Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lancashire at Edgbaston
..... and what an outstanding knock from Umeed.....
On the commentary they're stating that Umeed's century is the slowest century ever in the history of Championship cricket (14 mins longer than the prior record).
Excellent... its a dieing art :-)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warleybear's post:
Leicester Exile
Lets hope we can now take a few quick wickets.... chilly today and slightly fewer people here.

To be honest, this is something they must do next year... it deserves the memberships support in what has been a really enjoyable game of cricket so far.

Sadly I fear that the press will gang up against this and it will be another nail in the four day games coffin.... this is an experiment that needs and deserves to work... and one that wasnt advertised too well....
The Yorkshire ceo has stated they don't want another game of this nature, a lot of whingeing amongst bears members too but I agree with you WB, there would be no play today through bad light so any way to keep the game going has to be the way forward
Umeed scoreing the slowest ever century batting for nearly 500 minutes.... Browne and Cook setting records at Chelmsford ..... so batting wasnt impossible with the pink ball under lights.

I wonder how much this game was advertised locally... does Edgbaston yet have a video board up yet advertising games... state of play.... evening ticket prices? I didnt see one. Have they replaced the old forthcoming attractions board towards Mosely? Perhaps the ECB should have invested some sky money to promote the four day game by makeing it free (remember the free sunday in the 40 over league).

As for keeping the game moving... I agree with Simon.

Regarding the game.... the Bears possibily lost the chance to win this game in the last hour or two?
(28-06-2017, 06:01 PM)narsty simon Wrote: The Yorkshire ceo has stated they don't want another game of this nature, a lot of whingeing amongst bears members too but I agree with you WB, there would be no play today through bad light so any way to keep the game going has to be the way forward

Sheesh! What is it with you?

Anyone who proffers an opposing opinion to yours is automatically derided as a whinger, disloyal or an armchair supporter.

FWIW, I've been to 2 out of the 3 days and hope to attend today. I've tried to be positive but there are obvious drawbacks - particularly with sighting the ball during daylight and the extended twilight. Some of the fielders have struggled at time to see the ball coming off the square.

Even the "whingeing" BBC commentators have pointed this out.

The weather hasn't helped but certainly the Warwickshire public have voted with their feet on this one. Crowds have dwindled since a reasonably healthy attendance on day one.

Also the ECB needs to make it's mind up whether this idea is to promote county cricket (in which case lets see some b****y promotion!) or to aid the test players in gaining experience of the format.

If the latter then perhaps a one-off first class game evey season - England v England 'A' or North v South every year would be a better idea.

I don't have a problem with floodlit cricket but in this format in this country with all the drawbacks I'm a bit meh about the whole thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like DaveC's post:
Paul, paulbear
Its great when you are in the middle of a heatwave but when weather is meh never been a fan of floodlit cricket of any form myself.

A lot of our members appear to be of an age where sitting outside after 6pm is not a very good idea. It has been cold and not much fun if the cricket is a bit on the slow side. I for one do not mind if cricket is a bit slow as long as there is a good game going on and taking shape. I do not think though that any way of changing the 4 day game will bring people in. Pity because the hours make it a good idea for anyone who finishes work around 5, to watch, when under the usual 11am starts, most of us do miss CC games during Mon-Fri. As is the case in the U.K our weather will always intervene and spoil things. I did notice the crowd getting smaller on Tuesday during the last session as it got colder.
Dark and dreary nights like they have been this week certainly will not work. As you say Paul, if it is scorching outside, people would be flocking to any outdoor entertainment they can find, but in this country such weather is sadly rare.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lilly's post:
Leicester Exile, Paul
I hope somebody at the ECB is doing a thorough analysis of crowds this year. We started with Friday starts, giving an idea of who might turn up at weekends, are now moving back to midweek games and have a day-night thrown in too. Yes, there are lots of variables, not least the weather, but it would be useful to have some facts to back up the opinions as to when first class cricket should be played.

I doubt if CC cricket will ever again be much of a money spinner but we might as well try to make the most of it. Bring on the statisticians!
I don't understand this Monday start malarkey. It's not as if there is any other cricket on at the weekends so why not play the CC across the weekends?
[-] The following 2 users Like The Red Baron's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon
Weekends are my only chance to attend. With the pressure of my job I am in late every evening
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Yes Grizzlybear, it would be interesting to get some feedback on all this and see what other counties have said about it. The problem with ECB research is that they do not always listen to the cricket watchers anyway. Last time we had one of their surveys on when cricket should be played, we had the Sunday starts for CC games and we were told it was because they wanted to give players a rest after T20 games. The only problem there was that they did it right at the start of the season - Ages before the T20 even started. The ECB didn't listen to current cricket fans either, they asked fans who USED to go and watch and those who DIDN'T watch but they hoped to encourage to. Have a guess who they listened to? Not the current cricket fans. The ECB came out with all this jargon about taking cricket away from Saturday so that youngsters would be able to play for their clubs then. Anyone who had done proper research on county members would tell you that most members are beyond the age where they are ever likely to play club cricket any more but the ECB had made up their mind and were not going to be swayed by those who actually want to watch the game.
(29-06-2017, 11:27 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: I don't understand this Monday start malarkey. It's not as if there is any other cricket on at the weekends so why not play the CC across the weekends?

