Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesex at Edgbaston
Yep, but sadly I think that's curtains for us this season, especially with Somerset also winning. Hopefully we'll take the positives from this game and continue fighting, right to the end of the season. You never know, a run of two or three victories in a row would certainly change things!
Proud to be a Bear
Yep we fought hard in the sessions I watched over the last couple of matches.... but sadly, we just arent up to life in division one this season. Im drained ... and sun burnt from today..... changes are of course needed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
Paul
(06-07-2017, 04:01 PM)stingray Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 03:57 PM)braddy Wrote: Pathetic from the bears !! Relegated by the 6th of July . Hopefully changes will be made immediately to our coaching staff !!

From what I saw - the first 3 days -  they were anything but pathetic. Fought hard and some positives from the game.

Like when they lost their last 6 wickets for 54 runs ?? The likes of Higgins,Harris and Helm showed what was needed this afternoon !!
Knew it. How disappointing. Anything from the openers and we'd probably have won it, same old problems.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
We are all gutted to lose I said to the people sitting with me worse case scenario to lose by 1 wicket, with respect 'pathetic' is extremely harsh, the spirit in the field was excellent & the fight was there until the very end, special mention for Rikki who put a real shift in, defeat in that manner is hard to take & we are all hurting but everyone who was priveliged to have seen that game is a winner, once again 4day cricket proving to be the best domestic form of the game
(06-07-2017, 04:48 PM)narsty simon Wrote: We are all gutted to lose I said to the people sitting with me worse case scenario to lose by 1 wicket, with respect 'pathetic' is extremely harsh, the spirit in the field was excellent & the fight was there until the very end, special mention for Rikki who put a real shift in, defeat in that manner is hard to take & we are all hurting but everyone who was priveliged to have seen that game is a winner, once again 4day cricket proving to be the best domestic form of the game

Agree on all fronts. Trotty as acting captain.....involved in all aspects of the game, led from the front with one of his best innings, very vocal in supporting his team mates. Make him the permanent captain!
[-] The following 1 user Likes stingray's post:
Bald Reynard
(06-07-2017, 04:52 PM)stingray Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 04:48 PM)narsty simon Wrote: We are all gutted to lose I said to the people sitting with me worse case scenario to lose by 1 wicket, with respect 'pathetic' is extremely harsh, the spirit in the field was excellent & the fight was there until the very end, special mention for Rikki who put a real shift in, defeat in that manner is hard to take & we are all hurting but everyone who was priveliged to have seen that game is a winner, once again 4day cricket proving to be the best domestic form of the game

Agree on all fronts. Trotty as acting captain.....involved in all aspects of the game, led from the front with one of his best innings, very vocal in supporting his team mates. Make him the permanent captain!

Completely agree with you Stingray.  Trotty should be confirmed now as the Stand-in Skipper for Bell for the T20 (assuming he is still injured) - with a view to making him permanent Captain when the CC resumes.

I wasn't there today but I have seen Rikki Clarke busting a gut in other games too. That, though, is part of the problem. Back in the days when we used to argue about whether it was sensible to play with five seamers, Rikki was the one coming on second or third change. Now that he's a few years older it's asking a lot of him to be opening the bowling game after game. How far away from fitness are Wright and Stone?
(06-07-2017, 05:31 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:

Olly Stone told us hoping to play T20s. Chris Wright I don't know but hasn't he got another stress fracture in his back in which case I can't imagine he'll be back anytime soon.

I wasn't there today but I have seen Rikki Clarke busting a gut in other games too. That, though, is part of the problem. Back in the days when we used to argue about whether it was sensible to play with five seamers, Rikki was the one coming on second or third change. Now that he's a few years older it's asking a lot of him to be opening the bowling game after game. How far away from fitness are Wright and Stone?
Again though just like we thought yesterday, losing the last 6 very quickly gave them the sort of total that would only test them to a point. Glad I was not there, I would be kicking the **** out of the nearest seat and I would be fuming at everything on the drive home. We will probably not have a better chance to win all season and I am totally deflated.
(06-07-2017, 05:31 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote:

The problem is the batting !! Despite middlesex arriving minus their best two bowlers we have come up short again how we let chopra leave without having one decent opener in the squad is mindboggling !! Surely its time the likes of porterfield and rankin are discarded especially now we are all but relagated !!
If not bringing any new signings - bring on the youngsters. Get them established ahead of next season's campaign where immediate promotion is essential
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Paul, paulbear
No one will see a better game in any format this season
As I said earlier... Ive been to four days of the last two games. Both games have been very enjoyable. I cant fault the attitude.... but ultimatley this is now a team that cant get over the line and will be relegated. Rikki and Trott both put a tremendous amount of effort in. Trott certainly looked captain material.... but this is a side sadly past its sell by date.

