Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Essex at Chelmsford
Yes six weeks was a long time.... I thought Portland Rd was meant to help with these type of problems....

Anyway... I think that we all know that the squad has stagnated for too long.... year by year there should be the occasional 'tweak'. That game against Hants should have been a call to end complacency....

Anyway.... any news? Probably not.....
Appointing Jeetan as captain would be wrong and look even more desperate than we seem to be already. If he proves to not have a clue what he is doing then what happens? I do wonder though, what the club and the corporate money men who appear to be running it, want for the club and what their idea of a good season is. If you ask members, it's about playing winning cricket and staying competitive in as many forms of the game as possible. I often think that making money and paying off the debt made by that monstrosity of a pavilion is what a lot of the people who pull the purse strings, want. That concrete freezer block where nobody wants to sit has got our investors into a mess where they can't think about anything other than debt managing and the way the club results are going is just secondary to them. Even though I knew a day would come when certain of our players over 30 would start to decline, I never thought they would all start to do it AT THE SAME TIME. When one or two do it, you can phase them out gradually whilst bringing younger players in but Bell, Trott, Ambrose, Clarke and Westwood look woeful at the moment and you cannot just drop them all in one go. I am going to the Lancashire game and am not looking forward to it. Perhaps if it gets too dark it'll save us having to see clearly, the trouble we are in.
But if Jeetan proves he does have a clue and appears to up the motivation that would bring a lot of cheer to you all. At least he couldn't make the situation worse.

You say you can't drop 5 players all in one go - I say why not? The replacements certainly could not be worse than those they replace.
LE - aka John
What then happens to the 5 I have mentioned. Would they gain anything from a spell in the seconds where they would no doubt be successful and if/when they returned to the first team, would they do any better. If their replacements all did better, how could we judge 'Better' seeing as 30 runs per innings per player would be better than we've had but that in itself would not bring victories. I cannot see why players need 'Motivation', playing professional sport and getting paid for it should be motivation enough and if anyone in our team doesn't think so, they should clear out their locker and **** off now. A few of them should read a few books about players of old and the pathetic money they used to earn. Some players walked miles to the ground just to save bus money and in one book I read about Jeeves, Tiger Smith or Frank Foster, one player used to take so long getting home, his wife used to pack food in his bag so he could cook his dinner in the changing rooms if Warwickshire were batting. So many of our players are so near the end of their careers that they should relish all the time they have left - once they are retired that is it and no looking back regretting the last few years and wishing they'd have gone out with a bang not a whimper.
(23-06-2017, 06:23 PM)paulbear Wrote: Appointing Jeetan as captain would be wrong and look even more desperate than we seem to be already. If he proves to not have a clue what he is doing then what happens? I do wonder though, what the club and the corporate money men who appear to be running it, want for the club and what their idea of a good season is. If you ask members, it's about playing winning cricket and staying competitive in as many forms of the game as possible. I often think that making money and paying off the debt made by that monstrosity of a pavilion is what a lot of the people who pull the purse strings, want. That concrete freezer block where nobody wants to sit has got our investors into a mess where they can't think about anything other than debt managing and the way the club results are going is just secondary to them. Even though I knew a day would come when certain of our players over 30 would start to decline, I never thought they would all start to do it AT THE SAME TIME. When one or two do it, you can phase them out gradually whilst bringing younger players in but Bell, Trott, Ambrose, Clarke and Westwood look woeful at the moment and you cannot just drop them all in one go. I am going to the Lancashire game and am not looking forward to it. Perhaps if it gets too dark it'll save us having to see clearly, the trouble we are in.

