Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finals Day
(02-09-2017, 09:34 PM)Measham Bear Wrote: Shame, bit too much experience from them in the end............Gurney the best bowler out there tonight.

We turned our T20 season around wel and there is good optimism for the future.

Experience was the key. Stone kept hanging it out there for Christian with the ball in that final over and every time Gurney or Ball came on they pegged us back with the bat. 

I was thinking this morning if we just play well in the final I'd be happy, given how long our team have been going against a well established squad. I think I'm just slightly disappointed as there were some raw moments from young lads.

If they learn from it, then we're all good.
Yes, Hain is still only 22, Pollock 22, Sibley 21, Hose 21,Thomason 20, FLIPPIN' ECK, I Have Natwest Programmes that are older than them so the future looks brighter but I still hate Notts, they were down and out in their semi and Hampshire just blew it big time. I'd have fancied us v Hampshire. Grant, why do you insist on chasing when both semi's must have told you something and chasing under lights in finals here is so difficult. And spin had proved to be hard to score off and we did not learn that lesson. Watch out Ash or we will lose Poysden as I cannot see him carrying drinks for much longer and Javid is already looking elsewhere from what I heard on the way back on Radio WM. I am sad and will hear the death knell soon on our relegation starting with our game starting Tuesday and I have the last game v Hampshire to also look forward to, yes Simon you may called 'Proper Cricket' and I agree but we are not playing it the 'Proper' way at the moment. Roll on Winter but I am not looking ahead in hope when we try and retain that 'Little Urn'.
Yeah I always thought we should have batted first tonight. Has Elliott got another season in him? We'd had been lost without him in quite a few matches. A good effort today but a shame to lose in the final. I think our innings turned when Pollock got run out. Whenever we have chased successfully I think he's got a score so that was a shame. I'm sure he'll learn from that though!
Proud to be a Bear
When Hope got out I knew we had lost because he can also be very distructive. To be honest it wouldn't have made any difference if we had batted first. We couldn't have got off to a better start with the ball and I do think Notts have a vastly superior bowling attack to Glamorgan so we would have struggled to get to 170

I know it was peripheral to the cricket but to those who haven't seen it, the videos showing Bumble and Freddie in their sing off and leading the crowd in Sweet Caroline are all on the Sky cricket site. I've just watched them again and laughed until I've cried. Worth the ticket price just for those gems.

And (Simon you'll hate this), how good was Sam Hain in the final. A class act.
Sorry Paul but I do think it would have made a difference batting first. When the lights are on, not many scores over 160 are chased without problems and I would sooner defend 170 than chase it. The playing area was very large and trying to hit in certain areas was problematic. You can often see players trying to hit the cover off the ball only to see it run 10 feet away. Certain grounds are hard to chase on under lights and it only seems to be achieved when a score 140-160 is chased. I doubt if 190 has been got successfully under lights at Edgbaston, ever.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Paul
I have to say that I was disappointed in Elliot when he took himself out of the attack after his second over, poor that it was he surely had the experience to pick up two more of the death overs. I wasn't happy that he left them to Sibley and Stone given that Stone's last over of 20 plus was exactly the same as his last against Surrey in the quarter final. And before anyone accuses me of batterind Joss Stone I thought in general he was great and should be a real find for the Bears, I thought simply that we didn't captain our bowlers well for the last ten overs of the Notts inning because we had the game by the short ones for the first ten.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
paulbear
final t20 batting stats http://stats.espncricinfo.com/warwickshi...ype=season

&

Bowling http://stats.espncricinfo.com/warwickshi...ype=season
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Even the Notts captain said he would have bowled first if he won the toss. The reasoning was all down to evening dew creating a problem for bowlers later on.

We can all, with hindsight, find where we made wrong decisions. For me bowling Sibley so much instead of trying de Grandhomme earlier. But, hey, this is a VERY young side and considering where we were two months ago I think the team did us proud.

For me, I am excited about the future in all formats of the game. If we can keep these young 'uns, bring on Poysden and one or two others I do believe they may end up challenging the success of the 90s teams.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 4 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Harborne Bear, Paul, rednalbear, Warleybear
Totally agree LE... whilst the season has been difficult, as September takes hold and the nights pull in, I am excited about the future..... and I didnt think Id be saying that at the end of June.

It will have been a great experience for the lads yesterday and they will want some winners nedals and trophies... they will be hungry.
(02-09-2017, 11:58 PM)stingray Wrote: I know it was peripheral to the cricket but to those who haven't seen it, the videos showing Bumble and Freddie in their sing off and leading the crowd in Sweet Caroline are all on the Sky cricket site. I've just watched them again and laughed until I've cried. Worth the ticket price just for those gems.

And (Simon you'll hate this), how good was Sam Hain in the final. A class act.

Very good hope he can get back in the championship side. I wish I knew Bumble's secret,  so much energy for a 70 year old.

