Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears vs Foxes
It had never really occurred to me that franchise cricket could be a financial failure. I had thought that a big TV deal guaranteed cash, although I was dubious about where that cash would go. Now that the ECB believes their new scheme will lose money in its first few years - and that's without factoring in the inevitable cannibalising of revenues from Test matches and the Blast - it's looking like the worst of all possible worlds. Sidelining of red ball cricket without great financial gain anyway. Just a vanity project for the ECB.

A separate thought: it's true that the attendees at CC games are mostly retired men. We are always being told that the retired are an increasing proportion of the population and have increasing disposable incomes. If you were a marketing man and you had a product that appealed to a market segment like that, would you consider yourself blessed and try to promote it, or would you trash it, reduce its supply and put it where nobody wants it. Yes it's a matter of balance but it worries me that the ECB are putting all their eggs in one, wrong basket.
[-] The following 2 users Like GrizzlyBear's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
You are all talking about attendances being the reason it will succeed or fail. The fact that many of the games will be shown live on BBC is a huge factor in its favour. In fact only t20 cricket will be shown live on bbc. They are looking at a new audience not the ones that are already going to cricket. So its not about Warwiickshire, Worcestershire etc. If it captures peoples imagination on tv then many of those people will want to go and watch it live.

If they get the top Indian and Pakistani players there's a whole new audience. There aren't that many Asians that watch county cricket or the existing t20 competition are there but theres a lot of Asians that like criket

I have to agree with Bloomy, it is about getting the balance right and I just hope the powers that be do not just try and push aside the CC because it is not a money spinner. It never has been since the advent of limited overs cricket but we still need to produce Test players and I cannot see a Test team being full of Hales, Dernbach, Roy, etc and even if attendances are on the decline in a lot of countries, I believe there will always be Test and first class cricket.
(21-07-2017, 08:26 AM)Bloomy Wrote: That sounds like a challenge paulbear! :D

I think finding the right balance between 4 day cricket and t20 is pretty much the most important challenge the game has faced.

I love four day cricket, it can be like reading a novel. Lots of little battles and stories within the overall story of each day's play, the whole match, then the season. I'd say it's my favourite form of cricket.

Despite this the only real cricket I get to attend is the Birmingham Bears. Firstly it's on at a time I can actually attend, evenings and weekends. Secondly, as I'm sure everyone else does, I have a lot of commitments, the length of a t20 match means it doesn't take up a whole day.
I've also managed to convince a number of friends from work and home who are at best casual cricket fans to give a t20 game a try. They've generally enjoyed it, apart from us but always performing that well.

I think t20 at Edgbaston works because as a format it fits in with a lot more people's lifestyle, unless you're retired or semi retired, you can't always spend one of your two days off watching Warwickshire get thumped by an innings.

Combining with that free for under 16's and I think the attendances for our home t20 matches has been pretty decent. In generally it is very accessable and inclusive if you're looking to make a start in cricket

What I don't know the answer to is how you balance these things. You can't ignore the attendances of t20 matches, a lot of money is spent, lots of kids and even adults attending for the first time, maybe sparking a lifelong interest in the game. That in itself is incredibly precious and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand due to snobbery or elitism from people who only accept the 4 day game. If no-one is turning up to watch your matches and you're following is dwindling, the money isn't coming in, then you can't sustain that. Grounds aren't free, neither are players, at the end of the day it's still a job and if you can't put food on the table then you find something else to do.

Anyway this prattling has mostly filled up my long bus journey to work so that's something.

What does everyone else think on he issue?

Despite seeing the state of cricket is unsustainable, I haven't a clue how you'd fix it.

Side note, our scoreboards are, and I fear always will be, useless.

Dom.

Dont disagree with that.....
Seem to have set a decent target again today, and are chipping away wickets from the Foxes.
At least Cosgrove cannot do his usual disappearing act as we batted first.
A very consistent spell by Keith Barker :-)
A good win! And very important given how the table now looks. 5 teams on 8 points!

1 Yorkshire 6 3 1 1 0 1 1.259 8
2 Lancashire 7 3 2 1 0 1 0.547 8
3 Leics       6 4 2 0 0 0 0.190 8
4 Derbyshire 7 4 3 0 0 0 0.169 8
5 Warks      7 4 3 0 0 0 0.130 8
6 Northants 6 3 2 0 0 1 -0.093 7
7 Notts       5 3 2 0 0 0 0.126 6
Proud to be a Bear
Wow.... that table looks tight.
Very good to see significant contributions by Aron Thomason with the ball and Alex Mellor with the bat, to go with an excellent innings by Sam (57 of 35 balls) and 8 overs 2-38 by the New Zealanders.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Leicester Exile
Yes another good win - just need to get some consistency.

Any news on Rikki
LE - aka John
The commentary mentioned about 6 weeks out, which is usual for a fractured thumb.

Keith & Aron are doing a good job in his absence though.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Good win last night.

Elliot & CDG have settled, this is helping the homegrown players I feel.

We seem to have moved the gears in the last 2 games and it was much needed.

Rather than trying to be too tactical and suppress our opponent we have set the tone.

It will not always work but if we continue like this then I feel we will be there or thereabouts after the 14 games............4 wins should see us through.