Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Essex
I had hoped that we would at least put up a bit of a fight today...

One potential positive of getting relegated is that we should (hopefully) win more games than this season! We'd do well to win less...
Proud to be a Bear
Complete and utter embarrassment I'm afraid. Struggling to believe how much Porter & Harmer have outbowled Woakes & Patel on this track!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes braddy's post:
Malc
(14-09-2017, 12:15 PM)braddy Wrote: Complete and utter embarrassment I'm afraid. Struggling to believe how much Porter & Harmer have outbowled Woakes & Patel on this track!!

I'm not sure it's that they've outbowled us, rather that they've outbatted us.
Proud to be a Bear
112 all out. No more words that can be said about this season really.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Can we just end the season now?
Proud to be a Bear
Time for the biggest clear out in the clubs history. Some 'names' should be moved on to pastures new & the old boys club destroyed . There is an upside. Some nice traditional grounds to visit next year!
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnLich's post:
Fuerteventura Bear
The worst thing is the complete, total, utter predictably of it.
I make that our 5th Innings defeat of the season. Has that ever happened before in the Up to 16 games a season or, indeed, in the days of the 17/18 team championship?
LE - aka John
Desperate performances throughout the season. Another capitulation by batters, bowlers and coaching/management staff. I have heard Nick Knight telling the TV audience this week that we are in good hands and that we are fortunate to have Giles and Traughton to take us forward. He also mentioned that in Alan Richardson we have a fine bowling coach to bring on our young bowlers. What evidence has there been of any of these claims? In the case of Richardson what evidence has there been since he returned to the club that he has, or will, improve any of our bowlers, we have watched Woakes and Patel completely out bowled this week, and on our own muck heap. It seems yet another case of the "closing of ranks" by the Warwickshire old boys. The Giles interview on Sky following today's debacle was luke warm and resigned, almost a shrug of the shoulders, it showed about as much fight as Bell and co have shown all season.
We have just been humiliated in three days, at Edgbaston by Essex with Bell, Trott, Woakes and Patel in the side. Woeful Ashley absolutely woeful, I'm embarrassed you should be ashamed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
Fuerteventura Bear
Hard to disagree with anything you have said there rayb. I thought Jim would have come out to talk not Ashley, as he is the first team coach. Hardly heard from Jim over the last few week, almost seems as though he has gone missing when the going has got tough, not a promising sign is it. Lets all hope we come stright back up we should do.
Bit unfair to criticise Patel. He didn't have our batsmen to bowl at.
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn but we have two highly respected ex internationals who are struggling for consistent form. In football terms they may have now been rested. But they haven't and the situation has got worse and worse. Don't understand at all why play them both at 3 and 4 and make a fatal batting collapse like today inevitable Lamb or Petal!!! showed pitch was playable Morale of the rest of the team has be undermined Well done Essex
[-] The following 1 user Likes Llanbranch's post:
South Coast Bear
I gave up watching when 5 wickets down - no fight no spirit and just a desperate look of inevitability.

I cannot recall a time when our batting and our bowling has been so consistently dreadful. Do we need a top quality batting coach and a top quality bowling coach?
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Fuerteventura Bear, South Coast Bear
I am rarely lost for words ............. so how about embarrassed, disappointed, drained and yes disgusted, no confidence, low morale and we seem to show no fight, although knowing professional sportsmen I know that is not the case.

I have been proudly watching the Bears since 1961 and this has to be the worse season I can recall, with the worse set of players I can remember. But hang on a minute, some of them are very good cricketers so why have we been so abysmal this season ?

We all knew it was coming following the lack of close season activity, the departures and the fact we were lucky not to go down last season, so why didn't the off the field professionals and Edgbaston PLC foresee it also ?

But I love Warwickshire County Cricket Club, I will proudly wear my hat and team shirt on my upcoming holiday to the far east, I am too old to change and already looking forward to better next season .............. it cannot be as bad as this !!

In conclusion (well almost) ...........before I retired I had twelve years running a professional Football League Club and if we had ever had a season like this our fans would have crucified us, fortunately we didn't and so they didn't. However, fortunately cricket fans are not like that and I am proud with the restraint shown by the members and this forum as debacle followed debacle all summer.

We will return and so will I, although I cannot wait for the nightmare that has been this season to be over.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South Coast Bear's post:
Fuerteventura Bear
Current championship batting averages

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-cha...tournament

Two positives, the consistency of Trotty, averaging 40 when all around hin was collapsing is good.

Also the performances of Matt Lamb, who has come into the side and, while not making a century, has contributed solidly, averaging just below 30, while usually coming in when the side was in the middle of a major collapse. Hopefully next season he can come in when the side is in a srong position and is able to play his naturally attacking game.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
South Coast Bear
(14-09-2017, 10:32 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Current championship batting averages

Two positives, the consistency of Trotty, averaging 40 when all around hin was collapsing is good.

