Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warwickshire v Somerset
Doubt whether it will be enough to stop them winning

(08-09-2017, 12:46 PM)Paul Wrote: Doubt whether it will be enough to stop them winning
It was not.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Sounds like the biggest shower was the Warks team. I think we need to focus on the positives and regroup next year in division two. At least we've got some talented new blood, not all of which has been bought in from other counties. Good to see that Singh and Pollock have signed contract extensions- any news of Thornton and Sidebottom, both of whom I'd like to see in our line up next year? I'm impressed but not surprised to see Ashley grasp the nettle - need to sort out captaincy for next year and look for a long term replacement for Ambrose. How about Clarke from Worc - he wants to keep wicket, though whether he'd be prepared to stay in division two is another matter.
Another poor, gutless, inept performance, I mistakenly thought that the change of captain might raise our resistance levels but sadly no sign of it. It makes me wonder if we have wanted to avoid relegation, and I know the answer will be "of course we did" but if that is the case it's been an appalling effort sprinkled with strange and lumbering management decisions. The game against Somerset was obviously our last throw of the dice and I felt sure that Pollock and Stone were nailed on for selection, we needed to be on the front foot and not only score runs but score them at a good rate. Pollock has appeared to me the most confident and accomplished batsman we have seen this season, it is beyond me why this young man was not selected for this game, he has certainly lifted the spirits of he 20/20 side surely he warranted selection in the hope that he might do the same over 4 days. Stone at the weekend looked full of genuine pace and threat against some very good batters. Otis Gibson when asked on Sky today about the strength of England's fast bowling stable responded by firstly saying that he felt Mark Wood still had a big role to play for the national team, he then said how impressed he was with Olly Stone at the weekend adding that the England set up "knew all about Olly Stone". Again, if we had a desire to win this game why weren't these lads selected and in the case of some of the new faces (with the obvious exception of Stone) where have they been throughout the early part of this season. Very disappointing and very questionable management.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
Leicester Exile
(08-09-2017, 05:32 PM)Rayb Wrote: Another poor, gutless, inept performance, I mistakenly thought that the change of captain might raise our resistance levels but sadly no sign of it. It makes me wonder if we have wanted to avoid relegation, and I know the answer will be "of course we did" but if that is the case it's been an appalling effort sprinkled with strange and lumbering management decisions. The game against Somerset was obviously our last throw of the dice and I felt sure that Pollock and Stone were nailed on for selection, we needed to be on the front foot and not only score runs but score them at a good rate. Pollock has appeared to me the most confident and accomplished batsman we have seen this season, it is beyond me why this young man was not selected for this game, he has certainly lifted the spirits of he 20/20 side surely he warranted selection in the hope that he might do the same over 4 days. Stone at the weekend looked full of genuine pace and threat against some very good batters. Otis Gibson when asked on Sky today about the strength of England's fast bowling stable responded by firstly saying that he felt Mark Wood still had a big role to play for the national team, he then said how impressed he was with Olly Stone at the weekend adding that the England set up "knew all about Olly Stone". Again, if we had a desire to win this game why weren't these lads selected and in the case of some of the new faces (with the obvious exception of Stone) where have they been throughout the early part of this season. Very disappointing and very questionable management.

Not sure what you mean by where have the new faces been earlier in the year. Neither Sibley, Hose nor Sidebottom were playing for Warwickshire until relatively recently, Pollock I believe was at university earlier in the season and Stone I suspect is being very gradually eased back to longer spells of cricket. He has been injured for the best part of a year so seems sensible to me to do that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
IanBear
Pollock may well have been at university earlier in the season but he's not at bloody university now, "not sure what I mean"? - that's what I mean. We have seventeen batting points with two of Englands supposed finest in the ranks, the fact is your attitude is a reflection of Edgebaston PLCs, our cricket team is no longer of primary importance. Somerset come and take the p... and it's "never mind we are trying hard"
(08-09-2017, 07:44 PM)Rayb Wrote: Pollock may well have been at university earlier in the season but he's not at bloody university now, "not sure what I mean"? - that's what I mean. We have seventeen batting points with two of Englands supposed finest in the ranks, the fact is your attitude is a reflection of Edgebaston PLCs, our cricket team is no longer of primary importance. Somerset come and take the p... and it's "never mind we are trying hard"

How dare you talk about my attitude. You don't know me so don't second guess my passion for the cricket played at Edgbaston. I try and get down to as many games as I can, work permitting and care very much about what's happening down there and have done for over 40 years. And how the hell do you know what the attitude towards the cricket is at 'Edgbaston PLC'? Ashley has taken some positive steps towards repairing what is clearly a pretty dire situation and the money has been found for that. Seems to me there is some light at the end of the tunnel but it's not going to happen overnight.
I think you are both correct.... its been cr@p and there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

Some big decisions have to be made.... in my mind Bells eye may have gone... reminicent of Dougie towards the end.... Heart in the right place, but the denoemant of a great career came quickly.

