Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyrille Regis RIP
Shocked to hear this. I watched him when he started his career at West Brom. Fantastic player particularly for West Brom and Coventry. Was past his best when he joined us but still contributed. RIP

(15-01-2018, 11:35 AM)Paul Wrote: Shocked to hear this. I watched him when he started his career at West Brom. Fantastic player particularly for West Brom and Coventry. Was past his best when he joined us but still contributed. RIP

Nice words Paul. I spent a lot of my teenage years stood on the Brummie Rd watching that great Albion side. I still remember and relish Cyrille's breakthrough during 1977 and 1978 including a one man demolition of Everton, a storming game against Blues in November 1977, a brilliant performance and goal against Forest in a 6th round cup game. And the best game I ever saw - my Lara 501! - the 5-3 win at Old Trafford in December 1978.

All played against a backdrop of monkey noises and bananas being thrown at all 3 black players. Impossible to believe what went on then. Cyrille was such a terrific player and bloke. So unfair to see him gone so early.
Me too Dave saw his debut and as most of my friends were West Brom fans I'd go down the Hawthornes one week and Villa Park the next. Racism was awful in those days. I think Regis and Cunningham did a lot to change peoples views. I had many arguments with my friends who was the best Regis or Withe and Cunningham or Little lol. Great days though for both clubs

Pat Murphy tweeted:

"In all my decades of covering Midlands football, there has been no figure more admired or loved among we reporters than Cyrille Regis. He scored goals we dreamed of while lying in the bath, routed the racists, respected the fans - and smiled. Always. RIP"

Many will use far more words to say much less.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Paul