Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Steelbacks
Can anyone explain why Josh Poysden has been constantly overlooked this year, not just in T20 but in all formats? He seemed to make some real progress last year to the extent that I seem to recall he played for the Lions over the winter, but this year he seems to have gone off the radar completely.

I know his batting isn't up to much but it seems a great shame to me and if things don't change I can't see him wanting to stick around.
I agree. He had a good run out last year and I thought he bowled well at times this season especially v Notts in the RL cup when he was bowling to some good players and then Bell spoilt it by taking him off at a time when he was winning it for us and it let them off the hook. We don't seem to embrace spin in this competition like other counties and even Javed is being overlooked.
I will be going to a couple of games but maybe the £19 per ticket is turning people away.

Why has it gone up by £4 this year?

Rip off prices are not helping.
Because the attendances are up overall over the last 4 years, they obviously thought it would be a good idea to milk it for all it's worth but it can sometimes backfire. If they had a big campaign and part of that was to tell people that the prices were the same as last year, I think that would be a boost rather than just try and keep making people dig deeper. £15 is adequate but £19 is almost like saying "We really want to make more money but a pound or two is not going to be enough so we should keep it below £20 and maybe no one will notice". I didn't realise it had gone up the price of a pint, well a 'ground price' of a pint. Talking of drinks, I do not feel happy with the bag checking to stop people bringing in 'Weapons'. I asked a 'Bag checker' or whatever we have to call them, what she was looking for I was taken aback to see 2 pensioners having their fizzy drinks cans taken off them and she didn't like my tone when I asked her if she could constitute what a "Weapon" as she put it, was. I said my belt buckle could be used as one and pointed out my finger-pricking device and insulin pen could slit someone's throat with one swipe and said, "But you sure as hell are not going to take those off me..". You know what it's like when you get one of those looks....
(15-07-2017, 10:32 AM)paulbear Wrote: If a home game with the actual team who play there can only get 9000 for 2 successive games, how many do the idiots who came up with the T20 franchise, think we are going to get for a game full of all-stars when this new 'Save all' league starts. Have people got bored with it already, and if so, it does not send out the right message for yet more of the same. Last night was a great pity but yet again, we gave wickets away as CDG tried to clear the boundary after just coming in and Bell and Porterfield gifted wickets. I think Rankin was excellent, fast and straight and Jeetan was Jeetan as usual. I don't care that Northants won it last year, they are very ordinary and we should have beaten them.

1of the triumvirate
Seen all 3 of CDG's performances now. I'm less than impressed and thought last night's dismal effort hit a new low for an overseas player at Edgbaston.

Just a thought. I know he had a good IPL - and to be fair I don't watch it at all - but I have read and heard that the overall standard is a little patchy if you ignore the hype.

Could it actually be that our own tournament is a little better than it's given credit for and that is why few overseas players seem to make much of a mark here?

Elliot looks a reasonable signing but he's more of a nudger and nurdler. We still look a bit underpowered on the batting side and now worryingly, it looks like Rikki may not play much more of a part in the proceedings.

Regarding attendance. £19 for a ticket is too high. As a comparator - Wasps have kept their cheapest ticket pegged at £16 and attendances at the Ricoh remain solid.

I also still maintain that Friday night starts in Birmingham at whatever time are a pain for people who have finished a week at work. Edgbaston is not that easily accessible via public transport despite the commendable policy of shuttle buses being laid on. Roads around the city centre are in almost permanent gridlock; the latest horror being yet more work starting on the Aston Expressway which has left all access from Erdington/Sutton closed off until September. We are in Sutton and even though we're retired with time on our hands we took a long hard breath before setting off at 5pm last night - we parked up at 6pm. I can well understand people settling for an evening on the sofa with a beer and a curry than shelling out nearly £40 for a long evening at Edgbaston.

Could it also be that attendances in this area have reached their natural level for T20? Remember, the city franchises have not been awarded yet. If Harrison and Graves see empty spaces at Edgbaston it may well be that Snowball's gamble in backing this could backfire and leave us with nothing.

Also agree on the stewarding paulBear. Absolutely ridiculous. We had cans of coke confiscated 2 years ago so now just bring in bottles of water. The whole experience of  this , the noise, music, constant movement of the crowd during play is why I would happily take a membership consisting of CC and 50 over cricket if offered. T20 is for the kids and they're welcome to it!

However we'll be back on Sunday. Hope to see a win then.
ICC have imposed the banning of alcohol and cans of drinks being brought into the ground for test matches. I believe test match grounds have imposed the same rules for large attendance games. It only came about when Pakistan supporters caused mahem throwing cans at fielders etc.

There is a need nowadays to search for weapons whenever there is a large gathering (or a potential large gathering). I used to think stewards should use discretion and ignore OAPs, young children etc. but I don't think you can take that chance anymore. Even cross channel ferries are carrying out bag searches on boarding.

Stewards do need to have a friendly attitude. Last test match I attended I had a steward sniffing my bottle of water with his nose really close to the open top. I objected most strongly at the time.

As for attendances - a rise of over 25% is very likely to put people off. To me that is just greed. In addition how well are the games promoted to the general public?
LE - aka John
£19 entrance fee,£5.50 for a pint,£9 for the hog roast and obnoxious stewards-what a farce this 20/20 has become.Roll on the relative peace and quiet of the four day matches.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pete60's post:
narsty simon, paulbear
£5.50 a pint - as Meldrew said "I do not believe it"!! That is a shocking disgrace, no wonder attendance is much lower than where it should be.
LE - aka John
(15-07-2017, 04:56 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: ICC have imposed the banning of alcohol and cans of drinks being brought into the ground for test matches. I believe test match grounds have imposed the same rules for large attendance games. It only came about when Pakistan supporters caused mahem throwing cans at fielders etc.

LE - I'm fully aware of this. I was at a number of games involving Pakistan in the early 2000s when the behaviour of their supporters was a major issue.

However the "can ban" has only started being enforced over the last couple of years. As recently as 2015 it was not an issue and we walked in on numerous occasions that yea rwith a couple of cans of soft drinks after having our bags searched.

The stewards who confiscated deadly cans of coke from the family in front of me last Friday were unable to produce any evidence, when pressed, of this restriction other than the printed note pasted to the table they were performing the searches on! A cursory search on the website shows no such information and in fact the FAQs section under Fans doesn't even load any information in either Firefox or Chrome.
ICC regs (for test matches I presume) do state no glass bottles or cans. I suppose for domestic games it is down to clubs what restrictions they actually apply
LE - aka John
(15-07-2017, 11:10 AM)Harborne Bear Wrote: Can anyone explain why Josh Poysden has been constantly overlooked this year, not just in T20 but in all formats? He seemed to make some real progress last year to the extent that I seem to recall he played for the Lions over the winter, but this year he seems to have gone off the radar completely.

I know his batting isn't up to much but it seems a great shame to me and if things don't change I can't see him wanting to stick around.

I, too, am disappointed that Josh has seen so little first-team action this year.
It would be a great shame if he had to seek his future elsewhere.
When I briefly interviewed him after the game on Friday night, Ian Bell did suggest that another spinner might be needed today:
http://deepextracover.com/2017/07/ian-be...in-defeat/
I suspect that this means Ateeq rather than Josh but we shall have to see.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/