Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hampshire Away
Disgraceful performance from all but a few players.
Proud to be a Bear
Watch it throw it down now
Both sides got the result they deserved.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Shambles. Utter shambles. Sadly I do not think we have even reached our nadir as yet, more of this to come.
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Singh, Barker, Trott - pass
the rest - fail
Lara, Tendulkar ... Pilling.
Commenting from a distance - does any blame for these shambolic performances rest with Jim Troughton and/or Ian Bell?
LE - aka John
(05-06-2017, 03:06 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Commenting from a distance - does any blame for these shambolic performances rest with Jim Troughton and/or Ian Bell?

Or Tony Frost and his batting 'coaching'

After moving in to first team coaching responsibilities in 2013, Tony works with our Junior and Senior professionals to maximise their batting ability and performances.

I see a distinct lack of any ability or performances being maximised currently.
(05-06-2017, 03:12 PM)Lilly Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 03:06 PM)Leicester Exile Wrote: Commenting from a distance - does any blame for these shambolic performances rest with Jim Troughton and/or Ian Bell?

Or Tony Frost and his batting 'coaching'

After moving in to first team coaching responsibilities in 2013, Tony works with our Junior and Senior professionals to maximise their batting ability and performances.

I see a distinct lack of any ability or performances being maximised currently.
How can a journeyman keeper / batsman coach senior batsmen?
The whole thing is just too cosy,
Why would Troughton be a step up from Brown? And at which stage of his career did Bell demonstrate leadership skills?
I just feel sorry for the less experienced players trying to make their way in this shambles.
The regression of Hain has been particularly alarming.
[-] The following 2 users Like Lilly's post:
Leicester Exile, narsty simon

Jim Troughton has a great cricket brain and was the last captain to win us the championship and without star players,Bell has now gone 20 games without a century, is captaincy affecting his batting or is it the other way around?, the coaching position I would question is that of Alan Richardson, the bowling seems to have deteriorated since his arrival
I have been unable to get to see Bears for 'real' this season so far as I am laid up with leg injury. I have however followed by radio and tv where possible. Tell me, is there some kind of malaise in the dressing room? We appear to have 'lost the plot' in some games but in one or two sessions been outstanding! I can't make it out? Is it the team, coaching staff, general lack of interest? What is clear is that unless we can turn things around and quickly, we are going to play 2nd division cricket next year and if we want to get promoted, one up, one down don't forget,it's going to be one hell of a scrap,especially with our ageing team.
I was born a bear
(05-06-2017, 03:36 PM)Lilly Wrote: The regression of Hain has been particularly alarming.

Hain needs time in the middle, a month or so in the2s would benefit both the club and him long term
(05-06-2017, 03:54 PM)narsty simon Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 03:36 PM)Lilly Wrote: The regression of Hain has been particularly alarming.

Hain needs time in the middle, a month or so in the2s would benefit both the club and him long term

Hain is brilliant with the white ball and cannot cope with the red ball, he was the same last year apart from the odd innings, there is an obvious difference but surely not that much.

Why did we chose not to bring in any new recruits (apart from an injured young bowler) in the close season after losing a couple of proven players ?

We were lucky not to go down last season and when that squad was weakened we did not bring anyone new in, is there any surprise we are as dire as we are ?

Did we spend our money on the new coaching set up and while I am at what has happened with the coaching if this is the best we have ?

When we are beaten comprehensively in a dire 50 qualification (finishing bottom) by Leicestershire, Worcestershire, Northants etc we know we are in trouble.

No players are coming though the academy, I am far from convinced by the odd one they throw in (although Singh did well against Hampshire), what has happened our schools programme and young player recruitment, which was always so good ?

What has happened to our recruitment at first team level ?

Something appears drastically wrong somewhere, answers to the obvious questions we are all asking are required.

This is going to be a long hard season .......... but I have watched Warwickshire since 1960 and will not give up on them now, once a Bear always a Bear (I support Warwickshire in the T20, not Birmingham Bears), still shocked from sitting through the first three days of the Hampshire fiasco.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South Coast Bear's post:
Lilly
(05-06-2017, 04:56 PM)South Coast Bear Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 03:54 PM)narsty simon Wrote:

Hain is brilliant with the white ball and cannot cope with the red ball, he was the same last year apart from the odd innings, there is an obvious difference but surely not that much.

Why did we chose not to bring in any new recruits (apart from an injured young bowler) in the close season after losing a couple of proven players ?

We were lucky not to go down last season and when that squad was weakened we did not bring anyone new in, is there any surprise we are as dire as we are ?

Did we spend our money on the new coaching set up and while I am at what has happened with the coaching if this is the best we have ?

When we are beaten comprehensively in a dire 50 qualification (finishing bottom) by Leicestershire, Worcestershire, Northants etc we know we are in trouble.

No players are coming though the academy, I am far from convinced by the odd one they throw in (although Singh did well against Hampshire), what has happened our schools programme and young player recruitment, which was always so good ?

Something appears drastically wrong somewhere, answers to the obvious questions we are all asking are required.

This is going to be a long hard season .......... but I have watched Warwickshire since 1960 and will not give up on them now, once a Bear always a Bear (I support Warwickshire in the T20, not Birmingham Bears), still shocked from sitting through the first three days of the Hampshire fiasco.
I was born a bear
South coast exile, I too am a Bear for always, born in the county so no choice, nailed my colours to the mast aged 5 (1956), seen some dire Warwickshire performances over the years but I won't be giving up on them, not this season or any other. Let's see some 'fight'.
I was born a bear
[-] The following 1 user Likes swadbear's post:
Leicester Exile
(05-06-2017, 04:56 PM)South Coast Bear Wrote: Hain needs time in the middle, a month or so in the2s would benefit both the club and him long term

Great post SCB.