According to the BBC Jonathan Trott averages 45.82 in the CC - that is not woeful. There's a lot of unnecessary mud slinging on here without checking facts. For the record I love sitting in our 'concrete freezer block' as you call it. One of the best views in county cricket and a lot of away fans love it too - as they frequently tell me when visiting.
Our current championship stats are here

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/...tournament
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
No one on here is mud-slinging, just saying it as we see it. If 45.82 is a good enough average for someone of Trott's ability then the 20 players above him must be drinking champagne for their troubles so far this season. The new pavilion isn't called the 'Icebox' for no reason at all. It is bloody cold even during warm days and if you look across at the opposite side of the ground, you will see where most of the members now sit even when it looks like it might rain - in the open air knowing that there is still a better atmosphere at that side of the ground. The new pavilion wasn't built for a few away fans, it was built as part of corporate 'Edgbaston' which is says all over our ground.
[-] The following 2 users Like paulbear's post:
Leicester Exile, parkfield bear
Ashley has his say:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/reaction-ashley-giles/
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(23-06-2017, 10:00 PM)paulbear Wrote: No one on here is mud-slinging, just saying it as we see it. If 45.82 is a good enough average for someone of Trott's ability then the 20 players above him must be drinking champagne for their troubles so far this season. The new pavilion isn't called the 'Icebox' for no reason at all. It is bloody cold even during warm days and if you look across at the opposite side of the ground, you will see where most of the members now sit even when it looks like it might rain - in the open air knowing that there is still a better atmosphere at that side of the ground. The new pavilion wasn't built for a few away fans, it was built as part of corporate 'Edgbaston' which is says all over our ground.

In a struggling side I would say that's a pretty good average by any standards

[-] The following 1 user Likes Paul's post:
stingray
(23-06-2017, 10:21 PM)Terry Wrote: Ashley has his say:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/reaction-ashley-giles/

Good piece from Ashley and he talks sense, I don't particularly blame the players who are doing their best (which in many cases is not good enough), in my eyes the blame lies higher up and not to recruit any players in the close season was sheer lunacy which none of us could understand.

I feel particularly sorry for the experienced players who have given so much pleasure to us all over the years, they have been good servants and I really feel for them, they have been badly let down by lack of investment in the playing side of the club and the failure to bring through any young talent.

Time for us all to get behind the players for the rest of this excruciating excuse for a campaign, let's all pull together, then after it is all over comes the time for hard talking and perhaps for heads to roll.

Oh for the days when we were comfortable in our fine Test Match stadium, even with the antiquated pavilion (which had good members facilities, better than most), when we competed on the field and had never heard of Birmingham Bears or Edgbaston PLC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South Coast Bear's post:
parkfield bear
I apologise but I don't think it's a good piece, certainly not inspiring or providing any hope or confidence for the future, short term or long. It simply appears to say we know we have major problems, we saw it coming, we are all hurting, we will have to work hard because there are no other plans or solutions on the horizon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rayb's post:
DaveC, paulbear
(24-06-2017, 09:00 AM)Rayb Wrote: I apologise but I don't think it's a good piece, certainly not inspiring or providing any hope or confidence for the future, short term or long. It simply appears to say we know we have major problems, we saw it coming, we are all hurting, we will have to work hard because there are no other plans or solutions on the horizon.

Have to agree Rayb.

Another piece of corporate guff to rank alongside the stuff Snowball trotted out the other week to Terry for Deep Extra Cover.

We all know full well what the problems are but saying we're all going to have to knuckle down and try a bit harder just doesn't cut it for me. As I said in the post above - us "uneducated" members and supporters saw this car crash approaching over the last 2 years. As recently as March Ashley was saying we had the squad for the job - hence no new blood during the winter. Either his antennae were faulty or he was being fed a whole load of bull by the back-room staff.

This squad is going to go down with a whimper unless drastic action is taken now. That means an injection of loan/Kolpak players and a change of captain immediately.

