Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v South Africa
Hmm... two tests over already and we haven't yet got a thread for this series. The times are indeed changing.

Anyway, poor showing by England and changes are needed. Jennings, Ballance and Dawson must all be under threat. The problem is that with no first class cricket being played the selectors have no form to go on. There's a long list of serial failures not least Buttler whom I really hope they don't go back to. You could do worse than Samit Patel.

What they would give for someone with the style, temperament and mannerisms of Jonathan Trott. If only Sam Hain hadn't forgotten how to play with a red ball.
And what a pity Woakes is injured
LE - aka John
Bayliss is the problem imo. Terrible appointment. We blew it in the icc trophy. He has only one way of playing and doesn't watch any county cricket so is not in touch with what is going on. Stokes made a mint from the ipl and is hyped up as the best in the world well he needs to stat showing it. Jennings has to go. Balance has to go or get moved to 5. Dawson over Rashid is really weird. I think they will pick Stoneman. Wood is nothing unless he bowls 90 mph. Woakes is a big miss because not only is he a great bowler but hes a solid no. 8. Now I think they will beef up the batting and Moeen will be shifted down to 8 so he's just gong to play even more wrecklesly and put more pressure on his bowling. Hope they don't. Stoneman for Jennings, Root up to no. 3, Balance 4, Bairstow 5

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
narsty simon
Quote:But if he doesn't have much say in selection and he doesn't have much say in coaching, it does rather beg the question: what does he do? If he's just creating a relaxed environment, he could be replaced by a couple of scented candles, a yucca plant and a CD of ambient whale noises.

George Dobell  Wink

(18-07-2017, 01:48 PM)Paul Wrote:
Quote:But if he doesn't have much say in selection and he doesn't have much say in coaching, it does rather beg the question: what does he do? If he's just creating a relaxed environment, he could be replaced by a couple of scented candles, a yucca plant and a CD of ambient whale noises.

George Dobell  Wink

GD on the money again!

I've been making this point since last winter. Seems as though Bayliss has become the invisible man as far as the test side goes. With Farbrace and Morgan effectively running the white ball operation and Cooke and Root taking the flak fro the test side what exactly is his function?

I was a bit "meh" about his initial appointment and given the sugar rush of an immediate Ashes win in summer 2015 I felt he'd had an immediate impact. Since then though it's all been a bit patchy and at the moment we seem to be going backwards with a fragile batting line-up and an ageing seam attack. Really fearing our Ashes prospects this winter.

Also isn't it fascinating how the arch advocate of T20 in all it's guises - Michael Vaughan - is now bemoaning the "lack of respect for test cricket" shown by the current batsmen.

Pot, kettle, black....?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DaveC's post:
Paul
This is a bit of a topsy turvy contest - no close matches but a close series.
And who would have thought that England's top bowler in the match so far would have been named after a Swiss chocolate.  Well done Toblerone Jones.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
Paul
Yes three one sided matches. Why is it when teams get on top in cricket the other team rarely comes back. Doesn't happen so much in other sports but in cricket one or two sessions seems to decide the match. If say the difference between both teams first innings is 50 or less its normally but close match but 100 or more it rarely is.

Modern day batsmen don't have the patience to bat for long periods, take time out of the game & battle for a draw when the win has been taken out of the equation
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Paul
You would argue though that Amla was being too defensive and that cost his wicket and du Plessis woudn't have bene out if had have played a shot. That must be the most annoying way to get out

Congratulations are due for the Brummie Boy, Ali, on getting a hat-trick today to finish of SA
LE - aka John
Is it time to make Tests four days... 400 overs with the 5th as a reserve day for weather. If any team fails to bowl the correct number of overs they are fined 6 runs per over unless the umpires believe the delay was caused by the batsmen etc. In which case the team batting looses 6 runs per over. If the game ends in a draw over four days, a game of T20 is played on the 5th day to decide the result.

Well done to Ali on that hatrick.
I can't see people wanting 4 day Tests. Any side who wins the toss and bats, will want to bat for 5 sessions minimum and have a go at the opposition before the close of the 2nd day. If on the 3rd day, the team batting second gets to a situation where they are closing in on the first innings score, that would make day 4 a dull affair with no one bothering to watch and just 3 days decent revenue. On good batting wickets, the team who bats first will just want crease occupation to make sure they cannot lose. With a 5 day game, in the past we have seen sides make over 500 in their first innings and still lose. This could not happen in 4 days. I agree with narsty simon, the techniques of batsmen have become so poor only batsmen like Cook and Elgar in this game have shown what can be achieved by crease occupation. Stokes also did it and proved it is possible to be attacking and still get your head down and 'Ride the storm'. Moeen did in v Sri Lanka in 2014 at Headingley. It is batsmen who should be looked at, not the length of Tests. Even fines in runs would not speed up over rates. If the game looks like a definite draw, I cannot see any side rushing to get overs in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
narsty simon
(31-07-2017, 05:52 PM)Warleybear Wrote: Is it time to make Tests four days... 400 overs with the 5th as a reserve day for weather. If any team fails to bowl the correct number of overs they are fined 6 runs per over unless the umpires believe the delay was caused by the batsmen etc. In which case the team batting looses 6 runs per over. If the game ends in a draw over four days, a game of T20 is played on the 5th day to decide the result.

Well done to Ali on that hatrick.

Too many rules. Scoring rates have gone up but over rates have gone down so one balances out the other really and theres not many draws so all is good really.

Hard to believe after what Bayliss said that Moeen is the leading wicket taker in the series. Maybe because of Saqlain his bowling has really improved this summer. Hes gone away from the Ian Bell advice of just bowling quick spinners, now he has more variety and not bowling so many bad balls. Although his batting will suffer again because hes been shoved down the order.  Next few years I think he could develop into a world class spinner. Jeetan Patel in his first spell with us was rubbish but he came back  a much better spinner after the age of 30

Good points Paul....