Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears vs Foxes
(18-07-2017, 08:13 PM)Fuerteventura Bear Wrote:
(18-07-2017, 09:57 AM)Terry Wrote: I'm doing my best to feel sorry for someone who lives on the island paradise of Fuertoventura.
Fair point. I'll shut up ;-)

No, please don't!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
T20 is the great leveller. An ordinary bowler can often get away with 4 overs but in the longer form they often get found out after a few good overs. You could pack a side full of superb bowlers and batsmen (Not 'Batters', Vaughan) in a T 20 but it would not necessarily mean they would win a T20 tournament. T20 does not always give class players enough time to have that big an impact .
[-] The following 3 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon, Paul
Seen all 4 games so far and my fears and reservations look about right.

Underpowered batting and a formulaic approach to the format look to be our undoing again.

Do we have it in us to produce a 180+ score? Unlikely I would have thought.

In both defeats we appeared to be playing a different game to our opponents.

I never felt the Northants game was that close even when it went to the last ball.

Having said that I've seen some pretty ordinary games elsewhere on Sky - including Kent V Glos last night.

My appetite is sated by 4 or 5 of these at Edgbaston. 7 is already too many. Can't see how a Brum franchise is going to attract bigger audiences than the ones already coming.
(18-07-2017, 10:40 PM)paulbear Wrote: T20 is the great leveller. An ordinary bowler can often get away with 4 overs but in the longer form they often get found out after a few good overs. You could pack a side full of superb bowlers and batsmen (Not 'Batters', Vaughan) in a T 20 but it would not necessarily mean they would win a T20 tournament. T20 does not always give class players enough time to have that big an impact .

It's too predictable, you know you will see crude hacks for 6 & medium paced dobbers taking wickets with bad balls, a million miles away from proper cricket, as someone once told me 'when you've seen 1 T20 game you've seen them all'
(18-07-2017, 11:40 AM)Paul Wrote:
(18-07-2017, 07:26 AM)narsty simon Wrote: Has Warleybear realised 2of the 'triumvirate' have beaten Birmingham & indeed Leicestershire are3from3despite being bottom of the mug's league more proof surely that proper cricket is more skillfull

It really proves that anybody can do well in t20. I used to like it in the beginning but its lost its novelty value. yes its brought some new shots and raised scoring rates in other formats but its also had a negative effect on test cricket. Its not played much at international level apart from world cups

Sort of proves the point that some teams cant compete in the four day game....

To be honest.... I like attending Championship matches and T20.... but there is a rump core of near hysteric hatred of the latter in some corners ....

Surely those who dont like T20 can focus on other formats..... the sooner these franchises get going the better.... T20 at edbaston needs to be totally removed / disconnected from the red ball set up..... the four day game running on its own financial model with a membership just for that format and T20 running on its own revenue and support stream with a seperate membership. Those who dont like T20 would surely be happy....

Sadly the current Bears squad arent up to much in any format at the moment bar the odd game.
The problem is that with a lack of CC cricket at weekends, the only way to see your team is to also attend T20 games and of course it does vary things a bit. The fact that they are played after work on weekdays, does help. It is definitely not my favourite form of the game but without it, I would hardly get to see any cricket at all outside of my preferred format, the CC.
(19-07-2017, 10:33 PM)Warleybear Wrote:
(18-07-2017, 07:26 AM)narsty simon Wrote: Has Warleybear realised 2of the 'triumvirate' have beaten Birmingham & indeed Leicestershire are3from3despite being bottom of the mug's league more proof surely that proper cricket is more skillfull

It really proves that anybody can do well in t20.  I used to like it in the beginning but its lost its novelty value. yes its brought some new shots and raised scoring rates in other formats but its also had a negative effect on test cricket. Its not played much at international level apart from world cups

To be honest.... I like attending Championship matches and T20.... but there is a rump core of near hysteric hatred of the latter in some corners ....

Surely those who dont like T20 can focus on other formats..... the sooner these franchises get going the better.... T20 at edbaston needs to be totally removed / disconnected from the red ball set up..... the four day game running on its own financial model with a membership just for that format and T20 running on its own revenue and support stream with a seperate membership. Those who dont like T20 would surely be happy....

Sadly the current Bears squad arent up to much in any format at the moment bar the odd game.

We all have our hatreds, yours is the 'triumvirate'
I hope the franchise thing falls flat on its face. In the longer term it will be very damaging for those that like the longer format of the game. Why is anybody going to want to play county cricket when you can earn mega bucks being a t20 only player. Its also less tiring, you wont wreck your body so why bother. There will ultimately be a reduction of games in the 4 day game or it will just be a second class competition. I hope it fails

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
paulbear
Yes the womens world cup is really good.

narsty simon
Far less cynical Paul,no prima donnas,they play the game cos they enjoy it& it shows on the field
As much as I love the championship..... Paul is correct.... there is only one future and that is T20. Sadly the 4 day game has had it..... why would the next generation want to play it when you can earn your money playing twice a week for three and a half hours. However, ironically, failure of T20 will impact on tbe finances of the four day game and hasten its demise..... sadly not looking good either way for red ball cricket.
(20-07-2017, 07:26 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(19-07-2017, 10:33 PM)Warleybear Wrote:

It really proves that anybody can do well in t20.  I used to like it in the beginning but its lost its novelty value. yes its brought some new shots and raised scoring rates in other formats but its also had a negative effect on test cricket. Its not played much at international level apart from world cups

We all have our hatreds, yours is the 'triumvirate'