Also the performances of Matt Lamb, who has come into the side and, while not making a century, has contributed solidly, averaging just below 30, while usually coming in when the side was in the middle of a major collapse.  Hopefully next season he can come in when the side is in a srong position and is able to play his naturally attacking game.

Did you see Lamb's dismissal yesterday?
(14-09-2017, 01:17 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote:
(14-09-2017, 12:15 PM)braddy Wrote: Complete and utter embarrassment I'm afraid. Struggling to believe how much Porter & Harmer have outbowled Woakes & Patel on this track!!

I'm not sure it's that they've outbowled us, rather that they've outbatted us.

Unfortunately, like most other teams, they outplayed us in every aspect of the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fuerteventura Bear's post:
narsty simon
(15-09-2017, 07:38 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(14-09-2017, 10:32 PM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Current championship batting averages

Also the performances of Matt Lamb, who has come into the side and, while not making a century, has contributed solidly, averaging just below 30, while usually coming in when the side was in the middle of a major collapse.  Hopefully next season he can come in when the side is in a srong position and is able to play his naturally attacking game.

Did you see Lamb's dismissal yesterday?

It was certainly 'attacking' as TGM says he plays. I find it hard to overly blame the lad given the game situation and the more senior players had themselves completely tossed it off.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
(14-09-2017, 09:57 PM)South Coast Bear Wrote: I am rarely lost for words ............. so how about embarrassed, disappointed, drained and yes disgusted, no confidence, low morale and we seem to show no fight, although knowing professional sportsmen I know that is not the case.

I have been proudly watching the Bears since 1961 and this has to be the worse season I can recall, with the worse set of players I can remember. But hang on a minute, some of them are very good cricketers so why have we been so abysmal this season ?

We all knew it was coming following the lack of close season activity, the departures and the fact we were lucky not to go down last season, so why didn't the off the field professionals and Edgbaston PLC foresee it also ?

But I love Warwickshire County Cricket Club, I will proudly wear my hat and team shirt on my upcoming holiday to the far east, I am too old to change and already looking forward to better next season .............. it cannot be as bad as this !!

In conclusion (well almost) ...........before I retired I had twelve years running a professional Football League Club and if we had ever had a season like this our fans would have crucified us, fortunately we didn't and so they didn't. However, fortunately cricket fans are not like that and I am proud with the restraint shown by the members and this forum as debacle followed debacle all summer.

We will return and so will I, although I cannot wait for the nightmare that has been this season to be over.

To be fair, management did take action at the end of last season by moving Dougie on.  Ashley didn't arrive until January so there was little scope then to start signing or sacking players.  Over the last couple of months (too late, as we know) there has been a lot of movement in and out; and at last some of the young players such as Lamb, Pollock, Singh, Thomason have started to come through.

If you have been following the Bears since 1961, you will probably remember 1981 and 1982 when we finished bottom of all 17 counties for two consecutive seasons.  I think I'm right in saying that the bowlers averaged 45 runs per wicket over those two seasons.

Having said all of that, I totally agree that the current situation is embarrassing and upsetting.  I went to Taunton yesterday and saw fellow relegation strugglers Somerset battling really hard to beat Lancashire -  a fiercely fought contest, as First Division cricket should be, not abject surrender.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(15-09-2017, 09:57 AM)Terry Wrote:
(14-09-2017, 09:57 PM)South Coast Bear Wrote: I am rarely lost for words ............. so how about embarrassed, disappointed, drained and yes disgusted, no confidence, low morale and we seem to show no fight, although knowing professional sportsmen I know that is not the case.

To be fair, management did take action at the end of last season by moving Dougie on.  Ashley didn't arrive until January so there was little scope then to start signing or sacking players.  Over the last couple of months (too late, as we know) there has been a lot of movement in and out; and at last some of the young players such as Lamb, Pollock, Singh, Thomason have started to come through.

If you have been following the Bears since 1961, you will probably remember 1981 and 1982 when we finished bottom of all 17 counties for two consecutive seasons.  I think I'm right in saying that the bowlers averaged 45 runs per wicket over those two seasons.

Having said all of that, I totally agree that the current situation is embarrassing and upsetting.  I went to Taunton yesterday and saw fellow relegation strugglers Somerset battling really hard to beat Lancashire -  a fiercely fought contest, as First Division cricket should be, not abject surrender.

Agreed. I don't think Ashley can be blamed for this - the rot had started to set in long before he arrived, and I think the green shoots of recovery are now beginning to show (although not in this performance, but the side was already effectively relegated). And to be fair, if you looked at our top order which at the start of the season included Hain, Bell, Trott and Westwood - on paper it doesn't look too bad. I'm not sure many could have foreseen just how dramatically Bell and Hain would lose form. Let's hope they get it back next season.
Proud to be a Bear