Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesex v Warwickshire
(07-08-2017, 06:00 PM)Warleybear Wrote: 201... we should have declared with rain around.... a draw is no good.

We have got 2 days to finish it - I don't think the forecast is THAT bad !
Hmmm hope you are right.... But.... Shocking forecast... weather warnings issued for the London area.... Tomorrow some dry periods.... Wednesday no chance.... Basically no play after tea tomorrow.

I would be more agressive if I was captain... a draw is no good.

Source: BBC weather
Whilst Ian Bell would hardly stand out as someone who appears to be a leader, the fact is that he has captained other sides before, maybe not at this level but a few people on here seem to think that this is his first 'Go' at being a leader. He was captain of various touring sides before he was a regular Warwickshire player and in the times before he became full time captain last year, he looked at home in the position. I think both the captaincy and his batting have affected each other and he cannot now separate the two.
I think Bell will take us into Division 2.... he should have thrown the gauntlet down 40 mins before COP given the forecast.

This season he has failed... sadly he has to go.
Weather for both tomorrow and Wednesday looks awful. Typical, it ****** down on us against Somerset when a win looked the most obvious result and now we have fought back in this, it looks like we are on the wrong end of the elements again, both games against sides who are near us. That just makes it worse.
We have a few hours tomorrow... but personally I would have declared and gone for it this evening..... we are going to have to be totally agressive and take risks to get us out of this. At some point around 5pm it became little more tha a vanity recovery possibly undoing all the hard work. Hopefully the forecast is wrong.... but we dont have that sort of luxury.... a draw is useless.
(07-08-2017, 06:24 PM)Warleybear Wrote: I think Bell will take us into Division 2.... he should have thrown the gauntlet down 40 mins before COP given the forecast.

This season he has failed... sadly he has to go.

But one thing is certain - we cannot afford to lose because that would definitely end our CC season. Hopefully the rain will come in the form of showers which affects batsmen's concentration and aid bowlers with rest periods.

Think POSITIVE
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Harborne Bear, Pete60
Sorry LE... I dont believe we have the luxury of drawing.... how many points are we behind safety ... 50?

Hawks and doves? Pay at the gate v Members? ;-)

Bell has to go as captain is the view from the back of the EH stand whilst the members keep the rose tinted glasses on and remember Bell as a young man cutting a loose ball to the boundary. I said it towards the end of dougie brown as a player and Ill say it now.... his time is sadly coming. Ironically Dougie was sadly found out against Middlesex at Edgbaston.
The rain tomorrow will be patchy so there will still be a decent amount of play tomorrow, and I think there will be a result. I hope that we can go on to win the T20 this season with Bell as captain, after a return to form for him.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
Leicester Exile
Yes EB.... all that would be good.
It was noticeable in the winter that Ian Bell looked at ease in the BBL and seemed to score runs for fun. It could be down to poor opposition bowling, good tracks or good luck but equally I wonder if the absence of captaincy and the weight of expectations that he may feel sits on his shoulders accounts for the difference between then and now. I remain a great fan of Ian and would love to see him back to his best but I don't think there's much hope of that whilst he's captain. Short term, I'd like to see him hand it over to Jeetan Patel but longer term maybe one of the younger players could be groomed for the role.

Good to see some fighting spirit today - let's hope the gods will be kind to us and keep the rain at bay long enough for us to turn Middlesex over tomorrow.
Yellow weather warnings for London for today and tomorrow.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
The warning for today is for heavy showers but most places will probably miss these - we'll have to hope we're lucky.
Proud to be a Bear
Whatever the merits of declaring yesterday I think there is nothing to gain from batting on this morning and taking more time out of the game.
(08-08-2017, 10:02 AM)exiledinkent Wrote: Whatever the merits of declaring yesterday I think there is nothing to gain from batting on this morning and taking more time out of the game.

Agreed.  Better to spend the time building an ark.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Impressive 9th wicket stand which indicates it might be risky to declare at present. Most important to make sure we do not lose the game. What do others think would be either a good score or a good time to declare.

At least no rain at present
LE - aka John
303 the lead then. I'm assuming batting conditions must be decent if Barker and Wright are bashing it around
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Given the likelihood of rain tomorrow (and possibly today) I'd say that we've got enough runs now. Could be that the bowling quality has dropped if Middlesex think they're out of the game. Is it wrong that I'm now hoping we'll lose these last couple of wickets because I don't think we'll declare soon?
Proud to be a Bear
A couple of wickets before lunch would make things interesting...
Proud to be a Bear
A few quick wickets after lunch is also acceptable - 28/3! Apparently Gubbins is injured which is why he isn't batting, I wonder if he will bat at all?
Proud to be a Bear