Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Day/Night
(19-08-2017, 01:02 PM)stingray Wrote:
(19-08-2017, 12:19 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Understand Paul..... but it keeps cricket going.... for many its a  big day out with their mates. A quarter of a million on beer sales plus food plus gate receipts etc. etc. Qute a profitable match against the west indies.... and some grounds cant make money out of any test cricket. Edgbaston has done an excellent job... well done!

Overall I'm sure it does keep cricket going but I also know a few cricket fans who stopped going years ago when it became ok to chant incessantly, spill beer over people and generally behave in a way that you wouldn't condone in the street, and I'm told would not be tolerated at football grounds. I've sat in front of groups of men who have turned from reasonable 'neighbours' at tests and after a few drinks have become intolerable and completely unaware of the impact of their behaviour.  I actually wouldn't go to the tests if I had to sit in the EH stand. And I think it's sad but since a lot of people seem to think drinking to excess is ok, I'll grumble quietly in the corner!
Sadly, men's cricket now is all about profiteering unfortunately @all costs, this includes chavs who don't understand the game or its morals, however if Warwickshire make money out of them, good for the club, fortunately as I love county cricket I don't encounter that problem as that only attracts real cricket fans, we may be few & far between but quality is always better than quantity, sadly the powerd that be don't agree ps behaviour @ladies cricket is impeccable
Having spent Thursday and am there today, I think the atmosphere is great....

The game doesnt need a few cricket fans who stopped going.... it needs loads who buy tickets and spend money. For those who dont like that sort of thing there is club cricket or the fourth day of a championship match. The money generated over these three days is extremly important.... without the atmosphere and chanting, sky wouldnt be interested and Test cricket would die and the championship would fade away.

Cricket needs money..... needs profits. The big occasion with money pouring in....

Test cricket has always changed.... covered pitches... limiting bouncers.... change is good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
rednalbear
I was very sceptical but have to agree Warley! Three excellent evenings here, I arrived late the first day, we left early the 2nd day to watch the Blues in the pub (terrible!!!) and today I've never laughed so much at a cricket ground in my life, safe distance from the Hollies but a great vantage point in the temporary stand to see all the shenanigans this afternoon, now over in the West Stand to get out of the wind. The ground and city from up here are a picture! Just wish it was a little warmer this could work long term...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mad Brummie's post:
Warleybear
Excellent MB.... Im not saying every TM...use it sparingly..... but it was good we werent off every so often for bad light. I thought the pink ball was good.... the result would have been the same as a red one.

Ive enjoyed all my visits to Edgbaston for all forms of cricket this year so far..... well done to everyone at Edgbaston..... and well done England.
Don't misunderstand, I'm all for floodit, pink ball cricket & chanting, I've done plenty of that - but the game doesn't need chavs
It was only my second pink ball match after our championship match a few weeks ago.... two days then and two now. From my companies corporate area in the Wyatt stand.... I saw a lot of people around the ground enjoying themselves and spending money.... money that helps keep our wonderful game going.
Being devils advocate here where does cricket stand in being a role model for life. Drunken people in fancy dress and the sky team do nothing but encourage it. Yes its good to have a good time but its the only sport that actually encouraged drinking.

[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
The other option is to take away the yearly event feel.... the atmosphere, fancy dress, chants.... then you end up with crowds of 6000 and no Test Cricket....
then whats the point of the four day game. TM cricket without being an event sadly has no future....

I loved my two 'days' at the TM this year against some very poor opposition in what could have been a very sparsley attended match.

Well done to the club.

As for the pink ball and floodlights.... no problem and it didnt effect the match.... most importantly.... no "bad light stoped play". I might even be bold to say that all day test matches in the UK should be played with a pink ball and lights to help keep the game moving.
(20-08-2017, 09:50 AM)Paul Wrote: Being devils advocate here where does cricket stand in being a role model for life. Drunken people in fancy dress and the sky team do nothing but encourage it. Yes its good to have a good time but its the only sport that actually encouraged drinking.