The whole issue of timetabling has been a disaster for years.  If there are any days when County Cricket is played, they should be weekends.  We go whole summers, when one County or another don't play on half the weekends.  The ECB should guarantee at least one days cricket for every County, every weekend.  With CC, T20 and the 50 Over matches, it shouldn't be difficult.  A Saturday or a Sunday for Limited Overs - and when they're not being played, a County Championship game (perhaps using both Saturdays and Sundays - ie a start on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday - depending on what day you want as the final day, given that day can either be a complete loss or a fantastic finish !).  I can't believe they don't (or won't) do it !
I agree, no excuse to not have any cricket of any sort every other weekend giving both those at school, families and those who work, the chance to watch at some point. A few times I have heard people talk about playing a CC game after a T20 game and that it would be too much. There are probably plenty of instances over the years but back in 2014 we played Lancs at home CC, 1 day off, Notts away T20, 1 day off Northants away CC, next day same opponents but home T20, next day Worcs away T20, 1 day off then Yorks home CC. That's 15 days cricket in 18 days home and away so when those wise sages at the ECB talk about not having some fixtures starting just after other games, you know it is rubbish and they will cram in games anywhere just to suit themselves.
(29-06-2017, 11:43 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote:
(29-06-2017, 11:27 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: I don't understand this Monday start malarkey. It's not as if there is any other cricket on at the weekends so why not play the CC across the weekends?

The whole issue of timetabling has been a disaster for years.  If there are any days when County Cricket is played, they should be weekends.  We go whole summers, when one County or another don't play on half the weekends.  The ECB should guarantee at least one days cricket for every County, every weekend.  With CC, T20 and the 50 Over matches, it shouldn't be difficult.  A Saturday or a Sunday for Limited Overs - and when they're not being played, a County Championship game (perhaps using both Saturdays and Sundays - ie a start on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday - depending on what day you want as the final day, given that day can either be a complete loss or a fantastic finish !).  I can't believe they don't (or won't) do it !

And the same applies to Bank Holidays.  We have quite a few Bank Holidays, when some (or all, in a couple of years recently) Counties don't play cricket and we have 3/4 Bank Holiday Mondays (depending when Easter is) in the season.  It's ridiculous.  I can't believe the 'money men' also don't realise there's more money to be made from Weekend and Bank Holiday fixtures !
The suits at the ECB decide when THEY want to watch cricket then produce the statistics to prove this is what the public want. If it's not the ECB it's the players complaining they play too much cricket and seem to want time off with their families i.e. weekends and bank holidays.

Cricketers and the ECB need to realise they are in the entertainment business and should "perform" when the public are able to watch them. To me that means cricket should be played on Saturdays and Sundays at least a home fixture every other weekend. Why not a T20 on a Saturday and start a CC match on Sunday.
The day/night idea fails a lot because in UK it very often goes too cold when the sun goes down. However, CC games in June and July could easily go on until 7.30 or 8pm with floodlights on. I do believe it would work, if properly promoted both locally and nationally, to attract the 9-5 workers.
LE - aka John
[-] The following 2 users Like Leicester Exile's post:
DaveC, Paul
Anyway. All looking pretty academic now.

Mizzly, drizzly day and a poor forecast. I would suggest little prospect of much play or a result.

Re fixture scheduling. I certainly intend to write to the CEO at the end of the season highlighting my concerns.

One of my bugbears was that following the last Champions Trophy game we still had to wait another 11 days for Edgbaston to re-open for business.

Surely there could have been more of an effort to get a home CC game scheduled for last week - instead of decamping to Chelmsford.

Then at least the miserable conditions this week would have been mitigated by having had 4 days sat out in the sun!

The 6 week lock-out has been for me the most depressing aspect of this year's fixture list and something I hope will not be allowed to happen again.

It would certainly be a decent and respectful thing for the ECB and counties to consult with members in future years to incorporate some or any of the sensible suggestions on fixture scheduling that some of us have put forward. I'm not holing my breath.
I won't hold my breath waiting for a sensible look at the four day schedule. The ECB have no real interest in this competition other than as a training ground for the Test team. They will put all their eggs in the T20 basket.
The attitude to the Championship is illustrated by the fact that Westley was allowed to play one day of the current Essex game before joining the Lions, allowing Chopra to come in. That is a complete joke.