Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hampshire Away
Yorkshire did Warwickshire a favour today by beating Somerset but it was a might close run things - just 3 runs.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Somerset are making a real habit of losing games after having taken a first innings lead. Indeed, only one county has taken a first innings lead against Somerset all year. And then it rained ....
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
narsty simon
Last year's champions getting sucked into the relegation dog fight, we have to play them back to back july/August
Not too unhappy about that Somerset defeat. Plenty of their fans had a dig at us on cricinfo last season about us being in need of a win in our last game against Lancs and comments like "Oh how the mighty have fallen.." but their push for the title seemed like a flash in the pan and so it has proved to be. If they are favourites to go down then at least it gives us hope when we play against those just above us. Unfortunately, I cannot see where we are going to win a game if we can't put runs on the board. It just goes to show how difficult it is to predict the winners of the CC, let's face it, who thought Essex and Hampshire (shouldn't even be in this division) would be in the top 3 at this stage.
Essex have really surprised me, thought they would both struggle to score enough runs & take 20wickets, fair play to them, must say the Somerset fans I came across both last year &this were very pleasant company & humble after their victory last season
(12-06-2017, 08:52 PM)narsty simon Wrote: Essex have really surprised me, thought they would both struggle to score enough runs & take 20wickets, fair play to them, must say the Somerset fans I came across both last year &this were very pleasant company & humble after their victory last season

I've met some really nice Somerset supporters.
Old joke adapted:
"I've met this lady farmer who supports Somerset.  She says that if I take out membership for the two of us, she'll give me one of her farm vehicles."
"A tractor?"
"Yes, I think I must do."
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
(12-06-2017, 08:39 PM)paulbear Wrote: Not too unhappy about that Somerset defeat. Plenty of their fans had a dig at us on cricinfo last season about us being in need of a win in our last game against Lancs and comments like "Oh how the mighty have fallen.." but their push for the title seemed like a flash in the pan and so it has proved to be. If they are favourites to go down then at least it gives us hope when we play against those just above us. Unfortunately, I cannot see where we are going to win a game if we can't put runs on the board. It just goes to show how difficult it is to predict the winners of the CC, let's face it, who thought Essex and Hampshire (shouldn't even be in this division) would be in the top 3 at this stage.

Agree about Somerset. For the past couple of seasons they are purposely starting 4 day Championship games on recently used pitches, in the hope that their two or three spinners will win the game for them. Without any negative coverage of this in the national media. Though this season they are hosting Women's World Cup games so will have less wickets to choose from. Also some of their fans were openly abusing Boyd Rankin at Edgbaston two or three seasons a go after his disappointing tour to Australia when he made his Test debut when unfit.