Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notts at Trent Bridge
Woakes in for Barker, only change from the Blackpool game.

We won the toss and decided to bat.  Currently 11-1 after 3.3 overs - Trott out.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
BBC Live Events @TuneInLiveEvent
16m

For @TrentBridge v @WarwickshireCCC go to live event 2.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
I have to say, I'm a big fan of this tactic of sending Pollock out to open and just attack. It might not work out every time, but it's got us off to a flyer today.
Proud to be a Bear
(27-05-2018, 11:53 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: I have to say, I'm a big fan of this tactic of sending Pollock out to open and just attack. It might not work out every time, but it's got us off to a flyer today.

Yes, he follows in the noble footsteps of Neil Carter and the great Bob Barber.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Well, that was a pretty poor end to our innings. Should have been looking for at least 330 from where we were. Still, it's a decent total.
Proud to be a Bear
The innings dribbled away a bit at the end.
Good that the Trent Bridge site has a live feed linked to the BBC commentary.  That seems to be becoming the norm these days.
(27-05-2018, 01:43 PM)Terry Wrote:
(27-05-2018, 11:53 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: I have to say, I'm a big fan of this tactic of sending Pollock out to open and just attack. It might not work out every time, but it's got us off to a flyer today.

It's a quibble but I think you do Bob Barber a slight disservice. Whilst Carter and Pollock are great fun, they score quickly by hitting the ball in the air and get away with it because of fielding restrictions. Barber did it with elegance in the days before field placings were constrained and against a swinging red ball.

I'd be happy with any of them opening in a limited overs game, though.
(27-05-2018, 03:50 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:

It's a quibble but I think you do Bob Barber a slight disservice. Whilst Carter and Pollock are great fun, they score quickly by hitting the ball in the air and get away with it because of fielding restrictions. Barber did it with elegance in the days before field placings were constrained and against a swinging red ball.

I think that Ed sits somewhere between Barber and Carter. I would expect Pollock to come off more often than Neil Carter did - he was very hit and miss.  As you say, Bob Barber was a class act - 100 before lunch v Australians in 1964 and one of the finest ever Ashes hundreds at Sydney in 1965/66.
Also, Ed is still young and should only get better.
On a separate note - apparently, a big crowd at Trent Bridge today. Billed as a Family Fun Day, all tickets were £1.
It just goes to show that, properly priced and promoted, the game can still be well supported.
(27-05-2018, 04:56 PM)Terry Wrote:

I think that Ed sits somewhere between Barber and Carter. I would expect Pollock to come off more often than Neil Carter did - he was very hit and miss.  As you say, Bob Barber was a class act - 100 before lunch v Australians in 1964 and one of the finest ever Ashes hundreds at Sydney in 1965/66.
On a separate note - apparently, a big crowd at Trent Bridge today. Billed as a Family Fun Day, all tickets were £1.
It just goes to show that, properly priced and promoted, the game can still be well supported.

Over 10,000 according to the commentary.
Proud to be a Bear
(27-05-2018, 04:59 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(27-05-2018, 04:56 PM)Terry Wrote:

Over 10,000 according to the commentary.

Now confirmed as 14,357.
Proud to be a Bear
A good crowd and a good win.
Great win by the lads
Paul fondled my onion bags.
It must have been confusing for all those women and kids not knowing what was going on.
If only they were capable of understanding the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Leicester Exile
Great win. Compounds our good start to the season.
Especially pleasing see vital contributions from Ed Pollack, Aaron Thomason and Henry Brookes.

All 3 are local players been given a chance to show their ability.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
(27-05-2018, 08:03 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Especially pleasing see vital contributions from Ed Pollack, Aaron Thomason and Henry Brookes.

All 3 are local players been given a chance to show their ability.

Ah, Mugabe, at last some of your ugly ducklings are turning into swans.
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Exiled Bear, Lilly
Haha

To be serious, for various reasons, until recently the club was very poor at giving young players first team opportunities. Fortunately that policy has changed, and the three players named, plus Matt Lamb in the championship side have been given an opportunity to develop at first team level.

Not every young player will succeed, but without opportunity it is impossible to succeed.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
randombear