Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Day/Night
The official view:
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/965...icket-news
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(21-08-2017, 09:41 AM)adickinson Wrote: Just to add my thoughts, I attended the first day with the old man. We went because it was a test match and it was keenly priced. £27 a ticket is a great price and hopefully that alone encouraged more people to attend!

We sat in the Scrivens Stand, it has more leg room (important for me at 6"5) and a decent view of the wicket. Around us there was plenty of drinking however in the main most of those partaking could clearly handle their drink. They were there to watch the match and have a good day out. A few in the row in front of us were starting to get irritating by around 8pm but in the main it was all good natured.

I know the Hollies stand is the 'Party Stand' thats why I didn't book tickets there. If they want to mess about then that's for them. To be honest I thought for most of the day it was reasonably well behaved. However by the third session they really started to get annoying, the long chant drone was what did it for me. We left at around 9pm as the game began to meander.

We were fortunate that the weather was kind, had it been a normal start time the match would have been delayed. It also stayed pretty warm after the sun went in. Like it has been said elsewhere, if we could be guaranteed hot sunny summer days then I can see the value of Day/Night matches, however we can't. As such I hope they don't become too familiar and are just dropped in from time to time in order to help players acclimatise to the pink ball.

Agree with pretty much all of this. The drone of "Don't take me home@" for 2 hours on Thursday mercifully was not repeated Friday or Saturday. Saturday I had a great view of the Hollies and it looked like everyone in there was having a great time (it added to the atmosphere without being too overbearing, just the right tone, unlike Thursday when that song went on and on...) So yes I reckon drop in a day-night test every other year perhaps. Indian TV will pay loads for us to stage a full day night 5 match series I reckon, so that probably isn't too far away...
(21-08-2017, 09:41 AM)adickinson Wrote: Just to add my thoughts, I attended the first day with the old man. We went because it was a test match and it was keenly priced. £27 a ticket is a great price and hopefully that alone encouraged more people to attend!

We sat in the Scrivens Stand, it has more leg room (important for me at 6"5) and a decent view of the wicket. Around us there was plenty of drinking however in the main most of those partaking could clearly handle their drink. They were there to watch the match and have a good day out. A few in the row in front of us were starting to get irritating by around 8pm but in the main it was all good natured.

I know the Hollies stand is the 'Party Stand' thats why I didn't book tickets there. If they want to mess about then that's for them. To be honest I thought for most of the day it was reasonably well behaved. However by the third session they really started to get annoying, the long chant drone was what did it for me. We left at around 9pm as the game began to meander.

We were fortunate that the weather was kind, had it been a normal start time the match would have been delayed. It also stayed pretty warm after the sun went in. Like it has been said elsewhere, if we could be guaranteed hot sunny summer days then I can see the value of Day/Night matches, however we can't. As such I hope they don't become too familiar and are just dropped in from time to time in order to help players acclimatise to the pink ball.

Interesting- that's also what did it for me the non stop drone - as I said it was like water torture and I left about 8.30pm as I literally couldn't stand it anymore.
Day/night could become an annual event:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2017/...n-success/
From the Edgbaston perspective, maybe the last paragraph was most interesting:
"Becoming an annual host for floodlit Test like Adelaide in Australia is not on the agenda for Warwickshire who are instead lobbying for Edgbaston to host the first match of all high profile series instead playing on England’s strong record at the ground."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Thats exactley how Edgbaston should be viewed... part of the triumpherite along with Lords and the Oval.... A top three venue and also home of T20 finals day. One of the worlds great cricket grounds with a superb atmosphere.

One of the problems with test cricket at the moment is a small section constantly snipeing .... what beats test cricket... you dont need gimmicks and you dont need a carnival atmosphere. Be careful in being devisive.... some may get more than they wished for..... like empty grounds. The game needs a mixture of things....
(27-08-2017, 11:30 AM)Warleybear Wrote: Thats exactley how Edgbaston should be viewed... part of the triumpherite along with Lords and the Oval.... A top three venue and also home of T20 finals day. One of the worlds great cricket grounds with a superb atmosphere.

One of the problems with test cricket at the moment is a small section constantly snipeing .... what beats test cricket... you dont need gimmicks and you dont need a carnival atmosphere. Be careful in being devisive.... some may get more than they wished for..... like empty grounds. The game needs a mixture of things....

Sniping is an unpleasant word Warley and if it's aimed at me and people who have posted on here about some of the unacceptable behaviours at Test matches, unwarranted. None of us have said we don't want people to have fun, what we've all said is some of it is too much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
narsty simon
Sorry but sniping is not an unpleasent word.... some do make sly or petty remarks about the game of cricket... its formats, atmosphere and inovation. If you say you personally dont like something, then you are being direct and that fair enough... but those who say they support the game and snipe need to be careful what they wish for IMHO. With cricket memberships probably at now no more than 180000 across the country, the game needs grounds to be full and spending money.

Out of interest ... are there any figures for total memberships across the 18 counties?
The main reason for membership falling is lack of summer & weekend cricket
[-] The following 2 users Like narsty simon's post:
Mad Brummie, Paul
Because of where I live, I've been a member of both Hampshire and Somerset for some years now. I've decided not to renew the Hampshire membership next year because there just isn't enough of the cricket I want to see played and when it is played you need an overcoat to keep warm. Exactly to your point, Simon, I will be contributing to the declining membership figures next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
Mad Brummie
Until a few years ago memberships were great value... you could get reduced price international tickets and add a bit to include car parking... family membership was very good too. I just wondred if membership numbers for the counties are published anymore....