Agree totally. From where I sat it was a bunch of narcissistic (largely) young men who have absolutely no regard for the cricket or anyone else. The stock response from the party lovers is for those of us who don't like it to sit somewhere else but are you suggesting we sit with ear plugs in as well?!! On Thursday night the chanting of one 'song' went on for nearly an hour, non stop. It's like water torture. I'll also leave this with you, if the ball hadn't been given back by the stewards and frankly I think someone should have stuck a bloody pin it it, what would have happened? Escalation of bad behaviour to something really unpleasant? It's like Broad St on a Sat night. Appalling. There's a comment in the Guardian online from someone who was at the game who walked back to Brum after and said there were loads of men using gardens and walls of houses along the Pershore Road as urinals. Disgusting.
[-] The following 2 users Like stingray's post:
Leicester Exile, Paul
Ultimately people need to know their limits, and I think it would be very difficult to do anything that stops excessive drinking at cricket without spoiling it for the majority. I went on Friday with four friends in fancy dress, first and foremost to watch the cricket of course, but also to have a bit of a laugh with my mates. We had a few drinks of course (I think you have to to try and forget the fact that you're in fancy dress!) but none of us was even close to the levels of drunk of some of those around us, and we weren't even in the Hollies. On three separate occasions in the "afternoon" session someone from the row behind fell forwards over the row of seats in front, and then for some reason couldn't seem to understand why we were getting annoyed with them! It's also worth saying that these people weren't particularly young either, probably in their 40s and in my experience it tends to be people in this age bracket who can't handle their drink as well and are most likely to cause annoyance at a cricket match. If these people were among the 50% of people attending this test who were coming to Edgbaston for the first time, I hope they don't return!
Proud to be a Bear
I hear all this year after year after year..... not just this year.... to be honest you can see why test cricket is slowly fading away... nobody has to sit in the EH stand... and if you stop going because you dont like the noise, then sadly you are part of crickets problem. A disasterous atendance of 6 to 10000 could have been what the club was looking at. .....50000 beers divided by 15000 adults isnt a lot and yes some will have drunk too much on their annual pilgrimage with their mates..... and behave disgracefully.... but that was a small number compared to the attendance..... I dont drink..... but some need to be careful what they wish for at a TM.... we should be grateful we sold 70000 tickets.
(20-08-2017, 01:07 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I hear all this year after year after year..... not just this year.... to be honest you can see why test cricket is slowly fading away... nobody has to sit in the EH stand... and if you stop going because you dont like the noise, then sadly you are part of crickets problem. A disasterous atendance of 6 to 10000 could have been what the club was looking at. .....50000 beers divided by 15000 adults isnt a lot and yes some will have drunk too much on their annual pilgrimage with their mates..... and behave disgracefully.... but that was a small number compared to the attendance..... I dont drink..... but some need to be careful what they wish for at a TM.... we should be grateful we sold 70000 tickets.

Warley, I've been clear that I don't mind fun at a test match but there is a line that has to be drawn and it's getting the stage where that line has been crossed - what do you think would have happened if the ball hadn't been given back yesterday? It was mob rule. And no I am not part of cricket's problem - I've been paying for 4 days of a test match at Edgbaston for a long time and the behaviour has got worse over the past few years. Trent Bridge manage the party stand far more tightly than Edgbaston and as a result everyone enjoys the experience. They don't seem to have an issue selling tickets.
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Paul
Its been a problem for atleast two decades... I sat in the EH stand for the WI test in the 2000s when Trescothick scored a century in each innings..... beer was flowing everywhere. Edgbaston did extemley well selling 70000 tickets for the WI match .... those who buy tm tickets for all days each year (and I attend 2 days at Edgbaston this year and Lords) will not save test cricket. TM cricket has to be a big event, complete with P1$$ heads, to survive...... not too many would attend a minor test otherwise.... we would just end up with blue ribbon series.
(20-08-2017, 01:27 PM)stingray Wrote:
(20-08-2017, 01:07 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I hear all this year after year after year..... not just this year....  to be honest you can see why test cricket is slowly fading away... nobody has to sit in the EH stand... and if you stop going because you dont like the noise, then sadly you are part of crickets problem. A disasterous atendance of 6 to 10000 could have been what the club was looking at. .....50000 beers divided by 15000 adults isnt a lot and yes some will have drunk too much on their annual pilgrimage with their mates..... and behave disgracefully.... but that was a small number compared to the attendance..... I dont drink..... but some need to be careful what they wish for at a TM.... we should be grateful we sold 70000 tickets.

Warley, I've been clear that I don't mind fun at a test match but there is a line that has to be drawn and it's getting the stage where that line has been crossed - what do you think would have happened if the ball hadn't been given back yesterday? It was mob rule. And no I am not part of cricket's problem - I've been paying for 4 days of a test match at  Edgbaston for a long time and the behaviour has got worse over the past few years. Trent Bridge manage the party stand far more tightly than Edgbaston and as a result everyone enjoys the experience.  They don't seem to have an issue selling tickets.
Get used to it or don't go, it will be the same on T20 finals day, full house-most of whom will be non cricket fans & drunken chavs
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Paul
(20-08-2017, 01:47 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Its been a problem for atleast two decades... I sat in the EH stand for the WI test in the 2000s when Trescothick scored a century in each innings..... beer was flowing everywhere. Edgbaston did extemley well selling 70000 tickets for the WI match .... those who buy tm tickets for all days each year (and I attend 2 days at Edgbaston this year and Lords) will not save test cricket. TM cricket has to be a big event, complete with P1$$ heads, to survive...... not too many would attend a minor test otherwise.... we would just end up with blue ribbon series.

