Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SET -v- Yorkshire 21st May.
Spent some of yesterday watching the match at Edgbaston on YouTube and was quite impressed by the coverage. OK, it only shows the pitch so you couldn't see boundaries, catches being take in the deep etc. but overall i thought it was good and gave a clear view of the quality of bowling and batting. We won, although given the respective strength of the teams we should have done - our team boasted one current test player (Boyd!) as part of a very experienced attack whilst they had several youngsters, many of whom I would assume were trialists. 

Will Rhodes, who scored a hundred, batted well as did Sibley and Thomson for a while. Josh Poysdon was the pick of the bowlers by a country mile (the other main bowlers were OHD, a very ordinary looking Chris Wright and Rankin). I know this was only one game, but the performance of Rhodes, Sibley, Poysden and Thomson suggests they should all be given a chance at some stage in the 50 over competition imho, esp Rhodes and Poysdon. It would be a great shame if Josh was lost to the game, and the way his career has gone in recent times that has to be a risk. He even scored some runs after a mid-order wobble so come on Jim, give him a break!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Harborne Bear's post:
The Lickey Banker
3 day match starts today also against Yorkshire at portland road
(22-05-2018, 09:35 AM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Spent some of yesterday watching the match at Edgbaston on YouTube and was quite impressed by the coverage. OK, it only shows the pitch so you couldn't see boundaries, catches being take in the deep etc. but overall i thought it was good and gave a clear view of the quality of bowling and batting. We won, although given the respective strength of the teams we should have done - our team boasted one current test player (Boyd!) as part of a very experienced attack whilst they had several youngsters, many of whom I would assume were trialists. 

Will Rhodes, who scored a hundred, batted well as did Sibley and Thomson for a while. Josh Poysdon was the pick of the bowlers by a country mile (the other main bowlers were OHD, a very ordinary looking Chris Wright and Rankin). I know this was only one game, but the performance of Rhodes, Sibley, Poysden and Thomson suggests they should all be given a chance at some stage in the 50 over competition imho, esp Rhodes and Poysdon. It would be a great shame if Josh was lost to the game, and the way his career has gone in recent times that has to be a risk. He even scored some runs after a mid-order wobble so come on Jim, give him a break!

I agree about Josh Poysden, who has always impressed me.
Since he got England Lions recognition, his career seems to have stalled.  If he isn't going to get chances with us, maybe a spell on loan might be good for him.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
The Lickey Banker
(22-05-2018, 05:30 PM)Terry Wrote:
(22-05-2018, 09:35 AM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Spent some of yesterday watching the match at Edgbaston on YouTube and was quite impressed by the coverage. OK, it only shows the pitch so you couldn't see boundaries, catches being take in the deep etc. but overall i thought it was good and gave a clear view of the quality of bowling and batting. We won, although given the respective strength of the teams we should have done - our team boasted one current test player (Boyd!) as part of a very experienced attack whilst they had several youngsters, many of whom I would assume were trialists. 

I agree about Josh Poysden, who has always impressed me.
Since he got England Lions recognition, his career seems to have stalled.  If he isn't going to get chances with us, maybe a spell on loan might be good for him.

I also agree about Josh. I don't think he has been given a fair crack of the whip, the last season or two. He has performed / is performing well now for the Seconds and we desperately need a second spinner in the 50 over competition. It seems 2 spinners are becoming a must in many limited overs matches now - not just if the wicket merits the choice. I really hope he gets a chance on Friday.
"The only Good Banker .......... is a Lickey Banker"
How much does it cost to watch the second X1 play at Edgbaston??
And at Portland Road??
It's free entry as it is for the women who have back to back fixtures @Portland Road on Sunday and Monday