Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ashes
Michael Vaughan has his say about the drinking culture:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/...-students/
My daughter Gemma arrived in Perth today and could be my inside spy now, though I suspect that she will only tell me what she wants me to hear. 
She has already said hello to Jonny Bairstow - he greeted her with a handshake rather than a head-butt, thank goodness.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Paul
(11-12-2017, 09:14 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Sky doesn't need to be £50+. For the full package including Movies and Sport I pay £27.20 pm. Like most this is achieved by telling them I am cancelling. Big problem though is BT have taken Premier RU and now the Aussie Ashes and for a lot of people a big reduction in Premier Football. One plus is they are now covering Championship Football which includes Blues (for this season at any rate) and AV.

Agreed LE. I negotiate this way with Sky and BT every year.

Best way I've found to to do it is using the "Live Chat" facility which takes the emotion out of it!

Currently paying £38 pm for Sky Sports Package (inc. HD) and £17 pm for BT Sports (inc. HD). These are both 18 month deals taking me up to October next year.

£55 pm total doesn't seem too bad to me considering 80% of our viewing is live sport.
No Dave thats excellent value.... but there are a fair few who wont see it that way.... Test Match cricket is trying to do a folk dance with itself .... out of site and increasingly out of mind.
Not much use for the Ashes this time round; but it looks as though BT and Sky will be offering each others' services - at a price, no doubt.
(15-12-2017, 04:55 PM)Terry Wrote: Not much use for the Ashes this time round; but it looks as though BT and Sky will be offering each others' services - at a price, no doubt.

They'll be selling their services to each other at wholesale prices.

This may mean that each provider will be able to offer bundles at reduced prices.

Might also encourage BT to move towards dedicated football channels as Sky have done giving non-football sports fans to opt out.

We'll see....
(11-12-2017, 09:32 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 09:14 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Sky doesn't need to be £50+. For the full package including Movies and Sport I pay £27.20 pm. Like most this is achieved by telling them I am cancelling. Big problem though is BT have taken Premier RU and now the Aussie Ashes and for a lot of people a big reduction in Premier Football. One plus is they are now covering Championship Football which includes Blues (for this season at any rate) and AV.

Does that price include internet? Unfortunately I'm not in the position to tell them that I'm cancelling as I'm not a customer!

Sorry for not replying earlier - no it does not include internet. I use the on lscreen chat to cancel/comeback etc to do the deal. Sky box is in France at present and Sky do not operate outside the UK Biggrin
LE - aka John
Sport seems to be one of those things where competition drives what we pay upwards...

Anyway... terrible day for England. The 18 county first class structure will come under continued scrutiny in the aftermath of this...
Best comment on the Ashes defeat is from Paul Collingwood:

"When England beat Australia more of their players are encouraged to play county cricket. When Australia beat England, county cricket isn’t strong enough.  County cricket is an amazing education for any cricketer, it’s unique, skilful and physically demanding. It’s a fickle world."
Personally, I have believed for a long time that the championship needs pruning... less teams playing across the whole Summer and not just April and September. It would also be good if some of the England batsmen spent more time with their counties. However, I understand that I am in a minority on what is an emotive issue.
I know it's not an easy thing to do in this country but it surely must be a good idea to produce as much as possible to play on quick bouncy wickets. This week Steven Finn said most pitches suck the life out of very quick bowlers because counties are scared to produce these type of wickets. We have Stone who is supposed to be very quick. If for example he only played 7 games, and got 35-40 wickets but went at 4 an over that wouldn't bother me because he would probably have a strike rate about 40 perhaps a little lower and as a team we would be in good positions to win matches. I have made this point to several members over the last 5/6 years about our bowling line up with our bowlers who were resonably tall and quick in Wright Woakes Rankin and Clarke. I nether thought we made the most of these bowlers in our home matches which could of been played on quicker pitches using rotation to keep the bowlers fresh. Like Stone the experts say there are 3/4 other very quick bowlers around the country. so i think we should start playing on quicker pitches, and in 4 years time when we go back to Australia we can fight fire with fire, but of course the counties have got to be prepared to go along with this. Or another way you could go is to go with what WB has just said, reduce the Championship to say 10 matches, so all the bowlers stay fresh, and can bowl quicker for longer, and batsmen would also become more used to facing that type of bowling. Que a rant from NS over that idea
No ranting from me, the ecb have driven me away from the 1st class game & you will both get your wish for less proper cricket in the foreseeable future
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
makes a change you not ranting
Does no good, the ecb do what they want, more about money and attractiving chavs than about cricket these days
Leicester Exile
We have been bashed in this series... to be honest less games.. but more competative and many actually played in the summer. We couldnt cope with flat piches. Also we need to get more England players... especially the batsmen and those on the margins of the squad ... playing regularly.

To win every toss and get slaughtered ... 120 runs.. 10 wickets and an inings and a lot isnt good against an average Aussie side. I suspect Broad, Cook and Anderson may be on their last tour.

Change is needed ... structurally and sadly personal wise.
The ecb will never be keen on letting 'their' players play proper cricket, it might after all increase attendances, especially if they played@weekends&in the summer!!
But Anderson is having his best ashes tour and been our best bowler so far although a strike rate of 65 is pretty average. The strike rates of eveyone else is above 100. Now that series is over drop Ali who has been our worst player, and look to the future,and bring in Crane. Give Ali a rest, and mayby bring him back in New Zealand
Agree Simon all 4 day cricket should be played Thursday to Sunday or Friday to Monday. How about in the championship 3 divisions of 6, played May to July, T20 in August, and 50 over in September.
There was nothing wrong with 16 championship games and 5t20games
Leicester Exile
Anderson did ok... but doesnt have too many tours left in him. Broad and Ali were terrible... The culture of going to pubs and bringing the team into disripute has to stop.

Moving forward... I would go for two leagues of six... playing from May to September. England batsmen and some bowlers need to play more.... Those counties not up to first class cricket can either analgamate, focus on limited overs cricket or join the minor counties. I would also agree with Simon ... counties should be limited to a handful of T20 games..... the city franchises running with the bulk of T20.
George getting it right as usual:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...es-failure
You can see his point about spin bowlers illustrated at Warwickshire.  Sunny Singh has two five wicket hauls but gets picked for only four Championship games because the pitches at either end of the season don't justify two spin bowlers.  Josh Poysden plays for England Lions but can't get in the Championship team for the same reason.  Better to pick someone such as Alex Thomson who can bat a bit and bowl a few overs of spin if really needed or give Dom Sibley the chance to bowl an odd (very odd, actually) over of leg spin.
George goes in so hard against the ECB that he may provoke a defensive reaction rather than a listening ear.  But we can always hope!