Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middlesex at Edgbaston
If spin comes into play more later in this match, this could play into Patel's hands, particularly as they're batting last. Very important that we don't let them get much, if any, of a lead.
Proud to be a Bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes Exiled Bear's post:
narsty simon
(05-07-2017, 01:06 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: If spin comes into play more later in this match, this could play into Patel's hands, particularly as they're batting last. Very important that we don't let them get much, if any, of a lead.

What a shame we've only got one spinner in the team then ?!  Surely management could have predicted we would have a need for Singh instead of Panayi ?
(05-07-2017, 09:14 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 01:06 AM)Exiled Bear Wrote: If spin comes into play more later in this match, this could play into Patel's hands, particularly as they're batting last. Very important that we don't let them get much, if any, of a lead.

What a shame we've only got one spinner in the team then ?!  Surely management could have predicted we would have a need for Singh instead of Panayi ?

Panayi only bowled 7 overs (for 39 runs and no wickets) anyway - half to a quarter of the number of overs everyone else bowled.  And he didn't / won't get many runs batting.  A bit pointless playing him ?

Level scores on the first innings - not too bad, given Eskinazi's knock ?

Update - Porterfield out for a duck (to add to his 3 in the first innings) !  Can't see him getting many more chances - certainly in the red ball games ?
But who can he be replaced by? He hasn't performed in red ball cricket for a few years, but who else have we got?
Several options
Liam Banks, but he's going to be away with England U19 for several weeks.
Ed Pollock who has opened for Herefordshire
Alex Mellor who has opened before
Ateeq who has opened before

What is not acceptable is to continue wasting a place in the side with Porterfield.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Good Mugabe's post:
Paul
Hopefully, this is Porterfield's last game in red ball cricket. I would rather the place be used by bringing in a youngster or, as TGM said, Ateeq. Better to experiment than keep picking an established failure
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Paul, The Good Mugabe
I would definitely like to see the youngsters brought in, I would be concerned about having two inexperienced openers being thrown in at the deep end. Having said that I agree Porterfield is hardly helping by contributing and I don't know whether Javid would be the answer either, he looked (understandably) nervous when he played earlier in the season.

All of which makes me wonder what happened with Westwood and why he was allowed to retire mid way through the season? I would have been much happier with him trying to help Umeed establish himself.

Maybe we just ask Trott to open from the off as he has basically been playing the opener slot this season!

I'm looking forward to popping across after work later.
Our 'traditional' batting collapse is on - now 85 for 4 !
Another wicket just before an interval, why??
Proud to be a Bear
Great knock this by Trotty, taking into account the game situation I would suggest his best innings this season thus far
Trotty as ever to the rescue, a true captains innings.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Yep, superb. What do people think will be a total necessary to win the game? 250? 300? Or more?
Proud to be a Bear
Trotty's going to be left on his own at this rate, daft shot from Barker.
Proud to be a Bear
Maybe I'm wrong but I think we are in an ok position with them batting on the final day against Jeetan

Oh Trotty. Joining Bell in getting out on 99 this season.
Proud to be a Bear
No! :-(

Looks like we might get to bowl a few overs tonight (not a bad thing)
A wicket or two tonight would really put the pressure on them tomorrow. Would be nice to sneak up to 250 first though.

The fact that Malan is taking wickets is either encouraging or says a lot about our batting at the minute.
Proud to be a Bear
It is saying a lot about our batting! It's not even catching practice when we hit it straight to them!
Well that was an alarmingly quick collapse at the end there. We need at least a couple of wickets tonight really.
Proud to be a Bear
You get the feeling we might be 30-35 short of making them sweat a bit. They will be more confident then us but let us hope we see a few shooters like they did.