Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Hampshire
(28-09-2017, 05:51 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: So, Middlesex join us in Division 2. Can't be very often that the defending champions get relegated!
Indeed. And not only that but the promoted side replacing them as champions.
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
(28-09-2017, 06:09 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Final championship batting figures

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-cha...tournament

Blimey, not a single player averaging 40
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(28-09-2017, 07:16 PM)Lilly Wrote:
(28-09-2017, 06:09 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Final championship batting figures

Blimey, not a single player averaging 40

Thank God this season is now over, it has in my opinion been the worst in my memory and I have been watching since 1961, I can take few positives ............. some much needed blood too late in the season and a couple of promising youngsters maybe.

Still onwards and upwards I can't wait for next season, which has to be better .......... doesn't it ?
(28-09-2017, 06:30 PM)coolerking Wrote:
(28-09-2017, 05:51 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: So, Middlesex join us in Division 2. Can't be very often that the defending champions get relegated!
Indeed.  And not only that but the promoted side replacing them as champions.

It's also interesting that last season, Warwickshire survived on the last day with a win (v Lancs) but Dougie still lost his job; this year, Somerset survived on the last day with a win (v Middlesex) but Matt Maynard has lost his job.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Always sad when the season ends even 1 as bad as this but@least I don't have to suffer these boring stats every week
(28-09-2017, 11:25 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Always sad when the season ends even 1 as bad as this but@least I don't have to suffer these boring stats every week

It was a good day's 'proper' cricket wasn't it and fitting that it went to the last hour of the final day. Bears tried so hard.
This page has the final championship batting and bowling figures for the season

While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
It looks as though, for the second year running, relegation is to be decided in a committee room rather than on the pitch:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/2...ion-furore
Tricky one this. However teams should not be relying on being able to catch up later on in the game. What would have happened had it been bad weather that had prevented further play?
LE - aka John
But bad weather can be foreseen abandonment through a crossbow bolt cannot so seriously they have a good case.

The original penalty seemed harsh but it should have been resolved before the last game of the season. Teams need to know what they require in order to stay up: Somerset and Hampshire did that; Middlesex didn't. Sorry, but whingeing to the Committee after the season is finished shouldn't be encouraged.
[-] The following 2 users Like GrizzlyBear's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
It's a bit like not reviewing a turned down lbw appeal; and then when the batsman goes on to win the match, asking for it to be reviewed after the event.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Leicester Exile
(30-09-2017, 01:51 PM)Paul Wrote: But  bad weather can be foreseen abandonment through a crossbow bolt cannot so seriously they have a good case.

But how many times has the weather turned out worse than forecasted or where water got under covers prolonging the delay. Teams should not allow the bowling rate to get behind. Besides who is to say that Middlesex would have made up the slack and recovered the bowling rate.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
(30-09-2017, 03:45 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(30-09-2017, 01:51 PM)Paul Wrote: But  bad weather can be foreseen abandonment through a crossbow bolt cannot so seriously they have a good case.

But how many times has the weather turned out worse than forecasted or where water got under covers prolonging the delay. Teams should not allow the bowling rate to get behind. Besides who is to say that Middlesex would have made up the slack and recovered the bowling rate.

Perhaps they shouldn't but it was a ridiculous decision to dock them points given the circumstances. If they hadn't nobody would have complalined. Now if they overturn the decision Somerset will feel agrieved.

It would once again make a mockery of the game if this appeal is upheld, the table shows Middlesex 2nd bottom end of-relegate the whingeing cockneys
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile
(30-09-2017, 08:25 PM)narsty simon Wrote: It would once again make a mockery of the game if this appeal is upheld, the table shows Middlesex 2nd bottom end of-relegate the whingeing cockneys

And there's the best reason of all - Biggrin
LE - aka John
No reasonable chance of the appeal succeeding.
But the system is ridiculous. A slow over rate should be punished by a fine or the suspension of the captain in future games. It shouldn't lead to the relegation of a team which has won more points than another.
I can see the argument for such a draconian punishment in circumstances where he slow rate is deliberately unsportsmanlike but I haven't seen any evidence that that is the case here.
There was actually some world class time wasting at Taunton on Wednesday when Middlesex managed to bowl only 12 overs in the first hour despite Ravi Patel holding down one end. They were playing for rain which came too late for them and there was no penalty.

And as for "cockneys", well two of them were born in Middlesex but there are as many Irishmen and Australians ...
(30-09-2017, 08:46 PM)exiledinkent Wrote: No reasonable chance of the appeal succeeding.
But the system is ridiculous. A slow over rate should be punished by a fine or the suspension of the captain in future games. It shouldn't lead to the relegation of a team which has won more points than another.
I can see the argument for such a draconian punishment in circumstances where he slow rate is deliberately unsportsmanlike but I haven't seen any evidence that that is the case here.

The other problem is that umpires seem totally unwilling or unable to move things along.  The number of delays for unofficial drinks breaks, bringing helmets on, taking them off again, lengthy debates about field placing, batsmen having mid-wicket conferences about which night-club they should go to for a punch-up, is quite staggering to someone like me brought up on 20 overs an hour as the norm.
Umpires need to start telling players to get on with it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Leicester Exile, parkfield bear
(30-09-2017, 09:11 PM)Terry Wrote:
(30-09-2017, 08:46 PM)exiledinkent Wrote: No reasonable chance of the appeal succeeding.

The other problem is that umpires seem totally unwilling or unable to move things along.  The number of delays for unofficial drinks breaks, bringing helmets on, taking them off again, lengthy debates about field placing, batsmen having mid-wicket conferences about which night-club they should go to for a punch-up,  is quite staggering to someone like me brought up on 20 overs an hour as the norm.
Umpires need to start telling players to get on with it.

Not to mention ball changing,that should never happen