Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Yorkshire Vikings
Embarrassing. Predictable.
Cue the quote "the players are working hard to put things right".
Decent from Thomason, Barker at the bowlers. The "batsmen" need to take a hard look at themselves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes philly's post:
exiledinkent
I believe it was Albert Einstein who suggested it was idiocy to expect changed results from repeated actions.

Perhaps it is now time to start changing the personal and tactics used?

Or are people here happy to see the mediocrity of some of the older players continue to be rewarded?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
It seems pretty clear to me that if we are to get overseas players in for this competition apart from Jeetan, can we please get a couple of openers or someone up front who isn't afraid to 'Give it some' from the word go. It isn't just that this is the problem but it seems to me that allrounders down the order don't seem to have that big an impact especially if their bowling isn't exactly impactful.
That Albert Einstein was just typical of all the other moaners he used to sit with in the Hollies Stand
PS I agree. A dreadful result
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
LOL :-)

I can moan as much as I like at the back of the EH stand with my chips given these sort of perfomances .... and its all relative... a $h1t€ performance is a $h1t€ performance .... and there have be toooooooo many of them :-(

I am so folked off.... dreadful..... It didnt even rain in Yorkshire....

Im afraid there is nothing to add to what has been said in the above posts.
Abysmal. Last chance saloon on Sunday. So disappointing after a good start to the competition!
Proud to be a Bear
Two positives from tonight were the performances of Keith Barker in his first T20 game for several seasons, and from Aron Thomason, who is now starting to convert his talent into positive contributions to the team.

For performances to improve, changes are needed, it is not acceptable to continue rewarding the mediocrity of some of the experienced players.

There were four non-British players in the team tonight, apart from Jeetan, did they really add anything to the side, or provide value for their high salaries?
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
"It's all relative".
Yes, Warley. That was Einstein's slogan. When everyone else was chanting "Warwickshire la la la" he would try to get a rival chant going of
"Relative, la la la"
It never really caught on.
[-] The following 2 users Like Terry's post:
Exiled Bear, Warleybear
Haven't really posted much on these pitiful T20 performances.

But I'm certainly not looking forward to going on Sunday. It certainly looks like a score 150 is about our limit whether batting first or second. Anything more required and we're not really in the game.

I suppose the continuing failure of CDG to make a meaningful contribution also shows that clubs should always be wary of recommendations from their own players when it comes to recruitment. As we say in the private investment community - DYOR.

On a side note. Having watched a few T20s on Sky this last couple of weeks, I have to say that when you strip away the hoopla, hype and the hyperventilating commentary, the actual product on display is pretty ordinary.

Last night's game Surrey v Middlesex featured a galaxy of stars that would probably not be out of place in any forthcoming city franchise game. Plenty of funky shot playing was attempted on another used wicket. Reverse sweeps and laps, overhead laps etc but few of them came off. Very few boundaries scored outside of the PP's and the fielding of one of the sides was club standard at best. Still,  I suppose plenty of beer was drunk, merchandising sold and another full house came away feeling they'd been entertained. The previous night's game at Durham was similarly dire.

Compared to , for example, that thrilling CC game against Middlesex the other week, I am finding this season's fair distinctly average. Perhaps the amount of T20 now being played across the world is having the impact of averaging down the quality. This is certainly the impression I get from people writing on the IPL and BBL who don't have any skin in the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
narsty simon
T20 from anywhere is not really quality cricket but then again, those who count the money do not care. Unfortunately it does seem to be dumbing down the quality elsewhere. That is why I was absolutely thrilled that when Umeed scored his recent CC hundred, it took so long. Good, a bit of concentration shown in a situation when it was needed despite some 'Mouthing off' from that petulant primadonna, Jimmy Anderson. So many players seem to want to hit their way out of trouble because they are so used to doing it in T20 and if last weeks dire England performance is anything to go by, it is happening at Test level also. I watched the Games from BBL that were shown on channel 5 earlier in the year and the quality was no better than the T20 Blast from what I could see. At some stage, T20 will have had it's day. Does anyone remember the huge crowds for some Gillette Cup games and the amount of people watching JPL cricket on Sunday's. I went to the first floodlit game Warwickshire v Somerset, very big crowd, got out of the ground around midnight and it lasted a few years before boredom set in. T20 is very much a vehicle for the youngsters but they aren't going to be youngsters forever.
[-] The following 2 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
(22-07-2017, 09:01 AM)DaveC Wrote: Haven't really posted much on these pitiful T20 performances.

But I'm certainly not looking forward to going on Sunday. It certainly looks like a score 150 is about our limit whether batting first or second. Anything more required and we're not really in the game.

I suppose the continuing failure of CDG to make a meaningful contribution also shows that clubs should always be wary of recommendations from their own players when it comes to recruitment. As we say in the private investment community - DYOR.

On a side note. Having watched a few T20s on Sky this last couple of weeks, I have to say that when you strip away the hoopla, hype and the hyperventilating commentary, the actual product on display is pretty ordinary.

Last night's game Surrey v Middlesex featured a galaxy of stars that would probably not be out of place in any forthcoming city franchise game. Plenty of funky shot playing was attempted on another used wicket. Reverse sweeps and laps, overhead laps etc but few of them came off. Very few boundaries scored outside of the PP's and the fielding of one of the sides was club standard at best. Still,  I suppose plenty of beer was drunk, merchandising sold and another full house came away feeling they'd been entertained. The previous night's game at Durham was similarly dire.

