Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Stokes
Just watched video of Stokes on the TV. Looks very bad for him. Personally if proven I'd be very uneasy about him playing for England for a long time, if ever again. What do other people think?
Agree with you Marina, what a daft lad!
(28-09-2017, 11:27 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Agree with you Marina, what a daft lad!

Potentially thrown it all away!
The video clip I've seen suggests that someone with Stokes was being threatened with a broken bottle. If this is the case I can understand - if not condone what happens next.

However, it looks excessive and ultimately, why was he out at 2.30am mid series?

What a waste of talent. What a shame.
Piers Morgan (who has never lied about anything) has tweeted:
"I'm hearing that Ben Stokes intervened to help two gay guys who were being abused by yobs, one of whom was armed with a bottle.
Stokes has told friends he was incensed by the homophobic taunts, then saw the bottle being raised & decided to defend himself."
If you're wandering around at 2.30 am, I guess that's just the kind of situation you may walk into. 
All the more reason to be in bed asleep.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
The video speaks for itself whatever may or may not have been the spark.
An ugly, sustained, loutish attack.
I am unhappy about the comparisons being drawn with Botham and Flintoff. Whatever their shortcomings they didn't remotely descend to this level.
As for Stokes, now he is formally suspended I don't see how this could be lifted until the police investigation is completed which surely rules out the Ashes.
How he hasn't yet been formally stripped of the vice-captaincy is a mystery.
The defence of self-defence ends once the other party is no longer posing a threat. It looks to me like self-defence became retaliation and that may give him a problem. The CPS have the spotlight on them with this case, I think they'll have to authorise a charge. Can't see any custodial sentence being imposed looking at that footage. He hasn't "put the boot in" when the guy goes to ground.

For me, he shouldn't have his England career ended by this. Maybe he should simply be suspended until it's resolved and then it can be looked at again.

Alex Hales is unlucky to be suspended though - he looks to just be calming things down

I think we will be hammered in the Ashes now
(29-09-2017, 12:17 PM)Paul Tait Wrote: The defence of self-defence ends once the other party is no longer posing a threat. It looks to me like self-defence became retaliation and that may give him a problem. The CPS have the spotlight on them with this case, I think they'll have to authorise a charge. Can't see any custodial sentence being imposed looking at that footage. He hasn't "put the boot in" when the guy goes to ground.

For me, he shouldn't have his England career ended by this. Maybe he should simply be suspended until it's resolved and then it can be looked at again.

Alex Hales is unlucky to be suspended though - he looks to just be calming things down

I think we will be hammered in the Ashes now

Stokes hammered in Clifton, England hammered in the Ashes.
Stokes charged with affray:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41798404
Affray carries a maximum penalty when tried summarily - in the magistrates' court - of a fine and/or up to six months in prison, and when tried on indictment - in the crown court - of up to three years in prison. But of course he is innocent until proven guilty.
So now the ECB has decided that Stokes CAN represent England pending his case being heard. I'm struggling to see why he can't play when he hasn't been charged with anything but can when he has. Still, logic and the ECB have never seemed like natural bedfellows.
agree with you RB
The ecb!! They never cease to amaze