Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears v Steelbacks
Here is a preview of tonight's match by my colleague Sean Brown:
http://deepextracover.com/2017/07/t20-bl...teelbacks/
I am hoping that my journey from Bristol will be worthwhile - a good game and the right result!
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Thanks Terry :-)
The teams
http://www.espncricinfo.com/natwest-t20-...68320.html
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
We are doing our best to mess up a good start here.

De Grandhomme has not had the best start.
Concerned that Clarke had to retire injured, I hope it's not too bad. For his sake....and ours!
De Grandhomme has been a disaster in this game, just lollipoping balls up to be smashed!
Not sure why we bothered with CDG, wasn't impressed by what I saw of him in the IPL and he has been dross thus far
Paul fondled my onion bags.
That was a game winning over, they will continue to go for it.

What a poor over
Radio commentary suggests that Clarke may have broken his thumb, subject to confirmation after an xray.

If the thumb is broken, he's likely to be out for several weeks.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
50 T20 wickets for OHD in 40 games.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
We have few runs to play with so Thomason sends down two wides. Can't do that at this level son
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Well that was unfortunate. Can't help but feel that we would've won if Rikki had been able to bowl
Proud to be a Bear
At least Lancashire and Yorkshire tied!
Proud to be a Bear
I realise I've only seen him twice but on that limited evidence CDG is one of the worst overseas players I've seen.

Does anyone think the 7pm start is too late? 6 or 6.30 might be more conducive to the family audience. I noticed they started at 6.15 at Lord's last night and had a full house.
I definitely think 7pm is too late, I thought it was crazy that on a Saturday it started that late, it could have started at any time and been more suitable for a younger audience without the late night. Most other counties appear to vary their starting times but we continue to stay at 7pm.
(14-07-2017, 11:21 PM)adickinson Wrote: I definitely think 7pm is too late, I thought it was crazy that on a Saturday it started that late, it could have started at any time and been more suitable for a younger audience without the late night. Most other counties appear to vary their starting times but we continue to stay at 7pm.

This game was on a Friday? I agree that 7pm is too late though.
Proud to be a Bear
Sorry I didn't make myself clear....last week we played on a Saturday but still started at 7pm.
(14-07-2017, 10:58 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: I realise I've only seen him twice but on that limited evidence CDG is one of the worst overseas players I've seen.

Agreed. Little contribution with the bat, disaster with the ball, comedy fielding. Cost us the game.
(14-07-2017, 10:58 PM)The Red Baron Wrote: I realise I've only seen him twice but on that limited evidence CDG is one of the worst overseas players I've seen.

Does anyone think the 7pm start is too late? 6 or 6.30 might be more conducive to the family audience. I noticed they started at 6.15 at Lord's last night and had a full house.

To be fair to the Bears management when we signed him as the second overseas player for t20 Colin was in the form of his life for New Zealand which is obviously how he won an IPL contract. His batting strike rate was mentioned as the highest in t20 and we were looking for a player to replace Laurie Evans impact towards the end of an innings. However he is clearly out of form and does not seem to bowl a good enough length or variation for effective t20 bowling. Colin did bowl poorly but Northants were going to target whoever opened the seam bowling for the Bears, with scoring boundaries and runs much easier in the power play overs than later when the white ball goes soft as we have seen in all four innings on the used pitch. The same pitch is being used for Sunday's game too.

There does seem to be a problem attracting sizeable crowds to t20 games at Edgbaston compared to other Test Match grounds even with the positive impact of free admission for under 16s with adults.  Both crowds have been in the 9000s so far but I remember that in the first few seasons of the competition we used to get 15000+ for the Worcestershire game which we no longer get anywhere near. The 19500 at Old Trafford may have been for the Roses derby match but remember it was also being televised live and Nottinghamshire regularly attract five figure crowds. Radio advertising and social media campaigns are continuously used and having Shoaib Malik as an overseas player one season did not attract local ethnic communities so not sure how the club can attract bigger crowds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanBear's post:
rednalbear
If a home game with the actual team who play there can only get 9000 for 2 successive games, how many do the idiots who came up with the T20 franchise, think we are going to get for a game full of all-stars when this new 'Save all' league starts. Have people got bored with it already, and if so, it does not send out the right message for yet more of the same. Last night was a great pity but yet again, we gave wickets away as CDG tried to clear the boundary after just coming in and Bell and Porterfield gifted wickets. I think Rankin was excellent, fast and straight and Jeetan was Jeetan as usual. I don't care that Northants won it last year, they are very ordinary and we should have beaten them.