Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Northants at Edgbaston
(14-05-2018, 08:38 AM)narsty simon Wrote: No mention from Warleybear of Leicestershire's fine win yet he's quick to point out their defeats, it's only 5weeks in and already 2wins for the triumvirate

Simon you mustn't personalise this... Concerns over the structure and make up of the championship are legitimate. I believe there has to be change... You don't ... and fair enough.

I'm in Barcelona at the grand Prix... But I'm pleased to see that Leics actually won.... It is rare. But I'm afraid over 70 percent of wooden spoons this century have gone to Leics, Derby's or Northants .. and that speaks volumes... and even with a Durham side on minus 40 points last year it still happened.... and even though Durham are in disarray.. it may even happen this year. Not sure who is bottom of Division two ... But it's probably one of the usual suspects? Division two is very poor compared to division one.... A relegated Bears side starting to romp away with it already. The red ball game needs a shake up... the structure is failing the game and the England set up. Players used to loosing don't help when it comes to test cricket.

Anyway... Really pleased to see that the Bears won... We really need to be in division one. Excellent to see Rhodes make that score.
(14-05-2018, 09:06 AM)Warleybear Wrote:
(14-05-2018, 08:38 AM)narsty simon Wrote: No mention from Warleybear of Leicestershire's fine win yet he's quick to point out their defeats, it's only 5weeks in and already 2wins for the triumvirate

Simon you mustn't personalise this... Concerns over the structure and make up of the championship are legitimate. I believe there has to be change... You don't ... and fair enough.

I'm in Barcelona at the grand Prix... But I'm pleased to see that Leics actually won.... It is rare.  But I'm afraid over 70 percent of wooden spoons this century have gone to Leics, Derby's or Northants .. and that speaks volumes... and even with a Durham side on minus 40 points last year it still happened.... and even though Durham are in disarray.. it may even happen this year. Not sure who is bottom of Division two ... But it's probably one of the usual suspects? Division two is very poor compared to division one.... A relegated Bears side starting to romp away with it already. The red ball game needs a shake up... the structure is failing the game and the England set up. Players used to loosing don't help when it comes to test cricket.

Anyway... Really pleased to see that the Bears won... We really need to be in division one. Excellent to see Rhodes make that score.
If the gap s is so large how did promoted Essex win the championship last season?!
Northants are currently bottom, which surprises me considering the strength of their bowling attack. Their batsmen, for me, seem too intent on attacking and give their wickets away far too easily.

As Northants have played the Champions incumbent twice, it makes sense as to why they are currently bottom but they will move up.
Paul fondled my onion bags.

Sounds like a cracking advert for the 4 day game - a win by just 3 runs.

Nothing much wrong with the red ball game that a bit of marketing and leadership wouldn't solve. Play the game throughout the summer and, as much as possible, when people are not at work i.e. play into the evening especially in June/July and play at weekends and public holidays. And do NOT increase the number of T20 games.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
If only the ecb would think the same way, spent a lovely day@Portland Road yesterday watching our girls, very competitive game 2 great innings from Lauren Winfield and Amy Jones and an amazing catch from Jo Gardner to dismiss Winfield
Couple of draws today, particularly Middlesex, do us another favour.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(14-05-2018, 10:19 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote:

Sounds like a cracking advert for the 4 day game - a win by just 3 runs.

Nothing much wrong with the red ball game that a bit of marketing and leadership wouldn't solve. Play the game throughout the summer and, as much as possible, when people are not at work i.e. play into the evening especially in June/July and play at weekends and public holidays. And do NOT increase the number of T20 games.
Saw my first two days of Warwickshire cricket this year on Saturday and Sunday.  (Had got my eye in at Essex vs Yorkshire at Chelmsford the week before.)  Really good game, result still in the balance on lunch of day three before excellent batting from Rhodes setlled it.  Very impressed with first live sighting of Olly Stone and Chris Wright bowled a good, long spell on the Saturday allowing Jeets to keep the pressure on.  Northants (who are way bottom of div 2) weren't bad, perhaps just lacked a bit of intensity / depth? at the key moments and missed Gleeson out injured and Crook who couldn't bowl in 4th innings.
(13-05-2018, 05:06 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: A wonderful innings by Rhodes, and a very pleasant first visit to Edgbaston this season for me. Sibley has been disappointing so far this season but didn't he hold one of our innings together towards the end of last season? He was also useful in one day cricket I seem to recall.

Quite right, I just checked Cricinfo and he did indeed get a couple of good scores at the end of last season together with his unbeaten 42 against Sussex in our first match. Let's hope he can knuckle down and get some big scores soon!
(14-05-2018, 09:27 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(14-05-2018, 09:06 AM)Warleybear Wrote:

I'm in Barcelona at the grand Prix... But I'm pleased to see that Leics actually won.... It is rare.  But I'm afraid over 70 percent of wooden spoons this century have gone to Leics, Derby's or Northants .. and that speaks volumes... and even with a Durham side on minus 40 points last year it still happened.... and even though Durham are in disarray.. it may even happen this year. Not sure who is bottom of Division two ... But it's probably one of the usual suspects? Division two is very poor compared to division one.... A relegated Bears side starting to romp away with it already. The red ball game needs a shake up... the structure is failing the game and the England set up. Players used to loosing don't help when it comes to test cricket.

If the gap s is so large how did promoted Essex win the championship last season?!

You will always get a team come through occasionally...but I'm afraid some counties are continuously poor at red ball cricket... Better suited to the white ball game in its two formats. Clubs like Derby's, Leics and Northants would be more competitive and commercially viable at 50 over and T20.

Generally the standard of division two and some clubs in particular has been poor for some time.