Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Durham MCCU
Very strong side against the students. Looks like this might be a run out for the intended first choice eleven. Jeets obviously comes in when available.

No Hain. Is he still in the West Indies?
Well the 'experimental' opening partnership of Rhodes & Sibley hasn't worked out this morning - both got 2 runs !  Trott and Bell to the rescue (like old times ?!) so far - 104 for 2 at Lunch.

Team:-
Sibley (Capt)
Rhodes
Bell
Trott
Hose
Ambrose
Barker
Stone
Wright
Singh
Sidebottom
Bears declared on 299 for 4 - Bell & Trott both got tons and Hose got 68.  Durham were on 27 for 1 at the close (wicket for Barker).
Nice to see Bell and Trott get centuries, but as we know from last season, form in the pre-season matches doesn't necessarily translate to form in the championship!
Proud to be a Bear
(01-04-2018, 06:09 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Bears declared on 299 for 4 - Bell & Trott both got tons and Hose got 68.  Durham were on 27 for 1 at the close (wicket for Barker).

I had a cracking day at Edgbaston today. Freezing cold but a full day’s play and saw Trotty get a ton for the first time in ages as I usually miss them due to work etc. Well done the ground staff for a minor miracle in getting play started on time after yesterday’s deluge. Properly whetted my appetite for the season ahead.
(01-04-2018, 01:46 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Well the 'experimental' opening partnership of Rhodes & Sibley hasn't worked out this morning - both got 2 runs !  Trott and Bell to the rescue (like old times ?!) so far - 104 for 2 at Lunch.

Sibley (Capt)
Rhodes
Bell
Trott
Hose
Ambrose
Barker
Stone
Wright
Singh
Sidebottom

I guess they're trying Rhodes as an opener simply because he's left handed.  But even so, its a strange choice - his First Class batting average is only in the mid 20's and he's never scored a ton.  If they really want a left hand opener with Sibley, the only realistic prospect is Ed Pollock.  Does anyone know where he is at the moment - I think he's finished Uni now (and of course he was at Durham MCCU !) ?

No play today - Monday.
(02-04-2018, 12:03 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(01-04-2018, 01:46 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Well the 'experimental' opening partnership of Rhodes & Sibley hasn't worked out this morning - both got 2 runs !  Trott and Bell to the rescue (like old times ?!) so far - 104 for 2 at Lunch.

Sibley (Capt)
Rhodes
Bell
Trott
Hose
Ambrose
Barker
Stone
Wright
Singh
Sidebottom

I guess they're trying Rhodes as an opener simply because he's left handed.  But even so, its a strange choice - his First Class batting average is only in the mid 20's and he's never scored a ton.  If they really want a left hand opener with Sibley, the only realistic prospect is Ed Pollock.  Does anyone know where he is at the moment - I think he's finished Uni now (and of course he was at Durham MCCU !) ?

No play today - Monday.

The club sent an email out a week or so ago that had a link to an interview with Rhodes, where it said he’d opened the batting for Yorkshire in the championship. I was surprised at that too, maybe they dropped it in ready for this game! I was also surprised that he’d played 58 first team games (in all formats).
(02-04-2018, 04:11 PM)Lara 501* Wrote:
(02-04-2018, 12:03 PM)Bald Reynard Wrote:

Sibley (Capt)
Rhodes
Bell
Trott
Hose
Ambrose
Barker
Stone
Wright
Singh
Sidebottom

No play today - Monday.

The club sent an email out a week or so ago that had a link to an interview with Rhodes, where it said he’d opened the batting for Yorkshire in the championship. I was surprised at that too, maybe they dropped it in ready for this game! I was also surprised that he’d played 58 first team games (in all formats).

Saw Will Rhodes open the batting against us a few years ago when Lyth was called up for England  he got 40odd on a spicy wicket and looked to have a good technique