Compared to , for example, that thrilling CC game against Middlesex the other week, I am finding this season's fair distinctly average. Perhaps the amount of T20 now being played across the world is having the impact of averaging down the quality. This is certainly the impression I get from people writing on the IPL and BBL who don't have any skin in the game.

and KP had a mare. I think Sam Curran is going to be one heck of a player though and his brother isn't bad. When was the last time two brothers played in the same England side. That will happen with these two.,

There's a rumour going round (well there wasn't but there could be now) that the ECB are going to follow the results of a recent naming consultation in naming the London based franchise team. And they expect K P to be the face of Cockney McCockface
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Paul
(22-07-2017, 09:22 AM)paulbear Wrote: T20 from anywhere is not really quality cricket but then again, those who count the money do not care. Unfortunately it does seem to be dumbing down the quality elsewhere. That is why I was absolutely thrilled that when Umeed scored his recent CC hundred, it took so long. Good, a bit of concentration shown in a situation when it was needed despite some 'Mouthing off' from that petulant primadonna, Jimmy Anderson. So many players seem to want to hit their way out of trouble because they are so used to doing it in T20 and if last weeks dire England performance is anything to go by, it is happening at Test level also. I watched the Games from BBL that were shown on channel 5 earlier in the year and the quality was no better than the T20 Blast from what I could see. At some stage, T20 will have had it's day. Does anyone remember the huge crowds for some Gillette Cup games and the amount of people watching JPL cricket on Sunday's. I went to the first floodlit game Warwickshire v Somerset, very big crowd, got out of the ground around midnight and it lasted a few years before boredom set in. T20 is very much a vehicle for the youngsters but they aren't going to be youngsters forever.

Be careful what you wish for .... some who dislike T20 seem to regularly say a lot about it.... if people dont like it then dont watch it or comment on it. Personally as someone who loves both the CC and T20, I believe the game is being dragged down by such negativity..... The day T20 has had its day will be a disaster for cricket..... ground zero. Test cricket attendances outside the UK have been dreadful for way before T20 and the major 50 over Lords finals are at best a third empty....

Nearly two decades of T20 and crowds and revenue have held up well despite some strange marketing and pricing at times....

As for T20 matches.... there have been some very good matches too this season..... and some very good crowds....

I was thinking the other day... how many members does warwickshire have ... 10000? So there are 180000 members across the country? How many people attend T20 who arent members and what do they spend? The tipping point was crossed some time ago.... over 65's memberships included, then memberships are now trivial in the scheme of things compared to sky money and T20 revenue.... as memberships decline then the equation gets worse...
Re the Surrey v Middlesex game, if you play a T20 on a pitch like that then that's what you'll get. Low scores and little big-hitting outside the Power Play.

Re the Durham game, like the Bears they clearly hadn't done their homework on Leicestershire. The game plan was identical to last Sunday with similar results.

As for the Bears, not for the first time this season, I despair. After a decent effort against Notts we have fallen away. I did think we might be competitive in this format but last night's effort suggests I'm wrong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Baron's post:
Warleybear
Agree RB.... the point about homework is true and again suggests problems both on and off the field.
Warleybear, on the contrary, I do not dislike T20 and go to all the home games I can and cannot actually remember the last home game I didn't go to. The thing is, if all we hear about is T20 and it is shoved down peoples throats as it seems to be with all this "We have to get the youngsters into the grounds....", then fair enough if we can breed lots of cricketers who just love the game and want to play it but what happens if people get bored with it? Where on earth do we go then, T10, T5 so that people can watch it during their lunch break. It is the whole game of cricket that has to be promoted, kids love T20 not first class cricket and when T20 has no place in their leisure time then they will totally abandon the whole game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
narsty simon
(22-07-2017, 01:03 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: Re the Surrey v Middlesex game, if you play a T20 on a pitch like that then that's what you'll get. Low scores and little big-hitting outside the Power Play.

Re the Durham game, like the Bears they clearly hadn't done their homework on Leicestershire. The game plan was identical to last Sunday with similar results.

As for the Bears, not for the first time this season, I despair. After a decent effort against Notts we have fallen away. I did think we might be competitive in this format but last night's effort suggests I'm wrong.

Was there anyone else who like me thought Leicestershire's Cosgrave going off 'injured' last week shortly into the Bears batting was a disgrace. He's done this before and it allows a fit athletic young substitute onto the field, i.e., everything he isn't.
(22-07-2017, 04:30 PM)stingray Wrote:
(22-07-2017, 01:03 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: Re the Surrey v Middlesex game, if you play a T20 on a pitch like that then that's what you'll get. Low scores and little big-hitting outside the Power Play.

Was there anyone else who like me thought Leicestershire's Cosgrave going off 'injured' last week shortly into the Bears batting was a disgrace. He's done this before and it allows a fit athletic young substitute onto the field, i.e., everything he isn't.

He did it at New Road a couple of days before our game and he did it earlier this week at Durham. Poor attitude
(22-07-2017, 05:08 PM)Malc Wrote:
(22-07-2017, 04:30 PM)stingray Wrote:

He did it at New Road a couple of days before our game and he did it earlier this week at Durham. Poor attitude

It's cheating and should be reported to the ECB.