Big close season coming....
Ed Pollock has said that his defence is not good enough for championship cricket, yet. I can imagine some of the posts here if he was tried and failed.
We will see a different, and more polished all round game from Ed next season, especially as this will be the first winter he has been able to concentrate just on preparing for the cricket season.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Someone should explain to him then that none of our batsmen have defences that are good enough for championship cricket, and we wouldn't be picking him for his defence we just needed some runs. Let's hope they all have a more "polished all round game" next season, even if they haven't it probably won't be as evident in division two.
End of the season feel today, despite the fact there's a few games left.

That the batting is a embarassing is a long term situation. On very little of my own ocular evidence, it seems they don't mentally fit together. The openers don't seem to have a game plan, in Umeed's Rendering him virtually shotless. As Warleybear put it, Bell's eye seems to have gone and he doesn't seem able to lead us out of pressure situations. Lamb has application, but he's always up against it and is inexperienced. It surely can't be the plan for him to have to drop anchor at 20/3 all the time.

In addition, it seems that the bowlers can't consistently keep the pressure on now, which I think is new from this stage last season. It's rare that they've made a breakthrough then really capitalised. It might be that Wright, Rankin are getting on and are long term damaged by their injuries, might also be that they're collectively mentally shot now - not least from having to constantly dig us out of a hole with the bat.

Despite this, I think we've bottomed out. There's a plan being excecuted and there's lots of players to come in that look promising. I'm actually looking forward to a trip to Leicester to see it in action next year. This time last season I really believed we were rudderless - and so it came to be earlier this year.
Might not get Leicester, don't forget we only play 4teams once
Really? So there can be a scenario where a team plays a top team (like Notts this season) twice and a poor one (Leicester) once?but a rival has it reversed? That hardly seems fair!
[-] The following 1 user Likes adickinson's post:
narsty simon
Latest championship batting averages, with additional columns to show the figures with the players highest score removed, which gives a more accurate view of a players contribution to the side.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1jwigdewiwev3r...g.pdf?dl=0
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
I was just thinking If you take out a players best performance then Jim Laker would never have got 19 wickets in a match and Massie his 16 at Lords

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
narsty simon
There is a statistical method where you strip out all the outliers. This would mean taking the lower scores out as well. I know cricket is a statistical game, but does tend to take the fun of it! And interesting about the lack of games next year, have a peculiar affection for Grace Road...
There's not much point in picking over the remains of this season. The squad had been allowed to stagnate and only in recent weeks has the process of re-invigorating it begun. That won't reach a conclusion overnight - remember that the likes of Sibley, Hose and Rhodes are only coming to us because they can't get into their existing counties' first team. They are not the finished article and nor are Pollock, Thomason, Lamb, Singh, etc. Quite honestly, I would be surprised if we bounced back from Division Two at the first attempt. What we have got, though, is a group of lads with good potential. They won't all make the grade but some will, given time.

Patience, guys (and gal), patience.
(09-09-2017, 10:37 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: There's not much point in picking over the remains of this season. The squad had been allowed to stagnate and only in recent weeks has the process of re-invigorating it begun. That won't reach a conclusion overnight - remember that the likes of Sibley, Hose and Rhodes are only coming to us because they can't get into their existing counties' first team. They are not the finished article and nor are Pollock, Thomason, Lamb, Singh, etc. Quite honestly, I would be surprised if we bounced back from Division Two at the first attempt. What we have got, though, is a group of lads with good potential. They won't all make the grade but some will, given time.

Patience, guys (and gal), patience.

Totally agree, this isn't going to change overnight. It could be really heartening over the next couple of years to see the younger players develop into the finished article.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Paul
(09-09-2017, 10:31 AM)Tayls79 Wrote: There is a statistical method where you strip out all the outliers. This would mean taking the lower scores out as well. I know cricket is a statistical game, but does tend to take the fun of it! And interesting about the lack of games next year, have a peculiar affection for Grace Road...

Peculiar? Some might say weird!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(09-09-2017, 08:00 AM)adickinson Wrote: Really? So there can be a scenario where a team plays a top team (like Notts this season) twice and a poor one (Leicester) once?but a rival has it reversed? That hardly seems fair!

It's no way to run a league but this is the ecb telling up there is too much cricket despite Trott playing twice for the 2s to get his 16 games in, work that 1 out!