Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Broad
Just wanted to to use this forum to say how pleased I was to see Stuart Broad go past Sir Ian Botham in the all time list for England.

We've been privileged over the last 10 years to see a bowling partnership that ranks alongside any of the legendary test opening bowling pairs.

I personally don't think enough credit has been given for just how well these 2 players have performed for England.

They truly deserve the same recognition as Larwoood and Voce, Lillee and Thomson, Ambrose and Walsh etc.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
GrizzlyBear
Totally agree Dave. We ars fortunate to have seen them.

These will probably be the last of the test match bowling greats to put on an England shirt as the longer formats of cricket head in a new direction.
yes Anderson and Broad is the best partnership since Trueman and Statham. Another pair WILL come along in a few years time
LE - aka John
Botham Willis?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
narsty simon
Trueman and Statham 284 wickets in just 35 test together as new ball pairing

Willis and Botham 100 wickets in 26 tests in new ball pairing
LE - aka John
Ok but neither by Broads admission come out as the best bowler of their generation. That's Dale Steyn! Broad and Anderson are very very good but then you look at some of the sides they have bowed against Don't think Willis and Botham had any easy matches

narsty simon
(20-08-2017, 08:14 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: yes Anderson and Broad is the best partnership since Trueman and Statham. Another pair WILL come along in a few years time

I think with the decline of the longer format that it will become increasingly unlikely.
I cant see the decline, we are playing more test cricket than ever before and we have the emerging nations. Ireland have test status so that means another test a year for England. Afghanistan as well. Its going to be still around for many many years well beyond t20 cricket.

Leicester Exile
It's difficult but fun to compare players across different eras. One criterion I like to apply to assess whether a player is a "great" is whether he would have had a period of several years when he would be an automatic choice for a world eleven. There's subjectivity in that but it helps take away some of the variation of playing conditions and standard of opposition that otherwise bedevils comparisons. I would say that Jimmy Anderson meets that criterion but that Stuart Broad doesn't. Likewise with Trueman and Statham, Fiery Fred was certainly a great (look at his stats) but "George" was simply very, very good. The only pair we've had where both were world class at the same time, I suggest, is Botham and Willis.

I always rather liked John Snow but, good as he was, I don't think David Brown was ever a world class foil for him.
That's true for me I think strike rates and averages count far more than wickets taken when you you have taken over say 100 wickets or 200 wickets.
Dale Steyn Avg 22 SR 41
Anderson avg 28 SR 56
Broad avg 28 SR 57

Dale Steyn is up there with the greatest of all time yet is barely mentioned by the english media. I wonder why?