Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Day/Night
Well I was at the game today. Very good crowd, West Indies completely outclassed and lovely weather to start the first day/night test. I left before 9 as frankly couldn't stand any more of the moronic non stop repetitive chanting coming from a sizeable section of the crowd in the 'party stand'. It struck me that by the start many of them would already have been drinking for quite a long time and therefore behaviour might become more of a problem with later starts? I enjoy watching (from a distance) Mr Blobby being chased by Gandolph as much as the next person but for crying out loud change the record with the chanting and give it a rest! There was a 'character' dressed in yellow who seemed to be trying (not very successfully) to conduct the crowd - is he the new Barmy Army replacement for that idiot who looked like Jimmy Saville as I haven't seen him for a long time.
Yes.... there too. Excellent... the chanting and atmosphere was great.... over 20000 people watching a totally one sided match and mostly enjoying themselves. Hats off to the authorities and Edgbaston for giving this a go. An attendance of near 70000 for the first three days.....

Im back again tomorrow night.... looking forward to it. Inovation will keep test cricket alive.... rejoice!
(17-08-2017, 10:45 PM)stingray Wrote: Well I was at the game today. Very good crowd, West Indies completely outclassed and lovely weather to start the first day/night test. I left before 9 as frankly couldn't stand any more of the moronic non stop repetitive chanting coming from a sizeable section of the crowd in the 'party stand'. It struck me that by the start many of them would already have been drinking for quite a long time and therefore behaviour might become more of a problem with later starts? I enjoy watching (from a distance) Mr Blobby being chased by Gandolph as much as the next person but for crying out loud change the record with the chanting and give it a rest! There was a 'character' dressed in yellow who seemed to be trying (not very successfully) to conduct the crowd - is he the new Barmy Army replacement for that idiot who looked like Jimmy Saville as I haven't seen him for a long time.

That moronic "don't take me 'ome" chant has become ubiquitous at a lot of sporting events. I think it originated amongst Welsh supporters at last years Euros. I share your pain.

By all accounts my niece, having done well in her 'A' level results earlier in the day, thoroughly enjoyed the experience - but she was sat with her mom in the family stand.

Edgbaston looked pretty cool on TV - I'm looking forward to returning there myself in September. I think D/N test cricket has a future just not sure whether the novelty value will work here again. So long as it's not inflicted on the County Championship again I'm quite happy for it to continue.
This evening's forecast (cold and rainy) looks like it could make the case against day/night Tests in the UK - I hope I am wrong.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
I believe the day/night tests will go the same way as day/night one day domestic cricket. Given the UK evening temperature most summer evenings attendance will be no better than daytime matches. Perhaps the answer is an earlier finish of around 8pm - it will attract people who have to work and the finish will be before the temp really drops.
LE - aka John
We'll have to wait and see how windies bat but that's probably about the weakest bowling attack ever in test cricket. Holding and Roberts must be in despair. Crowds are good though so you cant knock it, pity the cricket isn't more competitive. If it was England v Australia it would be amazing!

But Paul it s being viewed from a novelty factor point. Remember the first evening game at Edgbaston in 40 over cricket. Virtually a sell out because of the novelty and a really hot evening - never been repeated.
LE - aka John
If used sparingly, day night cricket does have a part to play. Personally I think that those trying to save Test match cricket should be applauded.... if this hadnt been tried, ticket sales may have been nearer 30000 than 70000....
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
narsty simon
I am not saying it should not have been tried - just don't read too much in to the success as once the novelty factor wears off coupled with a test match on cold evenings attendance will probably drop to "normal" numbers.
LE - aka John
(18-08-2017, 04:45 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: But Paul it s being viewed from a novelty factor point. Remember the first evening game at Edgbaston in 40 over cricket. Virtually a sell out because of the novelty and a really hot evening - never been repeated.

Yes yet to be convinced that it will work long time anyway.

The worrying bit is "normal numbers".... so much has been invested into test match grounds that empty plastic seat syndrome would be a killer.

As I say.... not to often..... but keep ticket prices down. £28 was excellent.
Another statistic: 50000 pints of beer sold on day one. Bar man quoted people more pissed than normal T20 evening. The club must be delighted.
And if beer costs £5 a pint that equals a cool quarter million pounds. A few more day/night tests and the debt will be paid off!!!
LE - aka John
(19-08-2017, 10:00 AM)parkfield bear Wrote: Another statistic: 50000 pints of beer sold on day one. Bar man quoted people more pissed than normal T20 evening. The club must be delighted.

Yes we could hear the 'pissed'. A lot unfortunately. Don't seem to spend a lot of time watching cricket.
Its kind of bad though isn't it. We know the effects of over drinking. Alcohol is causing great stresses on the NHS and stopping them from treating genuine cases. I just think its bad that 50,000 pints were sold in one day at a test

Understand Paul..... but it keeps cricket going.... for many its a big day out with their mates. A quarter of a million on beer sales plus food plus gate receipts etc. etc. Qute a profitable match against the west indies.... and some grounds cant make money out of any test cricket. Edgbaston has done an excellent job... well done!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
narsty simon
(19-08-2017, 12:19 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Understand Paul..... but it keeps cricket going.... for many its a big day out with their mates. A quarter of a million on beer sales plus food plus gate receipts etc. etc. Qute a profitable match against the west indies.... and some grounds cant make money out of any test cricket. Edgbaston has done an excellent job... well done!

Overall I'm sure it does keep cricket going but I also know a few cricket fans who stopped going years ago when it became ok to chant incessantly, spill beer over people and generally behave in a way that you wouldn't condone in the street, and I'm told would not be tolerated at football grounds. I've sat in front of groups of men who have turned from reasonable 'neighbours' at tests and after a few drinks have become intolerable and completely unaware of the impact of their behaviour. I actually wouldn't go to the tests if I had to sit in the EH stand. And I think it's sad but since a lot of people seem to think drinking to excess is ok, I'll grumble quietly in the corner!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Paul
(19-08-2017, 12:19 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Understand Paul..... but it keeps cricket going.... for many its a  big day out with their mates. A quarter of a million on beer sales plus food plus gate receipts etc. etc. Qute a profitable match against the west indies.... and some grounds cant make money out of any test cricket. Edgbaston has done an excellent job... well done!

Andf there's the problem WB. We accept excess drinking in the name of it benefits the game. That logic says the club should also be selling ilegal drugs where the profits would be even higher!!

It appears to be a UK problem - everyone must drink to excess
LE - aka John
A bit like Macdonalds making billions from selling unhealthy fast food. I rather we sold 50,000 bottles of water. recyclable bottles that is

I have no problem with people enjoying a drink, I do so myself, what I don't get is people paying to watch a sporting event & then getting bladdered, paying excessive prices &missing what they had planned on seeing, if you're planning a boozy night, go to the pub, thus saving money
[-] The following 2 users Like narsty simon's post:
Leicester Exile, Paul