Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ashes
I could be wrong but I've heard rumours that there is some cricket being played on the other side of the world.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
The2nd ashes series following the girls 'honourable 82all draw, a very enjoyable tournament
Can't get excited about it as can't see any action. Already subscribe to Sky and not going to add the high price required by BT
LE - aka John
(24-11-2017, 09:44 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Can't get excited about it as can't see any action. Already subscribe to Sky and not going to add the high price required by BT

I agree.  Having cricket coverage now split between two high-price providers with no free-to-air Ashes coverage is hardly a step in the right direction for increasing the popularity of the game.
The radio coverage is excellent & no adverts!
Amen, Terry, exactly my thoughts. Nevermind, there will be hit and giggle on free to air telly sometime in the next decade ...
(24-11-2017, 09:44 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Can't get excited about it as can't see any action. Already subscribe to Sky and not going to add the high price required by BT

I caved in and have got BT sport on a month by month contract (we have Sky). After only 2 days of the test I can tell you, you’re not missing much. Michael Vaughan and Graeme Swann just love talking about themselves & now they’ve brought KP into the mix for the first 2 tests, it’s unbearable. Alison Mitchell is better than those 3 put together.
Seems like, for those who have BT, the answer may be to turn the sound down and watch with the radio commentary on.
I've quoted this before; but I think it is sad that, not too many years after his passing, the great Richie Benaud's eight rules of television commentary have completely passed the current generation by.   They were:

1. Never ask a statement.
  2. Remember the value of a pause.
  3. There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
  4. Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
  5. The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
  6. Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
  7. Concentrate fiercely at all times.
  8. Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Leicester Exile
(24-11-2017, 04:00 PM)stingray Wrote:

I caved in and have got BT sport on a month by month contract (we have Sky). After only 2 days of the test I can tell you, you’re not missing much. Michael Vaughan and Graeme Swann just love talking about themselves & now they’ve brought KP into the mix for the first 2 tests, it’s unbearable. Alison Mitchell is better than those 3 put together.
Alison Mitchell has the perfect speaking voice, worth the subscription fee alone
Its only £5 a month extra for BT Sports and it has the champions league as well so its worth it. Good see Sir Geoffrey on the commentary team. get sick to death of the boring sky ones. I haven't watched much because it too late.

England will loose this I think!

I've got to the point with the champions league, that I don't even know its being played these days.

As for the Ashes.... well this series might as well be being played on the dark side of the moon. After a few years of missing out on live televised test cricket, I managed to watch it via now tv through SKY. Its now moved to another platform... BT... who use their telephone and broadband clients to fund their sports channel. Big own goal for cricket - Test cricket (especially the Ashes) will now be an even more minority sport. No one should shed a tear for test cricket - the self inflicted marginalisation of this series is a big own goal which will shed yet more supporters.
Did you know if you have an ee contract you will get it free for 6 months and then only £5 a month after that. You can only watch it on the phone or the windows 10 app though but its much better value than now tv £34 a month. I have both but seriously considering not doing now tv

Thanks Paul.... Ebay is one answer.... legal now tv vouchers from £1 upwards .... often promotion 'leftovers' :-)

The BT bit does p me a bit.... spreading test cricket across too many pay platforms isnt good imho.
Yes I was the same and I don't understand why BT don't allow people who are not subscribed to BT Internet to use their app. They could make more money surely by making that app available to everyone unless its their way of wanting the monopoly of accounts using fibre optic broadband instead of a third party ones like I use. PlusNet have it I think but I got screwed by them once and would never trust them again.

Thanks for the tip on nowtv vouchers. Havent used ebay for 15 years but might try again

ps I haven't been on here much lately because my mom died a few weeks ago and the funeral was only Friday, which Jane and Alan came to.

Anyway best move these too the other thread

A bad Test result for England and a poor game for Chris Woakes - out twice for 17 and match figures of 1-113.
Really frustrating result - makes you want to beat your head against a brick wall (or maybe a Bancroft).
Yes Terry. I think the batting let us down particularly 2nd innings. Not enough runs! Lack of pace in our attack. Moeen split finger all contributed. root is so frustrating. Gtreat bastman but his conversion rate from 50 to 100 is really bad and cant be juts a coincidence

Another unimpressive couple of days for England; and Chris Woakes seems to be the target of much of the criticism, which is that the England bowlers are all much the same and lacking in pace.  There are calls for the likes of Mark Wood and Liam Plunkett to be drafted in.
My recollection of the last Ashes tour is that England picked tall fast bowlers who were either not fully fit or not quite good enough (Chris Tremlett and our own Boyd Rankin spring to mind) and everyone agreed that this was a mistake.  Now we seem to be in danger of going back to that approach.
Chris isn't as quite as quick as he was before his injury but its all so knee-jerk. You're only as good as your last performance. We do lack pace but if theres nobody out there good enough what can they do. Just got to bat better and secure a draw. Move on to the next test. Cook and Root need to step-up. Theres a reason Root is not as good as Smith and Kohli's. They turn 50s into hundreds and big ones too.