spinner Joe Denly.
In T20 matches in the past, he has taken 14 wickets at 31.57 and conceded 7.49 runs per over.  This season, Jeetan is the most economical bowler for the Bears at 8.14 per over.

I'll rest my case and shut up now.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Before you completely tighten lips - so why do you think Josh isn't getting selected?
LE - aka John
(30-07-2018, 09:59 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Before you completely tighten lips - so why do you think Josh isn't getting selected?

I genuinely don't know.,
As far as I know, he is a likeable, hard-working guy who always gives 100%.  He's not much use with the bat but he is OK in the field.  He has taken plenty of wickets for the second team and has never let the first team down.
I guess it is either the case that key people like Jim Troughton and Graeme Welch don't rate him or that there is a theory that the team doesn't need two spin bowlers.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/