Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesex v Warwickshire
We're still in the game. I don't know what the weather was like down there but we all know when the sun shines batting becomes easier at Lords and looks cloudy tomorrow so could be another tough day for batting

First comment of the season, on the occasion of first day watching the bears live this season.

To address Terry's question, it was a green top and one of those pitches where it's difficult to pick it out from the outfield. It was sunny with occasional cloud all day, generally brightening up. It seamed all the way through, though wickets fell because of the quality of the bowling and there was no irregular bounce. Middlesex clearly had very good plans, Finn plugged back of a length then got wickets every time he pitched up, Murtagh never strayed from off stump to just outside on a length. For us, Woakes strutted around a lot like the England played he deserved to, was initially sharp but tired quickly and got a bit full later on where he was picked off. Sidebottom was distinctly brisk and alarmed Comprom first ball which he nearly chopped on. He looked like the sort of player who could blast the tail away, this might well have happened though in a negative moment I had packed up for the evening by then.

Since Trott and Bell came back to Warwicks full time I've wondered what roles they would play back in the side. I'd come to the conclusion they hadn't quite worked this out, though with only scorecard evidence. On today's showing I think indecision might actually be the case. Trott was probably got out by a good spell by Finn, though there were a lot of crazy swishes outside off stump before then. I was never sure what Bell was doing and one manic top edged pull into the outfield led you to believe he isn't used to leading by example and providing the gold standard for the likes of Matt Lamb. It must have affected the mental states of the openers as well. Patel's leadership in the field looks more inspiring.

Interested to hear the thoughts of anyone else in the ground today.
[-] The following 2 users Like Tayls79's post:
Paul, Warleybear
Current championship batting averages

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-cha...tournament
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Extremely concerning that Bell is contributing absolutely nothing with the bat currently in any format
Paul fondled my onion bags.
3 quick wickets just when we were starting to look in control...
Proud to be a Bear
We're going to lose this.
It is incredibly worrying that Bell is in such poor form but is first choice on the team sheet. It can't be a coincidence that the match we almost won was when Ian was injured. Perhaps he needs some time away in the seconds getting some form back? I doubt that will happen though. Thankfully we still have Barker to come in, our third highest scorer on average this season!
He had a poor season last year so its not like you can say form is temporary class is permanent any longer with Bell.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
Tayls79
As is so often the case, I find myself finding a comparison with Michael Bay's critically acclaimed, all-action flick "The Island" when thinking about Ian Bell's post Test career.

The mad scientist discovers his replica human beings, created to donate live tissue implants for actual human beings, die if they don't have a sense of purpose or something to aspire to.

We all know Bell's mission statement was to take the captaincy and pay back the club with a load or runs in this sunset period. It's well intentioned and honourable, just not that compelling as a personal raison d'etre in my view. The fact he's never been a leader makes it look worse. Why would he suddenly morph into this example of captaincy? And what's in it for him in two years time?

You could point to Trott, Sangakarra or even Graham Gooch as examples that buck the trend, but I'd say all of these had monsterous appetite for runs and less of a desire to tick-off late career captaincy goals.
I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever score a 1st class century again, 24 games now
(07-08-2017, 02:56 PM)Tayls79 Wrote: As is so often the case, I find myself finding a comparison with Michael Bay's critically acclaimed, all-action flick "The Island" when thinking about Ian Bell's post Test career.

The mad scientist discovers his replica human beings, created to donate live tissue implants for actual human beings, die if they don't have a sense of purpose or something to aspire to.

We all know Bell's mission statement was to take the captaincy and pay back the club with a load or runs in this sunset period. It's well intentioned and honourable, just not that compelling as a personal raison d'etre in my view. The fact he's never been a leader makes it look worse. Why would he suddenly morph into this example of captaincy? And what's in it for him in two years time?

You could point to Trott, Sangakarra or even Graham Gooch as examples that buck the trend, but I'd say all of these had monsterous appetite for runs and less of a desire to tick-off late career captaincy goals.

yes the only thing I would say about that is with England current middle order problems the door wasn't closed for Bell.

I agree that his double motivation was wanting to get his England place back - he said as much several times - and wanting to achieve a long-held ambition to captain the Bears.
I have thought for a while that it wasn't just Trotty who was burnt out by the mental and emotional pressures of his England career. With help, he dealt with his situation and has come back strongly.  I suspect that Ian is still a bit in denial.
Of course, I may be wrong and he may finish the season full of runs. Let's hope so.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Terry, Paul,

You're right - he was looking in decent nick immediately after he first got dropped. IIRC a selector came to see him and he was out cheaply playing a loose waft. As you say, he might come back, and we might be wrong, but he looked like someone without a role yesterday.
What has been a real positive is that the Bears have tried to battle back... and the newer lads seem up for a fight.

Not sure how long Bell can go on for...
Bloody hell Warley, Woakes out a minute after you posted that!

Never tempt the mockers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lilly's post:
Warleybear
I was refering to the general state of the game.... no specifics.. honest ;-)
You've been fleeced

What do people think will be a winning score on this pitch?
Proud to be a Bear
(07-08-2017, 05:22 PM)Exiled Bear Wrote: What do people think will be a winning score on this pitch?

If we can set them over 300, I think that could do it.  Woakesy, Jeets and Sidebottom looked in fine fettle in their First Innings and if they can reproduce that, together with KB and Wrighty getting a better line, I would be optimistic.
201... we should have declared with rain around.... a draw is no good.