Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finals Day
Enjoyed the day, been to everyone at Edgbaston, and always enjoyed it even when we are not in it. Well done to the team on getting to the final. Agree with everything said about the day, and feeling more confidant now about the future. Glad Grant will be back next year, and i would also like to see the best name in cricket back as well, i think Colin has been a solid player. At one point i thought he was going to give Collins Obuya a run for his money as the worst overseas player to play for us.
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned - what a great pitch Gary Barwell and his team produced! Congratulations to them.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Leicester Exile, Warleybear
Yes the pitch was superb. I am just looking through the programme from yesterday. Notts had the best strike rate for batting but the worst overall economy rate for conceding runs, 9.17. It goes along with my theory about limited overs cricket, it's not an even contest between bat and ball, it's about clearing the ropes more often than your opponent. That stat has really surprised me with all the talk about Notts bowlers being so good. Only Samit Patel's economy is good but then again so is our Patel's and I hope we can fit more spin into our limited overs campaign's next season. Big hitting is the key to success in the shorter games and I think in Pollock, Sibley and Hose, we have a great new combo. India won the 2011 World cup with a very ordinary bowling attack, at times, awful fielding but their big hitters won it for them.
Always disappointing to lose a final, but I have to say I was proud of the lads and thoroughly enjoyed the day as a whole. Edgbaston truly does put on a fantastic day every year that others would struggle to rival.

Positive signs for the future with the likes of Pollock, Sibley, Hose, Hain and Stone I have to say. There are far more green shoots of recovery now compared to how we looked before the T20 season started, when we had an ageing squad getting pummelled in all formats. I think Ashley has taken the bull by the horns and instead of spending his time talking about ways we need to improve, he is getting out there and talking to the right people.

Hain was absolutely superb in the final. Only holing out when he had no choice but to go big every shot as we were way behind the required rate. I hope he can play himself into red ball form too and become the player we all know he can be
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Agree with all of what has been said.

Interestingly although we struggled with the total target run rate..... for most of our innings we were ahead of where Notts were at the same point. That last over of theirs was the real killer.... a total in the mid to late 170s would have been a different mind set for us. I suppose they got themselves in a position to go for it.... but we need to learn from those 'end' overs.
Finals Day next year is on the 15th September! Not sure I'm a fan of having it so late but at least it's after my club's cricket season has finished!
Proud to be a Bear
(05-09-2017, 12:26 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Finals Day next year is on the 15th September! Not sure I'm a fan of having it so late but at least it's after my club's cricket season has finished!

Way too late. The weather - dew especially - could play far too big a part in results.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Leicester Exile
(05-09-2017, 02:12 PM)stingray Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 12:26 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Finals Day next year is on the 15th September! Not sure I'm a fan of having it so late but at least it's after my club's cricket season has finished!

Way too late. The weather - dew especially - could play far too big a part in results.

Agreed - and all those people dressed as Santa Claus.
Further attempts by the ECB to try and make the Blast a failure? Or am I just being cynical?
Proud to be a Bear
Dew played a small part this year - both captains decided they would bowl first because of the dew factor. So being played a fortnight later is just unbelievable. EB I do believe there might be some truth in your thinking.
LE - aka John
(05-09-2017, 04:58 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Further attempts by the ECB to try and make the Blast a failure? Or am I just being cynical?

Perish the thought!
Does it suggest they will play the entire group phase in the holidays?
Or are they making room for the city based franchise that the public do not want
LE - aka John
(05-09-2017, 09:31 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Or are they making room for the city based franchise that the public do not want

When the new competition comes in, I think the aim is to play the Blast earlier in the season rather than later, with the new competition to follow.
(05-09-2017, 09:31 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Or are they making room for the city based franchise that the public do not want

Hmmm..... "the public do not want"..... thats perhaps wishful thinking in some quarters. Attending an awful lot of T20, both in the general public and corperate area, I get more than a feeling that there is a demand for this. Both competitions will do well...... what wont do well is the 50 over game as a domestic one day format.
WB there is an old show-business maxim - leave the audience wanting more! What worries me is that ECB will saturate the game with T20 to the point where the "audience" get tired of it - a bit like what happens when we keep seeing the same face appearing on TV, we get fed up of him/her.

And do you really think people want a city based competition?
LE - aka John
(06-09-2017, 09:24 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: WB there is an old show-business maxim - leave the audience wanting more! What worries me is that ECB will saturate the game with T20 to the point where the "audience" get tired of it - a bit like what happens when we keep seeing the same face appearing on TV, we get fed up of him/her.

I have to say I've yet to come across anyone at a cricket ground who thinks it's a good idea. Cricket fans want to watch 'their' established team. That's not to say the stag and corporate groups won't be delighted!
(06-09-2017, 10:00 AM)stingray Wrote:
(06-09-2017, 09:24 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote: WB there is an old show-business maxim - leave the audience wanting more! What worries me is that ECB will saturate the game with T20 to the point where the "audience" get tired of it - a bit like what happens when we keep seeing the same face appearing on TV, we get fed up of him/her.

I have to say I've yet to come across anyone at a cricket ground who thinks it's a good idea. Cricket fans want to watch 'their' established team. That's not to say the stag and corporate groups won't be delighted!

For god's sake let it go. It's not going to happen!
The game has changed. Memberships have been declining for many years (certainly before the start of this century). My estimate of 180,000 county members in this country is probably now on the high side? The group of those who have views on the game marginalised…. Sadly to the powers that be an irrelevance. Sky and the corporate boys pay the piper…. and the hundreds of thousands who buy tickets. My company spends a lot of money on corporate entertainment at Edgbaston. It is sad to say, but they are not interested in 4 day or 50 over county cricket. They are only interested in T20, Thursday and Fridays at the Test and certain ODIs. In reality it is getting harder for them to get people into some of the ‘lesser’ tests and may cut back in that area. They want something that is an event, people there and the best players… they want to entertain their clients. I remember many saying that T20 would fail nearly two decades ago … well attendances continue to grow, with many counties depending on the revenue. Both county and city based T20 will do well in this country. We all have our views … probably all are valid…. But a schism is happening for many reasons in the game … money being the main driver.... so yes, like it or not, T20 is the present and the future..... it funds the game.... lets hope we can support the longer format with the money.