Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quarter Finals
Viagogo do have a few left but our official site says only 1 left.
'GetMeIn' also have a few by the look of things. One in the Raglan stand would be over £73 and this is including a booking fee.
Thanks everyone for the advice on tickets - much appreciated.
Wow! What an evening. Easily one of the best matches I've been to supporting the Bears, possibly beaten only by us winning the T20 in 2014. I'm really glad that the club suggested a block for Warwickshire supporters to sit in as it made for a great atmosphere throughout. I went with a friend of mine who is a Surrey supporter and I said that I was glad Dernbach was playing as it was a guaranteed 45 runs for us (my friend agreed) and he didn't disappoint! In fact he exceeded expectations by going for nearly 50! It was actually quite entertaining reading through the posts in this thread after the match as it goes to show how much T20 can turn - I was thinking many of the things that were posted here midway through the Surrey innings.

Personally I don't have an issue with Clarke's celebration of his first wicket. Of course he's going to be pumped up for this match, and I wouldn't expect him to not celebrate. It's not as if he goaded the Warwickshire fans! He was a great servant for the club and I think we can only be grateful for what he did for us - and for his bowling against us tonight!

It was also really nice to see all of the Warwickshire players and staff come over to the Warwickshire fans at the end of the game and the spirit amongst fans and players alike was great to see. You've got to fancy us in a semi final against Glamorgan and if we get through that then who knows?
Proud to be a Bear
Yes Sky showed them coming over .... it looked an excellent evening. I did think at 10 overs of the Surrey innings we had lost it... but the bowlers started to bring momentum our way that carried through our batting.

With regard to T20 finals day.... I go most years since it started.... not knowing who is going to be in it (much as I used to with the 50 over final when I used to apply for tickets to Lords in January). Its a great day out for domestic cricket which Edgbaston runs very well.
Delighted with the performance - and amused as ever on this thread by Lilly's ever-changing moods! Wink

Told you before Lilly - always better to wait until the end before venting your fury. Cool

Without wanting to provoke littlePete's ire I rank that as Rikki Clarke's best ever performance for Warwickshire.

The turnaround in T20 has been amazing. After the 3 straight defeats I could sense the entire season draining away.

Credit to Ashley for identifying the problems and putting them right. Tough call on Ian but I hope he can see the positives and that he's inspired for the rest of the campaign.

Hose and Sibley appear very shrewd signings and Ed Pollock already looks like a gem - superb eye and hand speed. It will be interesting what the likes of Nasser Hussain and Michael Atherton say when they see him - they're normally pretty shrewd judges of young players. To my uneducated eye he looks a better player than Jason Roy already.

Just hoping now that the momentum and morale carries through to the Championship. 3 wins from 5 might do it.

After the misery we endured up until July, late summer and early autumn promise much.
[-] The following 3 users Like DaveC's post:
Harborne Bear, Paul, The Good Mugabe
I've watched two T20s this year on Sky. In the first I turned off after watching Colin de Grandhomme serve up leg stump half volleys for 'Duke' Hastings to tap over a fifty yard boundary. Tripe - but that's what I expect from T20. Then I watched yesterday and it worked. It wasn't all hit and hope (Pollock, Hose), there was some skill and thinking going on (Elliot). And it fluctuated from one side to the other. It was exciting. I might even watch finals day.
T 20 is not exactly my favoured format either and I watch it because I would only get weekends to watch otherwise. But, these are more or less the players we see most of the time anyway and it is another chance for us to add to a big list of trophies over the last 25 years compared to not much from the clubs formation up until about 1972 (just 5 trophies by this stage). At least we can say our calls on this forum for change, have come and this side is unrecognisable from 6 weeks ago. Still have some doubts about the bowling but Woakes will come back for finals day and we will be stronger for it.
Freddy has the mental age of about 8 doesn't he.

(26-08-2017, 10:11 AM)Paul Wrote: Freddy has the mental age of about 8 doesn't he.

I don't mind his enthusiasm so much. But what really irritates me is the way in which he wears his inability to pronounce names properly as a badge of honour.

I just think it's the height of rudeness to either mock or deliberately mispronounce someone's name.