I love the triumvirate.... unfortunatley they are making a mockery of the four day game. The first two decades if this Millenium has seen Leics and Derbys share the wooden spoon over 75 percent of the time..... Leics even trying to grab the wooden spoon despite Durham having a forty point disadvantage..... you couldnt make it up. Things need a shake up before it and the fan collide.... doing nothing is not an option.
I also hope that the franchise T20 fails and I really think it will. There are so many cons and not enough pro's and if I were to list all the things that could work against it, I could be making one 'Mother of a list' which could take up so much room and so much of my time. A few things that will work against it that work in favour of IPL or BBL are 1.County support will stop people like me wanting to cheer on players from other counties (Why would I want to cheer on players who I would usually want to fail) 2.If as we think, one of the venues is Edgbaston, why would anyone who isn't local, want to travel to a game here just because a 'Big name' might be playing. 3.If the weather is a bit 'Dodgy', this would probably put off so many people if they think there is likely to be a lot of waiting about/No result - You are more likely to risk poor weather if you are a 'supporter' of a county. 4.Isn't following one team enough, why would you bother to follow a team called 'Midland Maestros' or 'Northern Nomads' . The IPL and BBL work because both Aus and India do not have a long history of domestic team support so suddenly putting on this big feast of cricket in the evenings in a lovely hot climate like Aus where groups of people in a country where it is your number 1 sport, might be going out anyway for a few beers, well they still can have a few beers and here is a game of short cricket with loads of stars in it and you're unlikely to get 'A bit of a chill' as in the U.K. In India it is also the number 1 sport and Limited overs cricket is a more popular form than Tests so again loads of people finishing work can go out for the evening and see the same sort of stars, very cheaply and again no threat of hypothermia - What is not to like. The people in this country who cannot see this huge difference in the U.K and elsewhere are frankly living in 'Deludedhopeland' and for these few reasons, I really think it will do no better that the current 'T20 Blast'. And this is me giving you my short version of events.
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile
There is also a geographical factor, anyone living in Birmingham can drive to the home venue of at least one other county in about an hour, but very few would do so for a game not including Warwickshire.
The countries where franchise cricket has worked are geographically much larger and with very significantly greater distances between venues, mening people are more prepared to drive long distances to watch a game. In the UK we have shorter distances between a greater number of small towns & cities, unlike Australia where top level sport is, mainly played in just five, large, cities, which therefore have a much larger catchment area.

I do actually enjoy watching the 20 over form of the game, when it is just the game without the added noise & "entertainment".
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
The problem with the t20 blast is we don't have the current England players playing in it and it doesn't pay enough to attract Virat Kohli and other box office players. If it has the best players then it will succeed. It is not just about the crowds is it. its about tv audience figures globally. That's why the epl is the richest league in the world because it has the best viewing figures. The German league has better crowds by far than the epl but tv revenue pales in significance to the epl

paulbear
I am not sure though, just what sort of distances the people who will watch BBL do travel as I have no figures on this but the games in cities like Sydney, Melbourne, etc will already have a decent amount of people already living there and they will be pretty close to the ground to go and watch anyway. It would be interesting to have some idea about people in Aus who will travel to away games and find out just how many are prepared to travel - I have my doubts about graet numbers doing this and unless anyone has any figures on this matter....When I go to Edgbaston to watch a T 20 after work, it will take me about 45 minutes to get from where I work in Rubery to being parked near the ground. That is only because I want to go to support my team. I doubt that too many people will really want to travel to a game in this country unless they are really starved of any cricket where they live. Only time will tell whether or not this whole 'Franchise' business will work. If it fails I will be the first to listen to all the excuses that the so-called experts like Michael Vaughan come up with. Why he thinks he is such an expert at a format in which he was pretty hopeless at is anyone's guess.
Wait until the beer drinkers find somewhere else to go on a "lads night out" and then you will see the slow demise of T20.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
Yes, there are only so many Friday nights dressed up as a giant banana that a lad can take.
[-] The following 2 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
That sounds like a challenge paulbear! :D

I think finding the right balance between 4 day cricket and t20 is pretty much the most important challenge the game has faced.

I love four day cricket, it can be like reading a novel. Lots of little battles and stories within the overall story of each day's play, the whole match, then the season. I'd say it's my favourite form of cricket.

Despite this the only real cricket I get to attend is the Birmingham Bears. Firstly it's on at a time I can actually attend, evenings and weekends. Secondly, as I'm sure everyone else does, I have a lot of commitments, the length of a t20 match means it doesn't take up a whole day.
I've also managed to convince a number of friends from work and home who are at best casual cricket fans to give a t20 game a try. They've generally enjoyed it, apart from us but always performing that well.

I think t20 at Edgbaston works because as a format it fits in with a lot more people's lifestyle, unless you're retired or semi retired, you can't always spend one of your two days off watching Warwickshire get thumped by an innings.

Combining with that free for under 16's and I think the attendances for our home t20 matches has been pretty decent. In generally it is very accessable and inclusive if you're looking to make a start in cricket

What I don't know the answer to is how you balance these things. You can't ignore the attendances of t20 matches, a lot of money is spent, lots of kids and even adults attending for the first time, maybe sparking a lifelong interest in the game. That in itself is incredibly precious and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand due to snobbery or elitism from people who only accept the 4 day game. If no-one is turning up to watch your matches and you're following is dwindling, the money isn't coming in, then you can't sustain that. Grounds aren't free, neither are players, at the end of the day it's still a job and if you can't put food on the table then you find something else to do.

Anyway this prattling has mostly filled up my long bus journey to work so that's something.

What does everyone else think on he issue?

Despite seeing the state of cricket is unsustainable, I haven't a clue how you'd fix it.

Side note, our scoreboards are, and I fear always will be, useless.

Dom.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey
Side note, I'm not convinced by franchise cricket on in the UK if you're going to keep the county t20 tournament also. To the average fan it will make no sense and seeing as we seem to be getting decent attendances already, you have to sell it to people all over again in terms of why should they care.
The Bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey