Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lancashire v Warwickshire
(31-08-2017, 09:10 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: I know Simon's question was aimed at Warley-baiting but I'll answer it in a way that may be surprising. I would rather we were relegated.

That's because even though the squad looks far more promising than it did at the start of this season, it's still not of Division One standard. I think we're about the equivalent of Kent at the moment, maybe Sussex, not Nottinghamshire and not really any of the other Division One teams. The new lads need a season or two to gel, after which I have every expectation that we will be back in the big time.

So while that's happening, let's win a trophy and get some confidence back. Even if it is rather like the LDV Vans Cup.

I agree with you about Div 2, Grizzly.  And we can always hope the Pears don't go up, so look forward to a couple of good local battles again !

I also think we'll win the T20 - and that might help recruitment a bit.
(31-08-2017, 10:06 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: Add to that the prize money for winning the T20 is not insubstantial, and this could be used to pay off some of our debt, or recruit some new players, or both.

Winning the T20 should help with recruitment.  I would hope to see us get a new opening batsman - and we've have a much better chance of getting the likes of Jennings, if we can pay a bit more (using any Prize winning money) - even if we are in Div 2.
Well done Tim on a century.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Pity about the rain this morning, buggered our chance of a stunning victory Tongue
LE - aka John
(30-08-2017, 01:09 PM)philly Wrote: We'll set them 128 in the 4th innings, and Jeets will tweak them out.
That's how you do 'optimism' (or is it delusion?).
Warwickshire lead by 11 runs with 4  3 wickets remaining

Only another 116 runs needed, then we can declare!
Hmm not sure Chris Wright coming out and attacking was the best idea.

22/8 currently
Hm. 57 overs left, and only 27 ahead. Tim will have to accelerate if we're going to reach the declaration target with enough overs to bowl them out.
I agree about the majority view on the championship and T20.

Moving on... To get over 300 in the second innings shows some fight and application.
41 to chase then
and 49 overs to bowl them out.

My money is on a tie!
[-] The following 2 users Like philly's post:
Leicester Exile, Warleybear
Jim Troughton comments here:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/trought...re-defeat/

He says: "There's only three players here who are involved in Finals Day on Saturday."
So which three out of Dom Sibley, Ian Bell, Tim Ambrose, Keith Barker, Jeetan Patel and Olly Stone won't be in the squad for Saturday?
I can see that Sibley and Patel are just about certs to make the team but I would have expected most if not all of the others to be in the squad and therefore involved.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(31-08-2017, 05:10 PM)Terry Wrote: Jim Troughton comments here:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/trought...re-defeat/

He says: "There's only three players here who are involved in Finals Day on Saturday."
So which three out of Dom Sibley, Ian Bell, Tim Ambrose, Keith Barker, Jeetan Patel and Olly Stone won't be in the squad for Saturday?
I can see that Sibley and Patel are just about certs to make the team but I would have expected most if not all of the others to be in the squad and therefore involved.

Maybe he means "involved" in terms of making the team. Saying that, I would have thought that Sibley, Ambrose, Patel and Stone would be in the starting XI for the semi final.
Proud to be a Bear
(30-08-2017, 08:40 PM)narsty simon Wrote: 4games left I reckon96points will see us safe

The ONLY hope now, is to beat Yorkshire and Somerset and get AT LEAST one more win (from Essex or Hampshire) AND hope that Somerset and Yorkshire or Middlesex don't win ANY of their other matches !

Some hope !!
Sibley Jeets and Stone are my 3 playing Saturday
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Paul
Well Middlesex didnt win theirs..... worrying...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41103549
Could Surrey have won their game if it hadn't been abandoned?
LE - aka John
I doubt it LE, I was listening at work to the games on 5LiveSX and there appeared to be very few overs left to play anyway. I do wonder though, if a title was at stake, would one side be asking the umpire to get back on and finish.
Appreciate late to the party on this one, but to the either/or question I think it's actually easy to favour the T20 win.

This would reward us with a lot of exposure, rather than simply bragging rights and win bonuses, which ultimately benefits the Championship team further down the line in the way of sponsorship, recruitment and representative recognition.

Psychologically, we'd also all enjoy a win more than merely surviving as well! I don't favour a Bears team in one competition anymore than another. In a certain sort of way, It's almost encouraging to get the opportunity to rebuild in division two in the CC. Let's hope they actually do recover, and early indications seem to indicate they will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tayls79's post:
Paul
Without wanting to offend certain posters I think there is a certain snobbery in cricket. yes the County championship is very important but the other tournaments do matter as well. Would it be the end of the world if we did get relegated. We did so in 2007. We had a good time watching cricket in div 2. Change of scenery. Local ground Derby, Leicester and Worcester. Worse things happen at sea! Anyway sport is about winning trophies and winning the t20 would be great for morale. The quarter at surrey was amazing! No I'm sorry Simon I would rather win the t20
Also I think it would better for us to rebuild in the 2nd like last time. Obviously don't want to stay there too long but its not like football where you loose a ton of money. cricket is cricket whether its div 1 or div 2

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Warleybear
I am trying to convince myself that Warwickshire are more likely to be in the top division in 2019 if they go down this year and rebuild in Division Two rather than trying to do it in Division One next year and going down then.  That may be true, in which case, I would obviously go for winning T20 this year.
From a purely selfish point of view, I may be able to look forward in 2108 to more four day fixtures local to me in Bristol - Gloucestershire, Glamorgan, probably Somerset and possibly Worcestershire.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Warleybear