In the position commentators are in it's actually pretty easy to find out the preference of the player concerned. I know the late Bill Frindall used to elicit this from the touring players at the start of of every Test summer and pass the information on to the rest of the TMS team.
I agree about Freddie.  The trouble is, that seems to be the general direction that TV cricket commentary is taking.
Richie Benaud must be turning in his grave.
Richie's eight rules of commentary should be on display in every commentary box and pod world-wide.  They were:
  1. Never ask a statement.
  2. Remember the value of a pause.
  3. There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
  4. Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
  5. The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
  6. Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
  7. Concentrate fiercely at all times.
  8. Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.
Well, I suppose that one out eight for Freddie (the last one) is not too bad.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
parkfield bear
I too get fed up with the lack of knowledge about the pronunciation of players' names. We can leave all that to the football commentators. Benaud was a master of just letting the sounds of the crowd add to the atmosphere of what you were watching. Sky continually have advert breaks and you get no atmosphere whereas when Benaud was on BBC he just didn't talk too much and as the camera panned around the ground you got a feeling of what it was like to be there. Unfortunately, TMS has got into this habit of talking about nothing and Swann is a prime example of someone who is convinced he is a 'Character' and Vaughan's pronunciation of just about any word is usually junior school level.
(25-08-2017, 10:32 PM)stingray Wrote:
(25-08-2017, 10:31 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Anyone know if further tickets will be released for finals day or is it really a sell out?

My understanding is they hold tickets back - I've always managed to get them after the quarter finals.

Edgbaston always hold back an allocation for each finalist. Nottinghamshire have been given 900 tickets in Raglan (£66) and Wyatt (£71) stands which went on sale this morning. Hampshire have been selling tickets since Wednesday afternoon and Glamorgan since Friday. I was able to easily purchase Wyatt seats from this extra allocation in 2015.

Assume that the club will announce information over the weekend as to when the Bears extra allocation go on sale to members and possibly t20 season pass holders. With Monday being a Bank Holiday, my guess would be Tuesday morning.
(26-08-2017, 10:11 AM)Paul Wrote: Freddy has the mental age of about 8 doesn't he.

That high? The Sky commentary has hit a new low with Freddie as far as I'm concerned. I think it was on another forum that someone described it as like listening to a stag night out in Riga. Sums it up perfectly. The man is a buffoon.
It is unfortunate that anyone from that Ashes team (Another term I hate) of 2005 is automatically thought of in such high esteem that they cannot do wrong. I like Flintoff as a person but that does not mean he should be part of a commentary team. Atherton hated people even suggesting there was anything wrong with his game or captaincy yet now does the job he hated anyone doing whilst he played. Vaughan is lorded around like a God yet was lucky to inherit a really good side but still he is not without blemish as 2 Test series defeats in Sri Lanka (Not sure if this is a record) and a failure to give Giles a single over in the 2004 Champions Trophy Final (21 wickets in Test series v W.I in 2004) are glossed over. He is lucky we did not have DRS in 2005 or Kaspo would have got away with that edge at Edgbaston and 2-0 up, England would have been dead and buried.
(26-08-2017, 12:45 PM)stingray Wrote:

That high? The Sky commentary has hit a new low with Freddie as far as I'm concerned. I think it was on another forum that someone described it as like listening to a stag night out in Riga. Sums it up perfectly. The man is a buffoon.
I agree. But I doubt if we will see him anywhere near Test cricket.
(26-08-2017, 12:35 PM)IanBear Wrote:
(25-08-2017, 10:31 PM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Anyone know if further tickets will be released for finals day or is it really a sell out?

My understanding is they hold tickets back - I've always managed to get them after the quarter finals.

Edgbaston always hold back an allocation for each finalist. Nottinghamshire have been given 900 tickets in Raglan (£66) and Wyatt (£71) stands which went on sale this morning. Hampshire have been selling tickets since Wednesday afternoon and Glamorgan since Friday. I was able to easily purchase Wyatt seats from this extra allocation in 2015.

Assume that the club will announce information over the weekend as to when the Bears extra allocation go on sale to members and possibly t20 season pass holders. With Monday being a Bank Holiday, my guess would be Tuesday morning.

Going on sale on Tuesday.

Be a fantastic PR move if they announce they will revert to playing as Warwickshire Bears in the final!
(26-08-2017, 04:21 PM)Jon Wrote:
(26-08-2017, 12:35 PM)IanBear Wrote:

Going on sale on Tuesday.

Be a fantastic PR move if they announce they will revert to playing as Warwickshire Bears in the final!

For god's sake let it go. It's not going to happen!
[-] The following 2 users Like stingray's post:
Paul, Warleybear
I am afraid we are stuck with that name now. I do enjoy it when certain papers still refer to us as Warwickshire as do certain commentators and reporters.
(26-08-2017, 04:48 PM)paulbear Wrote: I am afraid we are stuck with that name now. I do enjoy it when certain papers still refer to us as Warwickshire as do certain commentators and reporters.

Heard the supporters singing Warwickshire last night!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
paulbear