So do we have a shake up now.... or keep the season old pro's for next year to work their way back out of division 2? Well there has to be a shake up now.... LE is correct... the youngsters need blooding asap..... and the comfortable world of WCCC needs a big shake up too off the field.
(06-07-2017, 07:39 PM)Warleybear Wrote: As I said earlier... Ive been to four days of the last two games. Both games have been very enjoyable. I cant fault the attitude.... but ultimatley this is now a team that cant get over the line and will be relegated. Rikki and Trott both put a tremendous amount of effort in. Trott certainly looked captain material.... but this is a side sadly past its sell by date.

So do we have a shake up now.... or keep the season old pro's for next year to work their way back out of division 2? Well there has to be a shake up now.... LE is correct... the youngsters need blooding asap..... and the comfortable world of WCCC needs a big shake up too off the field.

There were three inexperienced youngsters in the side this time. You've got to be careful not to place a dreadful burden on them. Need to keep some of the old pros. Barker, Trott, Ambrose, Clarke & Jeets didn't do so badly!!!!
It was good to see youngsters get in and we have seen Umeed and Lamb make runs in the last 2 games but again here we had a collapse and I know people are saying so many players gave it everything but we have come up short again. I would sooner we lost by 5,6,7 wickets as 1 wicket is heartbreaking. No point coming so close with all that effort to come 2nd. I said yesterday that we might regret not getting the extra 30-35 to really push them hard. I find it difficult to believe we can escape the drop. In 2010 when we did, we lost 9 but the 6 games we did win were against the 3 teams who eventually finished below us. Our position now is so much worse and just 6 games left. Yes, we should try and keep Lamb, Umeed and any others we can, in the side and face that we are going down but at least we can blood a few young players for the future and tell them they have a few games to play rather than a one-off trial and tell them they are our future players.
(06-07-2017, 07:51 PM)stingray Wrote:
(06-07-2017, 07:39 PM)Warleybear Wrote: As I said earlier... Ive been to four days of the last two games. Both games have been very enjoyable. I cant fault the attitude.... but ultimatley this is now a team that cant get over the line and will be relegated. Rikki and Trott both put a tremendous amount of effort in. Trott certainly looked captain material.... but this is a side sadly past its sell by date.

There were three inexperienced youngsters in the side this time. You've got to be careful not to place a dreadful burden on them. Need to keep some of the old pros. Barker, Trott, Ambrose, Clarke & Jeets didn't do so badly!!!!

From memory, we haven't won a championship game this season..... and we now may not..... we have to face it that we are relegated by mid July.

From what I have seen over the last two match's is that the mind is willing but the body is not.... the fight was still there but at times the team looked like a boxer who had had to many fights.

We can no longer go on eulogizing.... The time for the evolution we should have had over the last few seasons has perhaps gone..... so due to the clubs failings it is now time for revolution .... outside the 5 players you mention there are 11 players in a team - so perhaps some spaces for youngsters? 3 newbies was a step in the right direction..... what I don't want to see, is the same XI again next season that started this season..... sadly Bell as captain has come to an end. I'd give the armband to Trott if he'd take it. The cozy 'ex bears' coaching system within the club is also proving to be a liability and needs dismantling..... failure can not be rewarded.

On a more positive note.... I must say how much I have enjoyed my visits to watch the last two championship games.

I hope that perhaps our ageing team has perhaps enough in the tank for one last hoorah in the T20.
Barker is still only 30 so will be around in the future. Trott can carry on playing for a number of years if he wants. Perhaps someone can tell me why Jeetan isn't taking many wickets this season. Clarke will be 36 this year so don't know how long he has got left. Yes he batted well in this game but hasn't scored many runs this season. Ambrose? Are these guys waiting for benefits?

If we go down and that's looking very likely we maybe need to look at a few more of the academy players. We cant be starting next season with 5 or 6 of the older players still playing. Whats the future in that.

[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
Leicester Exile, The Good Mugabe
I get the feeling that next season we will still see a team with Bell, Trott, Barker, Clarke, Patel, Ambrose, Rankin, etc as I do not think the management will say to some player, "Off you go, you're out.." but obviously there has to be a blend. I think the reason why Jeetan has not taken many wickets so far this season, is simple, we have lost a lot of games by an innings so he has only had one innings to bowl in.
Yes depends on the contract situation of course.