Their record throughout the season suggests that Notts are the best T20 team in the country at the moment - and the best one-day team overall. So there was no disgrace in losing to them.
I thought that the Bears should have batted first but I wasn't really factoring in the dew. 
I said before the Final to anyone who would listen (well, it was only my daughter, actually) that the Bears needed to use more spin in the final and should bring Josh Poysden in.  Using Dom Sibley was a dangerous alternative.  Grant Elliott obviously wasn't at Old Trafford to see the two dreadful overs that Sibley bowled there.
It will be interesting to see how this young T20 side hangs together and develops. Pollock and Thomason play with no fear and a lot of talent and we know how good Hain has become as a one-day player.  Sibley (as a batsman), Hose and Stone are good acquisitions and we have Will Rhodes to fit in next year.
Will Elliott and de Grandhomme be asked back next year?  They both played useful parts at times without being massive successes.  I think much may depend on how far they were perceived as making an overall contribution to the team both on and off the field; and I have no real idea about that.
With all due respect to Tim Ambrose and Alex Mellor, the team could also benefit from a talented young wicket-keeper who could also bat effectively in the middle order.
I hope that Josh Poysden sticks with it and gets an extended chance (in all formats).  I'm not quite sure who in the Bears set-up doesn't rate him but he certainly seems to me to have been under-used.  In T20, a good leg-spinner is a great asset.  Josh may not have all the natural ability of Mason Crane or even Matt Parkinson but he has worked hard at his game.  I would need a lot of convincing that Ish Sodhi, for example, is a better bowler than Josh.
Anyway, the Bears certainly out-fielded everyone else.  Thomason's clever run-out of danger-man Jacques Rudolph in the semi-final was my highlight of the day.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
rednalbear
By the way, Rikki Clarke tweeted: "Ed Pollock to play for England in the future is my prediction."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Agree with so much of what has been said above about being optimistic about the future. Listening on the way back from the game, Grant Elliott said when asked, that he would be back next year. Clive Ekin (I think it was him) did say he thought that Elliott did make a few curious decisions whilst captaining and I don't have much idea about the history of his captaincy but whether it was a management decision to only play one spinner in the final, I don't know but having seen both semi's surely they must have discussed it - I really hope they did. Spin was a massive success yesterday and if Samit Patel can get way with non-spinning slow deliveries then someone who does 'give it a tweak' would surely have been a better bet. It might seem harsh but Poysden for Thomason would have made sense as Aaron never usually bowls 4 overs and bats too low to have that much impact - if he has to come in and rescue a game, it's the fault of the top order anyway.
(03-09-2017, 12:49 PM)paulbear Wrote: Agree with so much of what has been said above about being optimistic about the future. Listening on the way back from the game, Grant Elliott said when asked, that he would be back next year. Clive Ekin (I think it was him) did say he thought that Elliott did make a few curious decisions whilst captaining and I don't have much idea about the history of his captaincy but whether it was a management decision to only play one spinner in the final, I don't know but having seen both semi's surely they must have discussed it - I really hope they did. Spin was a massive success yesterday and if Samit Patel can get way with non-spinning slow deliveries then someone who does 'give it a tweak' would surely have been a better bet. It might seem harsh but Poysden for Thomason would have made sense as Aaron never usually bowls 4 overs and bats too low to have that much impact - if he has to come in and rescue a game, it's the fault of the top order anyway.

I'd really like Grant Elliott to come back and captain the side. They're a young team and need his leadership. A steadying influence as captain when we looked as if we were going nowhere in the campaign. Apologised for the shot that got him out on twitter - impressed with that.

By the way I thought the Bears were the best fielding side of the finals. I think it's on the BBC cricket site they've put a video titled the Bears fielding master class, with highlights of catches etc.
Well, he definitely stated that he had signed for 2 years so that seems pretty nailed on that he will.
(03-09-2017, 01:16 PM)paulbear Wrote: Well, he definitely stated that he had signed for 2 years so that seems pretty nailed on that he will.

Hadn't realised that. Good.
If I believed in reincarnation, I might think that Neil Carter had come back as Ed Pollock. Left hander, gives it a mighty whack, might be out by the end of the second over but if he is you'll still have thirty on the board. Of course whilst Neil knew how to bat, you would never have picked him just as a batsman in a red ball team. When the bowlers have more freedom as to where and how they bowl and the captains can set the field deeper a happy hitter isn't going to be so effective. Pollock has a lot still to prove but clearly plenty of raw talent. Good luck to the lad and I hope he comes good in all formats.
In all the euphoria regarding Elliott et al let's not forget about Ian Bell. Hopefully he will regain his form and be a great help bringing in the young 'uns
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
The Good Mugabe
Sadly I fear not.... the signs have been their for a while.... its like a train on the track.... you know its comming .... but you dont know how fast until you see it.

I see Notts certainly got the trophy...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41138837