Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lancashire at Edgbaston
(29-06-2017, 12:15 PM)paulbear Wrote: I agree, no excuse to not have any cricket of any sort every other weekend giving both those at school, families and those who work, the chance to watch at some point. A few times I have heard people talk about playing a CC game after a T20 game and that it would be too much. There are probably plenty of instances over the years but back in 2014 we played Lancs at home CC, 1 day off, Notts away T20, 1 day off Northants away CC, next day same opponents but home T20, next day Worcs away T20, 1 day off then Yorks home CC. That's 15 days cricket in 18 days home and away so when those wise sages at the ECB talk about not having some fixtures starting just after other games, you know it is rubbish and they will cram in games anywhere just to suit themselves.
Last year we played a T20 game on a Friday night & started a championship game@Guildford 1 1am next day, previous championship games started on a Sunday including those before T20 had begun  so why, of all weeks, was that game starting on a Saturday?, we then played Lancashire here on a Friday night & started a 4day game @Old Trafford the following Sunday, Lancashire then returned later in the season for a championship game, why were the 2 4dsy games not reversed? , this season despite the reduction in matches the season is prolonged by a week!
The simplest solution is to bring back the consistent fixture list of the 90s. CC played Thursday,Friday,Saturday and Monday. Play T20 on a Sunday afternoon. And to hell with the players moaning they have to switch from one type of game to another mid-match. As I said earlier just remind them they are in the entertainment business.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
Mad Brummie, paulbear
What makes me laugh is that years ago they used to chastise counties for naming a player playing for England in their side for a CC game whilst the Test match was still going on (e.g Gooch, England v Sri Lanka 1988) and was due to finish early and then the player would zoom down the motorway to take part in the match. Yet, they do virtually the same thing but in reverse when they give a player half a game and then pull him out of it to join the Test team and do some training before the Test starts. Completely mad.
For me personally T20 on either a Friday eve, Saturday or Sunday.... CC starting on a Saturday when there is no T20 or on a Sunday if there has been a Sat T20 game.... throw in some late finishes (say 8.30pm) during June and July.... and some cricket on BHs. Promote promote promote.... has that big digital signage board been installed with fixture lists, state of play, ticket prices? Did people actually know there was a game going on... the ground doesnt seem to entice people in..... Why wasnt there free ticketing for this weeks experiment. Personally, the game seems to be relying on twiter feeds and hashtags.
Anyway all over now.

From my point of view I hope this is filed in "Under Review".
Championship figures after this game.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/county-cha...tournament
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
The Essex v Middlesex game was some match....
I enjoyed my two days at Edgbaston.
If I had known I was going to see a Warwickshire player set a County Championship batting record, I probably wouldn't have chosen the slowest century ever.
As for the day/night experiment, the weather meant that it probably deterred more than it attracted. Also, it was like landing in a foreign country and trying to adjust to a different time zone - the time was never what you thought it should be.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Agree Terry... I really enjoyed my time there too and didnt think I would see a record like that.... The weather didnt help and neither did the Monday start or the lack of promotion in the area.
(29-06-2017, 10:01 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The Essex v Middlesex game was some match....

And we are a little closer to staying in Div 1 as a result !
LE - aka John
(30-06-2017, 09:55 AM)Leicester Exile Wrote:
(29-06-2017, 10:01 PM)Warleybear Wrote: The Essex v Middlesex game was some match....

And we are a little closer to staying in Div 1 as a result !

Yes, a LITTLE closer - but it makes a win in next weeks game against Middlesex so crucial !
Some more views on day/night matches:
http://deepextracover.com/2017/06/the-co...kled-pink/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Thanks Terry... seems fair enough to me.

I think there was little promotion (cricket seems too reliant on hashtags these days.... no video display screens outside of the ground).... and (like they used to do once a year in the old pro 40 for a while) make it free... and make it clear it was free to entice people. The weather and Monday didnt help...

But to make it clear ... as a non member, I really enjoyed my visit to this championship match.
(30-06-2017, 11:07 AM)Terry Wrote: Some more views on day/night matches:

Terry. The ECB has to make up it's mind what it wants here.

Is it pushing this idea as a way of enthusing people to come and watch 4 day cricket or is it a simply a means of exposing current and potential test players to the format.

If it's the former then I would suggest it was fairly unsuccessful. No publicity, no marketing, apallingly no Sky coverage - and - in the case of the Ageas closing down food outlets - the usual contempt for the hard core of supporters that follow the longer format.

If it's the latter then it would surely be better - as I said previously - to stage something like England v England 'A', Possibles v Probables or North v South as a show-piece game. Put it on at one of the smaller venues as far south as possible to try and negate the extended twilight and market the b*******s out of it.

And of course....

Quote:The ECB has said that it won’t decide on whether to play another round of these day/night fixtures in 2018 until they have received feedback from player and coaches on what they thought of the innovation this week.

.... no mention of county members or supporters being consulted.
(30-06-2017, 03:44 PM)DaveC Wrote:
(30-06-2017, 11:07 AM)Terry Wrote: Some more views on day/night matches:

Terry. The ECB has to make up it's mind what it wants here.

Is it pushing this idea as a way of enthusing people to come and watch 4 day cricket or is it a simply a means of exposing current and potential test players to the format.

If it's the former then I would suggest it was fairly unsuccessful. No publicity, no marketing, apallingly no Sky coverage - and - in the case of the Ageas closing down food outlets - the usual contempt for the hard core of supporters that follow the longer format.

If it's the latter then it would surely be better - as I said previously - to stage something like England v England 'A', Possibles v Probables or North v South as a show-piece game. Put it on at one of the smaller venues as far south as possible to try and negate the extended twilight and market the b*******s out of it.

And of course....

Quote:The ECB has said that it won’t decide on whether to play another round of these day/night fixtures in 2018 until they have received feedback from player and coaches on what they thought of the innovation this week.

.... no mention of county members or supporters being consulted.

I think you've answered your own question there. The fact that the ECB only mention that they will be consulting with the players and coaches implies to me that it was for practice using the pink balls. If it attracts more people to watch then that would be an added bonus.

For what it's worth though, I think this experiment was doomed from the start due to the weather. If it had been a week earlier (when it was widely 30C, or near enough, at 8pm across England) then turnout would have been a lot better.
Proud to be a Bear
As a one off the membership is irrelevant.... trying to get new people to attend is important. Did the clubs reach out and promote this (dont get me going over digital signage and an over reliance on hashtag marketing again).

Agree about the weather.... I thought the pink ball was good and the scores around the country seemed little different to 'normal' matches.
(30-06-2017, 07:25 PM)Warleybear Wrote: As a one off the membership is irrelevant.... trying to get new people to attend is important. Did the clubs reach out and promote this (dont get me going over digital signage and an over reliance on hashtag marketing again).

Agree about the weather.... I thought the pink ball was good and the scores around the country seemed little different to 'normal' matches.

It really is in my humble opinion.