Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapids v Bears
(09-07-2017, 08:38 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Of course, if the ball broke the wicket, or Lumb had broken the wicket with ball in hand the batsman would have been out if he had not made his ground.

My issue is with Lumb deliberately appealing when he knew he didn't have the ball in his hand and therefore the batsman could not be out.

Oh, come on, Mugabe!
Are you really suggesting that Lumb, in the excitement of the moment, with the whole match depending on it and with the possibility (for all he knew) that the ball might have hit the stumps before his hand did, shouldn't have let an appeal pass his lips?  Even the Sky commentators (all ex-players), having seen the replay in slow motion, weren't quite sure if it was out or not.
From your own experience of umpiring, I'm sure you know that players are not as au fait with the laws as they should be and when there are the added factors of the fate of the match hanging in the balance and the doubt about whether ball or hands hit the stumps first, of course the player is going to appeal.
I have to say to you, in the words of the saintly Mr McEnroe:
"You cannot be serious!"
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Good post Terry
As for the match, which didn't even manage to achieve its own thread, I agree that it shouldn't have had to go to the last ball when the Bears had been marginally on top throughout.
I hope that not playing Olly Stone was a precautionary measure rather than because he suffered any ill-effects from his bowling at Worcester.
Grant Elliott looks a good acquisition - canny pace-off with the ball and a cool head with the bat.
So far, de Grandhomme has been pretty anonymous but I guess there is time yet.

Just a final word about the Luke Fletcher incident.
I hope that Sam Hain is being given whatever support he needs.  To have delivered the blow that might have killed the bowler must be an awful feeling.  When he got out, I know that he was deceived by a slower ball; but the shot was so un-Hain like that I wonder if he suffered last-minute doubts about where/how hard to hit the ball.
I remember when a Neal Abberley shot hit Glamorgan fielder Roger Davis and Davis needed resuscitation on the pitch. I occasionally have wondered since whether this had anything to do with Neal's change from being a free-scoring young player to the defensive prodder that he became later in his career.
Sorry Terry but imo he knew but appealed anyway. Maybe it was in the heat of the moment and he regrets the appeal now but I don't believe he didn't know that he dropped the ball and it was his hands that broke the stumps not the ball.

(09-07-2017, 09:49 AM)Terry Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 08:38 AM)The Good Mugabe Wrote: Of course, if the ball broke the wicket, or Lumb had broken the wicket with ball in hand the batsman would have been out if he had not made his ground.

My issue is with Lumb deliberately appealing when he knew he didn't have the ball in his hand and therefore the batsman could not be out.

Oh, come on, Mugabe!
Are you really suggesting that Lumb, in the excitement of the moment, with the whole match depending on it and with the possibility (for all he knew) that the ball might have hit the stumps before his hand did, shouldn't have let an appeal pass his lips?  Even the Sky commentators (all ex-players), having seen the replay in slow motion, weren't quite sure if it was out or not.
From your own experience of umpiring, I'm sure you know that players are not as au fait with the laws as they should be and when there are the added factors of the fate of the match hanging in the balance and the doubt about whether ball or hands hit the stumps first, of course the player is going to appeal.
I have to say to you, in the words of the saintly Mr McEnroe:
"You cannot be serious!"

About time our (Warwickshire's) luck changed and we did boss the run chase before that last over.
If there is anyone out there in Bearland who needs a good laugh, just check out some of the comments on 'cricinfo' about Luke Fletcher's injury. They have to be seen to be believed. If anyone on here thinks they have ever been insane, then you will change your mind once you read a couple of the comments on there.
(09-07-2017, 10:10 AM)Paul Wrote: Sorry Terry but imo he knew but appealed anyway. Maybe it was in the heat of the moment and he regrets the appeal now but I don't believe he didn't know that he dropped the ball and it was his hands that broke the stumps not the ball.

What I think is being overlooked is - we saw it all in slow-motion. The whole incident took less than a second. There iis no way he would have known the ball arrived after his hands. Do any of you really think in the same circumstances a Warks cricketer would not have appealed
LE - aka John
[-] The following 1 user Likes Leicester Exile's post:
narsty simon
(09-07-2017, 11:35 AM)paulbear Wrote: If there is anyone out there in Bearland who needs a good laugh, just check out some of the comments on 'cricinfo' about Luke Fletcher's injury. They have to be seen to be believed. If anyone on here thinks they have ever been insane, then you will change your mind once you read a couple of the comments on there.

Agreed. I like the idea that if a batsman hits a fielder above waist height he is given out and games should be played with a tennis ball!!
LE - aka John
Anyway... after attending two fascinating championship match's, yesterdays game had an awful lot going on. Well done to the Bears for another win.
I liked Luke Fletcher's tweet:
"Hope the ball is recovering as well as me"
Birmingham Bears women's team with4games remaining play the1st  part of a double header@Portland Rd Sunday10.30,they are ununbeaten as they also are in the50over comp.,why not show your support &go along?
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
Paul
Womens cricket is really taking off. The Lords final of the world cup is set to be a sell-out for the first time. Well done Rachael!

Yes I saw that....

watching the highlights of the England v Aus game, there was a really good attendance.
Agree about the Eng v Aus match at Bristol - not just the crowd but I also thought the standard of play was very high.

On a separate note, Luke Fletcher is holding a press conference at Trent Bridge tomorrow to talk about his injury and recovery.
Yes although Sarah Taylor didn't make many runs in that match she did in the previous one and looks a class batsman or should it be batswoman. Also very impressed with Natalie Sciver

Sam Hain played for the MCC in the historic first game against Afghanistan at Lords today. He was the top scorer for the MCC, scoring 78.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!