Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hampshire Away
There are some similarities between us and Hampshire this year. A website named after the ground, not the club. A management more interested in property development than cricket. A squad with some quality but that is lacking depth and often doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. This game could go either way.

Dawson and Vince are on duty with the England Lions so reserves will be needed for a Hampshire batting line up that is flaky. There's a lot of power in it but there has been a tendency for that to be accompanied by a kamikaze approach to shot selection. Bailey and Roussow in particular seem to treat each game as if it was a T20. Spectacular if they come off, ugly if they don't.

On the bowling side, Abbott is quality. We have seen Crane rip us apart before so I hope our batsmen have been practising against Poysden. The rest of Hampshire's bowling is decent but not scary. Ervine and Topley are both injury prone but seem to be ok at the moment. Berg is the kind of under-the-radar all rounder that every county should value.

It looks like the weather will be fine for most of the weekend. Looking forward to some good cricket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrizzlyBear's post:
narsty simon
The Bears need to watch out for Mason Crane's secret weapon - the double bouncer with which he bowled a well-set Dean Elgar at Taunton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlTrmDf7SkM

It reminded me of Pradeep Mathew, the hero of the novel Chinaman by Shehan Karunatilaka.  Mathew was a Sri Lankan mystery bowler whose secret weapon was a ball that bounced twice, spinning in a different direction each time.
Maybe Josh Poysden can practise that one.
Keep up-to-date with County Cricket at http://deepextracover.com/
Whilst there are some similarities between the teams, there is one slight difference - Hampshire sit very comfortably in 3rd position in the table whereas Warwickshire are 7th.
(31-05-2017, 05:04 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: There are some similarities between us and Hampshire this year. A website named after the ground, not the club. A management more interested in property development than cricket. A squad with some quality but that is lacking depth and often doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. This game could go either way.

Dawson and Vince are on duty with the England Lions so reserves will be needed for a Hampshire batting line up that is flaky. There's a lot of power in it but there has been a tendency for that to be accompanied by a kamikaze approach to shot selection. Bailey and Roussow in particular seem to treat each game as if it was a T20. Spectacular if they come off, ugly if they don't.

On the bowling side, Abbott is quality. We have seen Crane rip us apart before so I hope our batsmen have been practising against Poysden. The rest of Hampshire's bowling is decent but not scary. Ervine and Topley are both injury prone but seem to be ok at the moment. Berg is the kind of under-the-radar all rounder that every county should value.

It looks like the weather will be fine for most of the weekend. Looking forward to some good cricket.

Following their win @Taunton with Crane amongst the wickets I expect to rock up on Friday to be greeted with a raging bunsen
(01-06-2017, 07:23 AM)narsty simon Wrote:
(31-05-2017, 05:04 PM)GrizzlyBear Wrote: There are some similarities between us and Hampshire this year. A website named after the ground, not the club. A management more interested in property development than cricket. A squad with some quality but that is lacking depth and often doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. This game could go either way.

Following their win @Taunton with Crane amongst the wickets I expect to rock up on Friday to be greeted with a raging bunsen

Yes Somerset miscalculated when they produced a spinners' pitch and then left out their third spinner.  When they lost the toss and were batting last, their fate was sealed.
Squads for tomorrow:
https://warwickshireccc.com/news/squad-h...ship-2017/
https://www.ageasbowl.com/cricket/news/m...ship-2017/
BBC Live Events‏ @TuneInLiveEvent 4m4 minutes ago

Tune in to live event 1 for @hantscricket v @WarwickshireCCC commentary. @solentsport @bbcwm @BBCcovsport

Hampshire won the toss and elected to bat
Day 1 Current time 10:42 local, 09:42 GMT | Match begins in: 0:18
Hampshire Team
MA Carberry, JHK Adams, RR Rossouw, GJ Bailey*, SM Ervine, IG Holland, LD McManus†, GK Berg, KJ Abbott, MS Crane
Warwickshire Team
ARI Umeed, IJ Westwood, IJL Trott, IR Bell*, SR Hain, TR Ambrose†, R Clarke, KHD Barker, WB Rankin, GT Thornton, Sukhjit Singh

Very pleased that Andy Umeed, Sunny & Grant have retained their places in the team.
While Robert may be bad, Robert is not all Mugabe's.
There are GOOD Mugabe's
It is Warwickshire County Cricket Club!
Hampshire won the toss and decided to bat.  They're already 2 down (both wickets for Keith Barker, who opened with Ricki Clarke) - 28 for 2.
(02-06-2017, 11:42 AM)Bald Reynard Wrote: Hampshire won the toss and decided to bat.  They're already 2 down (both wickets for Keith Barker, who opened with Ricki Clarke) - 28 for 2.

Boyd's back - first change - 1 over, 1 wicket for 2 runs !  Hants now 34-3 !
Great to see Boyd back. He has been greatly missed
Paul fondled my onion bags.
Failed to capitalise on a good start. Wickets needed
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lilly's post:
Warleybear
An over of spin from Rikki before tea, great knock by Ervine proper opener's inns from Adams
I listened to some of the morning session during my drive to work, and was feeling quite happy.
I leave a long meeting to see we haven't taken any more wickets. Not so happy now. :-(
(02-06-2017, 03:55 PM)narsty simon Wrote: An over of spin from Rikki before tea, great knock by Ervine proper opener's inns from Adams

Ervine does this to us EVERY time.  I can't remember a Championship game when he hasn't got a century against us.  I think Adams also regularly gets a load of runs against us.  What is it with players having favourite opposition teams ?!
No complaints about the performance today. The bowlers - all seven of them - stuck to it, the fielding remained sharp all day, the captain kept fairly attacking fields. But we appear to be playing on a road. After the shine went off the new ball nothing got past the bat. It's not as if it was particularly dominant batting - to bat all day for less than 300 runs when you are not losing wickets is, well, dull.

Of course you shouldn't judge a pitch until both sides have batted on it but this does remind me of the one here in 2011 when Carberry and McKenzie batted all day to deny us the Championship. I had been hoping to watch Andy Umeed bat but it may be Sunday before he gets a chance. Call it a draw now.
Agreed,no one bowled badly&Boyd in particular looked lively @times,wouldn't though be so confident on the draw yet, how many times have we seen a side collapse facing a big total on a perfect batting track, scoreboard pressure & all that, however if Trott gets in he could go big again
[-] The following 1 user Likes narsty simon's post:
rednalbear
Sunny Singh 6for
Run out when chasing 500. Ridiculous start
Absolutely barmy
And two more wickets.