In football you are not allowed to drink in the stands. I don't know about Rugby but you are not allowed to bring drinks at the Open championship yet it hasn't stopped people from going. Unless you are saying that the only reason people go is so they can get totally pissed and that is the only way test cricket can survive. My answer to that if its stopping real cricket lovers like Marina from going  then something should be done about it and  maybe more cricket fans will go instead of the piss heads. Of course Eb I'm not talking about you or your friends.

(20-08-2017, 04:55 PM)Paul Wrote:
(20-08-2017, 01:47 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Its been a problem for atleast two decades... I sat in the EH stand for the WI test in the 2000s when Trescothick scored a century in each innings..... beer was flowing everywhere. Edgbaston did extemley well selling 70000 tickets for the WI match .... those who buy tm tickets for all days each year (and I attend 2 days at Edgbaston this year and Lords) will not save test cricket. TM cricket has to be a big event, complete with P1$$ heads, to survive...... not too many would attend a minor test otherwise.... we would just end up with blue ribbon series.

In football you are not allowed to drink in the stands. I don't know about Rugby but you are not allowed to bring drinks at the Open championship yet it hasn't stopped people from going. Unless you are saying that the only reason people go is so they can get totally pissed and that is the only way test cricket can survive. My answer to that if its stopping real cricket lovers like Marina from going  then something should be done about it and  maybe more cricket fans will go instead of the piss heads. Of course Eb I'm not talking about you or your friends.

Rugby allows drinking in view of the pitch - part of the culture really. In 3 seasons at Wasps at the Ricoh I've never seen any problems.

The problem with international cricket and domestic T20 is that those who want to just sit and watch quietly are being marginalised in exactly the same way as county members are for 4 day cricket.

As long ago as 1989 we decided that there was no longer anywhere we could do this at Edgbaston without becoming members - so we happily joined and sat up in the old Deakins stand until 2009 when we called time on the whole thing.

I don't think it's right that anyone who actually wants to go and watch the game - as opposed to have a party  - effectively has the choice of 1 alcohol free stand side-on to the wicket to choose from. We either sit there - regardless of where the wicket is - or in the members now for T20 Blast as the whole experience in the rest of the ground has become such a noisy, booze-fuelled ordeal.

BTW This week's Cricket Writers on TV for those who have Sky is worth a look. Some interesting thoughts on day/night test cricket from all the contributors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Paul
The original reason for the importing of alcohol ban was so the club could monitor the sale and consumption of alcohol to make sure unruly unacceptable drunken behavior did not happen!
Having fun is one thing. However, it should never be at the inconvenience and upsetting of others - anywhere. If cricket can only survive by allowing drunken unruly behavior to thrive then quite simply cricket is not worth saving.

Surely the principal reason for attending a cricket match is to watch cricket. The main reason for attending a theatre is to watch a play. If half the audience were rowdy boozed up chavs I think everyone would be outraged. WB please tell me what the difference is because I fail to see any
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Paul
The Elephant in the room LE is that you could not sell anywhere near 70000 tickets to people who just wanted to watch cricket.

In our corperate box there were around fifteen people..... around three were interested in Test Match cricket.... the rest saw it as an 'event'...
The difference though is your 12 who saw it as an event did not impose their behavior on others. It is the allowing of some to do just what they like without consideration for others that is the problem. The same took place in football when there was mindless violence and obscene singing virtually every week. Most of that has been eliminated without any fall off regards numbers.

Just because for the moment more tickets are sold does not make it right.

You continually talk of doom and gloom with regards test match and CC cricket. Both have survived for over 100 years despite doom merchants predicting the end many times. I can remember it being said in the 60s. As for T20 I doubt that will last more than another 10 years before they have to come up with something else to keep the attendance up.

You state test matches needs the Pi$$-heads to survive. I presume they all sat in the EH stand. Well, my answer to that is the rest of the ground looked pretty full to me and if the idiots were not in the EH stand other, sensible, people would have taken their place.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
Paul
Just to add my thoughts, I attended the first day with the old man. We went because it was a test match and it was keenly priced. £27 a ticket is a great price and hopefully that alone encouraged more people to attend!

We sat in the Scrivens Stand, it has more leg room (important for me at 6"5) and a decent view of the wicket. Around us there was plenty of drinking however in the main most of those partaking could clearly handle their drink. They were there to watch the match and have a good day out. A few in the row in front of us were starting to get irritating by around 8pm but in the main it was all good natured.

I know the Hollies stand is the 'Party Stand' thats why I didn't book tickets there. If they want to mess about then that's for them. To be honest I thought for most of the day it was reasonably well behaved. However by the third session they really started to get annoying, the long chant drone was what did it for me. We left at around 9pm as the game began to meander.

We were fortunate that the weather was kind, had it been a normal start time the match would have been delayed. It also stayed pretty warm after the sun went in. Like it has been said elsewhere, if we could be guaranteed hot sunny summer days then I can see the value of Day/Night matches, however we can't. As such I hope they don't become too familiar and are just dropped in from time to time in order to help players acclimatise to the pink ball.