Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
England v West Indies
Excellent news that ticket sales are going very well. I hear that some more are being released.
37/3 in the second test.

Serious issues with our batting line up
Paul fondled my onion bags.
and Malan gone too. Stokes was he out or not out. Serious questions for the third umpire if the windies had of reviewed that

It's a tough time to be a selector. They say you should pick your best five batsmen but at the moment that's Cook, Root, Bairstow, Stokes and Moeen. They ain't all going to bat in the top five. Many options have been tried and they're all not coming off. I'm disappointed with Westley, whom I thought would make it. Jennings and Malan are unconvincing. Stoneman is a journeyman county pro - nothing wrong with that but it doesn't make a Test player. At the start of the year his career stats were almost identical to Ian Westwood's. There's a long list of other failures: Vince, Hales, Robson, Lyth, Buttler......

In three years time numbers two and three could easily be Hameed and Hain but they're not ready for this winter. If I were Bayliss I would want to design a pathway for them to develop asap.

This winter is a puzzle. I would bat Bairstow at five and play Mason Crane but that still leaves 2 & 3 open. Maybe crossed fingers and hope Hameed comes good with Stoneman at three to at least see a few overs off the new ball. What else have we got?
They should just ask Ashley as he certainly has an eye for players.

Congratulations to West Indies on a great win today.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Or well done to England for gifting a win by some insipid bowling. I did wonder about Root's declaration yesterday as if you can't take a wicket in the 6 overs you have got before the close, you have wasted them so why not make 30 more and have more attacking fields on day 5. If the match took the same course as today, the light would not have been good enough to get those extra runs. Surprised the umpires didn't seem to check the light - it only happens if England look like they might win, v India at Lord's 2007, v Aus Oval 2013 and in Dubai v Pak, It never seems to be the other way round. It looked too dark and on TV it always looks lighter anyway so heaven knows what it really looked like there. I am fed up with all the "Oh isn't it great to see West Indies win....". Really, I can imagine when they were walloping us 5-0 everyone over there was saying the same thing. Woakes looked under-cooked, I do hope if he plays for us on Saturday, he can be more consistent. Thought Moeen was dreadful today, seemed to have no control. Cook, 2 shocking drops though doubt he could see the second coming towards him.
What makes you think that neutral umpires are biased against England?
For the good of Test cricket and cricket in West Indies, yes, I was glad that West Indies won.
Of course England didn't bowl or field well as well as West Indies batting well. That's how surprise wins happen and that's what makes cricket such a great game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Terry's post:
narsty simon
It was a very good game and Windies deserved to win. England's bowling was underpowered (Stokes injured?) but it was excellent batting by Brathwaite and Hope that secured the win. Some of our gung-ho batsmen should be made to sit and watch a recording of those two playing like Test cricketers: leaving balls when they could safely do so; not playing big shots when they didn't need to; patiently and carefully building a big innings. It was batting from another age, great to watch and it won them the game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
narsty simon
Proper cricket
(30-08-2017, 08:34 AM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: It was a very good game and Windies deserved to win. England's bowling was underpowered (Stokes injured?) but it was excellent batting by Brathwaite and Hope that secured the win. Some of our gung-ho batsmen should be made to sit and watch a recording of those two playing like Test cricketers: leaving balls when they could safely do so; not playing big shots when they didn't need to; patiently and carefully building a big innings. It was batting from another age, great to watch and it won them the game.

I thought we bowled ok but the wicket died on the last day. All the credit goes to Bathwaite and Hopes they were magnificent. The declaration was generous and made a great game of it but maybe we took them too lightly. Strange that Chase was getting extravagant turn when he was  hardly putting any revs on the ball yet Moeen was not getting much yet occasionally got into the high 40rps. Must have been that old ball or heavy roller flattened the wicket out.

Woakes did great with the bat but may have been better served playing for us because his speeds were down quite a bit

Livingstone for England?
Woakes looked seriously short of a gallop. Not surprising as he's played only one CC match and that was 3 weeks ago. Bad decision (not the first this season) to drop Roland-Jones. Woakes should be up at Old Trafford.

The selectors have made some bad calls this season and if we do badly in Australia then that's where heads will roll.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Red Baron's post:
Warleybear
Same squad, and likely same XI for Lord's. Last chance saloon for Westley. As they have painted themselves into a corner with Woakes, he will have to play again. At least he might be sharper this time.
(30-08-2017, 11:34 AM)Terry Wrote: Livingstone for England?

Why not

(30-08-2017, 11:40 AM)The Red Baron Wrote: Woakes looked seriously short of a gallop. Not surprising as he's played only one CC match and that was 3 weeks ago. Bad decision (not the first this season) to drop Roland-Jones. Woakes should be up at Old Trafford.

The selectors have made some bad calls this season and if we do badly in Australia then that's where heads will roll.

Australia just lost to Bangladesh so we're not the only ones with problems

Terry, I didn't say that neutral umpires are biased against England but if you consider that in both the Tests v India in 2007 they were taken off for bad light with Panesar and Vaughan bowling and v Pak 2015, the same bad light law was applied with 2 spinners on and England needing 25 off 6 overs. Bad light with 2 spinners on at either end in my opinion is pathetic as I do not know of any example of a batsman being in danger with spinners bowling at both ends.
(30-08-2017, 06:36 PM)paulbear Wrote: Terry, I didn't say that neutral umpires are biased against England but if you consider that in both the Tests v India in 2007 they were taken off for bad light with Panesar and Vaughan bowling and v Pak 2015, the same bad light law was applied with 2 spinners on and England needing 25 off 6 overs. Bad light with 2 spinners on at either end in my opinion is pathetic as I do not know of any example of a batsman being in danger with spinners bowling at both ends.

Yes I think they tend not to take them off anymore, they just put the floodlights on

Yes, I think the protocol has (rightly) changed quite a bit recently and they will now stay on the field for much longer if they can, which can only be a good thing for spectators.
Proud to be a Bear
(30-08-2017, 06:36 PM)paulbear Wrote: Terry, I didn't say that neutral umpires are biased against England but if you consider that in both the Tests v India in 2007 they were taken off for bad light with Panesar and Vaughan bowling and v Pak 2015, the same bad light law was applied with 2 spinners on and England needing 25 off 6 overs. Bad light with 2 spinners on at either end in my opinion is pathetic as I do not know of any example of a batsman being in danger with spinners bowling at both ends.

I accept what you say.
England did beat Pakistan in the dark back in 2000 when, as the commentator says, "even club cricketers wouldn't play in this light" but the umpires stayed on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOjHxYIF7h4