Bears' current record in all cricket in 2017 reads P13 W2 D2 L9

Reading the pre-season predictions I was struck by what looked like undue optimism on the part of many.

It seemed to me obvious that an ageing, under-performing squad in 2016 was unlikely to fare any better in 2017, given no additions from outside and little obvious internal talent knocking on the door - Messrs Thornton and Singh excepted. When we entered the first game of the season with an opening pair of Porterfield and Mellor, it was obvious something was badly wrong.

The cosy consensus of former players in senior coaching positions now augmented by the return of KOS has for me, compounded the issues.

It's not just the defeats. It's the way that younger, hungrier sides are ripping us to pieces.

Some of our opponents - amongst them counties who certain contributors feel should not even be competing at this level - have shredded our bowling attack in turn demolishing their own decades old batting records.

Our batting - apart from the odd honourable exception - looks flaccid and powerless. As for the captaincy - surely it's for the best that Ian steps down for the moment. Although it's difficult to see who else could do the job - I for one would not want to land that on Trotty.

And to add insult to injury - Edgbaston is in lock-down and no first class or List A cricket is being played anywhere in the county for 6 weeks.

Difficult to see Messrs Troughton, Richardson and Frost surviving beyond the end of this season. Still at least we'll be able to see how we compare the regularly disparaged wooden spoon merchants in 2018!
(05-06-2017, 05:14 PM)swadbear Wrote: South coast exile, I too am a Bear for always, born in the county so no choice, nailed my colours to the mast aged 5 (1956), seen some dire Warwickshire performances over the years but I won't be giving up on them, not this season or any other. Let's see some 'fight'.

I agree Swadbear and I too have seen some dire performances over the years, including relegations, but we are currently a shambles in all forms of the game and I can't really remember anything as bad as this.

I was born and bred in Nuneaton, watched Norman Horner and Freddie Gardener open the batting at Nuneaton Griff and Coton when I first got hooked. I have loved watching and following my beloved Warwickshire ever since, I would never give up on them, but this is just not good enough.

We have had some great players over the years (including a couple of the current team) and we have had quite a lot who were not so great, but they made the most of what they had, not sure the current crop are or maybe they just ain't good enough.

When I moved to the South Coast on retirement I considered Membership at Hampshire or Sussex, but nothing compares with Edgbaston and Warwickshire, so I never bothered ............. there is only one Warwickshire, even in exile.
[-] The following 1 user Likes South Coast Bear's post:
Leicester Exile
(05-06-2017, 05:21 PM)DaveC Wrote:
(05-06-2017, 04:56 PM)South Coast Bear Wrote: Hain needs time in the middle, a month or so in the2s would benefit both the club and him long term

Great post SCB.

Bears' current record in all cricket in 2017 reads P13 W2 D2 L9

Reading the pre-season predictions I was struck by what looked like undue optimism on the part of many.

It seemed to me obvious that an ageing, under-performing squad in 2016 was unlikely to fare any better in 2017, given no additions from outside and little obvious internal talent knocking on the door - Messrs Thornton and Singh excepted. When we entered the first game of the season with an opening pair of Porterfield and Mellor, it was obvious something was badly wrong.

The cosy consensus of former players in senior coaching positions now augmented by the return of KOS has for me, compounded the issues.

It's not just the defeats. It's the way that younger, hungrier sides are ripping us to pieces.

Some of our opponents - amongst them counties who certain contributors feel should not even be competing at this level - have shredded our bowling attack in turn demolishing their own decades old batting records.

Our batting - apart from the odd honourable exception - looks flaccid and powerless. As for the captaincy - surely it's for the best that Ian steps down for the moment. Although it's difficult to see who else could do the job - I for one would not want to land that on Trotty.

And to add insult to injury - Edgbaston is in lock-down and no first class or List A cricket is being played anywhere in the county for 6 weeks.

Difficult to see Messrs Troughton, Richardson and Frost surviving beyond the end of this season. Still at least we'll be able to see how we compare the regularly disparaged wooden spoon merchants in 2018!

Agree totally Dave C, as for the Edgbaston lock-down, why not take a game out to the County ......... I was hooked by watching in Nuneaton and Coventry, since then they have played at other grounds, if it is dry I will be watching Surrey at Guildford on Thursday (a small club ground with imported tented facilities and seats), why do other Counties move around and we no longer do ?
Bell did show leadership qualities from an early age and when he captained the academy side overseas was praised by everyone who saw him. He really did look the business in big games like the 2010 CB 40 final but whether or not his captaincy is affecting the batting or vice versa is an argument I cannot answer. Our batting now appears as bad as times during the CC season of 2010 and some of the tripe we saw in the 80's. I wouldn't mind if we scored at a constant 2.5 an over as long as we could get a score on the board. We did v Somerset but it rained on us and now we are back to the same awfulness we saw from day 1 of the season. A win looks a long way off.
Hate to say it guys ,we are a shambles .
Cannot see us winning another 4 day game .Seeing a player I have supported over last few weeks being run out ,first wicket down ,after spending two days in field is shambolic .Some of the shots in that first innings were awful ,was our batting coach there watching .
As one bear follower said in an earlier post ,it's all a little bit too cosy ,very alarming .
Apart from Trott and the captain our batting is way behind most teams .Is anybody coaching Umeed ,Hain and Lamb all have gone backwards ,no not a dip in form ,just not good enough .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Richardparker's post:
South Coast Bear