I don't like the idea of half the team being replaced mid-season. But given the choice between inevitable, abject humiliation and capitulation or showing some sort of fight - I'd go for the latter.
I agree, and until we are confirmed as a relegated team then we should act to prevent it happening, forget the past and the future for the moment deal with the now. I do feel with the addition of an import ot two we still have players that can produce some positive results but something is badly WRONG the messages coming from captain and coaches are either deluded or confused. Cut out the waffle Ashley take some bloody responsibility, get your hands dirty and sort it out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rayb's post:
DaveC, paulbear
The problem when you have a squad of players who have been around so long and become part of the furniture at a club is that when they look over their shoulders, they see no one ready to take their place. When they feel like this is when complacency creeps in and certain players must feel that they are just never going to get dropped. Now is time for Giles to roll up his sleeves and get nasty and tell people that they are playing so badly that bringing in a youngster or two can hardly make things any worse. It's unfortunate that against Yorkshire, it was such a good toss to win and there was only one thing as the away side, that you would do. Against Hampshire and Essex it was also a pity that we didn't get a chance to bat first without the added pressure of batting second with a huge score to chase but what annoys me is being bowled out by ordinary sides and Essex only really used 3 bowlers and 2 of those are not that experienced. Wasn't that pleased with Ashley coming back and that is not hindsight. Some people at the club see him as 'The messiah' and even though I like the bloke, he was fortunate to have a good squad to work with, the problem now is they are exactly the same squad with a few omissions.
(24-06-2017, 09:00 AM)Rayb Wrote: I apologise but I don't think it's a good piece, certainly not inspiring or providing any hope or confidence for the future, short term or long. It simply appears to say we know we have major problems, we saw it coming, we are all hurting, we will have to work hard because there are no other plans or solutions on the horizon.

It slightly concerns me that he said he wants the older players to leave on their own terms. It shouldn't be about what they have done before. No room for sentiment.

[-] The following 2 users Like Paul's post:
paulbear, Warleybear
TBF it's a well balanced article from Ashley, you guys ranting on isn't going to change things & the comment about calling Trott woeful is tbh laughable,before Chelmsford he had scored a century in every away game from Oxford to Southampton inclusive & any batsman who averages 40+is a very good player, if the top 5 all achieved that we wouldn't be in such a mess & it would relieve the pressure on the all rounders & bowlers, forget the whingeing guys & get down to Edgbaston next week & support the guys, a2pm start gives you little excuse to attend part of the game@least
Gilo's interview is all about lifting the players out of a bad place which was where my criticism of Troughton Frost and Richardson came from. That's their job and I don't buy the argument that professional players should not need motivating/lifting - they are only human and it happens in all sports.

Anyway as Simon says (I nearly put an adjective in there) through these next two home games let's forget the whingeing and applaud every run scored and when fielding every run saved. I just wish I could be there.
LE - aka John
No one is whingeing or ranting on this page and Trott was not called 'Woeful' personally, mainly the batting as a whole unit. He has batted better than the rest but like Bell, he has played some poor shots to get out rather than been got out by good bowling. It is only because we all care about our team that we get ****** off just like any supporters in our situation. I will be going to the game v Lancs from Tuesday to Thursday and like I have been doing for 28 consecutive seasons, I will cheer everything that comes our way - That's the problem, that we have been getting behind the team but have had to witness the frustration of seeing a side who were trying to chase the title, now trying to avoid going down. The thought of having to go down to division two should be all the motivation they need.
I don't know what it is about this forum because when criticism is offered, and my god it's well deserved, that involves actually pointing a finger and naming an individual poster's are immediately accused of ranting, whinging, being disrespectful or not being supportive. I have allways found that in business and in life if something is not going well you have a choice, do something about it or do nothing about it, I see no evidence whatsoever from the coaching and management team of WCCC that we are doing anything about it. I even wonder if relegation is not already written into a five year plan (i might be excited if there was a plan) and if that is the case then we should be told, as members I think we deserve it. I desperately hope that we get a positive result next week, I feel sickened at the thought of my county being relegated, but in the absence of such a dream I look forward to another well balanced article from Ashley!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rayb's post:
paulbear
As a life long Warwickshire supporter my natural reaction is to want to back the team, encourage the players and hope for the best. What is hurting now is having to watch the club go the same way as Aston Villa, starting the season with a squad that was patently inadequate and ending up as everybody's whipping boys, to nobody's surprise. I don't doubt that the players are trying; I don't think there is anything to be gained by changing captain; we just never had a chance. It was the same with Villa, the problem being that the management didn't care about the club's results. Once that becomes obvious, any morale the players might still have evaporates quickly. Could Warwickshire CCC be suffering from the same problem?
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
Paul